Welcome to Ask Cherek

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

hennef

Post#166 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:37 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
Six_Of_One wrote:Have you noticed this section is also bottom of the forums lists......... does that means anything.
Only that someone (I'm not going to mention Havok by name) doesn't know how important this forum is, it should be near the top. :D

hmmm, who is this strange ][avok you are not mentioning? :-k
have fun!

hennef

Cherek

Post#167 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:43 pm

hennef wrote:
Six_Of_One wrote:Have you noticed this section is also bottom of the forums lists......... does that means anything.
Only that someone (I'm not going to mention Havok by name) doesn't know how important this forum is, it should be near the top. :D

hmmm, who is this strange ][avok you are not mentioning? :-k
I wasn't going to mention his name because I didn't want to be a "name dropper", but since you said it first, it's okay for me to say it. ][avok, ][avok, ][avok, ][avok :blah:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Lord Admiral Static IRJTN

Post#168 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:17 pm

FLETCH wrote:Anyone know a good joke?
Yes I do, Enemy#1 (Shardin). Does that count?
That was my first thought
Lord Admiral Static :static:
Emperor of the Echo Cluster
El Presidente'
Imperial Royal Japanese Texas Navy

Havok
Site Admin

Post#169 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:20 pm

Lord Admiral Static IRJTN wrote:
FLETCH wrote:Anyone know a good joke?
Yes I do, Enemy#1 (Shardin). Does that count?
That was my first thought
Haven't seen you in a while Static. Where you been hiding at?
Regards,
][avok

Post#170 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:33 pm

Cardno wrote:Ive just realised i have been playing for about 10 years myself - but with some pretty big gaps between innings....
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote: It is hard to say tell how many players have been around for ten years or more. I can tell you that there are quite few of us with ten or more years playing Planets.
The question is, how many of us were playing on the Bulletin Boards? Long Before Al Gore's Internet....
El Presidente'

Cherek

Post#171 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:48 pm

Lord Admiral Static IRJTN wrote:The question is, how many of us were playing on the Bulletin Boards? Long Before Al Gore's Internet....
ME! ME! ME!
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Post#172 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:54 pm

FLETCH wrote: I pointed out that Cherek is now the only member of that group still active on this site. Cardno says this only reinforces his claim. The fact that we all know the others are just big girlie girls who took thier bats and balls and went home is irrelevant.
Girlie Girls......

Leave it to Fletchly Scum to Mock Lord Admiral Static and the Imperial Royal Japanese Texas Navy....

Since my untimely dismissal from Circus Maximus, I have been attempting a relocation to Little Rock... But alas, after four months of negotating with the FAA, the position has fallen through. At this time, I welcome all comers who would like a piece of Lord Admiral Static, with or without the support of Commodore's Yanaga and Cherek.

But, this is a topic area for questions, not challenges or boasts...
El Presidente'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#173 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:15 pm

Cardno wrote:Ive just realised i have been playing for about 10 years myself - but with some pretty big gaps between innings....
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote: It is hard to say tell how many players have been around for ten years or more. I can tell you that there are quite few of us with ten or more years playing Planets.
The question is, how many of us were playing on the Bulletin Boards? Long Before Al Gore's Internet....
Started with a 386sx machine (with a turbo button that took me to 25mhz) and a 2400 dialup connection. MS-Dos 4.5 or 5.0, not sure there. My copy of VGAP was the original DOS version on the 3.5 floppy. I still have it. Used to play on a Telegard BBS DF ran at the time called The Oasis. Those were the days.
Regards,
][avok

Post#174 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:28 pm

Ok, so I see no real questions in the last few pages. So Riddle us this.

Cherek, whom is/was..... (non Imperial Royal Japanese Texas Navy)

Greatest ally
Greatest opponent
Biggest Pain in your six
Biggest Cheater you have come up against
Sneakiest player you have played with
Favorite WWIV Bulletin Board
Favorite Wildcat Bulletin Board (Who cares, if you didn't run WWIV, you weren't in the front of the pack !!)
IF I were to put my WWIV BBS back up with a front end hook up via the net. Would you return to the BBS world?
El Presidente'

Post#175 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:48 pm

Havok wrote:
Started with a 386sx machine (with a turbo button that took me to 25mhz) and a 2400 dialup connection. MS-Dos 4.5 or 5.0, not sure there. My copy of VGAP was the original DOS version on the 3.5 floppy. I still have it. Used to play on a Telegard BBS DF ran at the time called The Oasis. Those were the days.
Still have it???? I still USE my 3.5 Floppy's of the Dos Version. But this is not the place to debate the DOS vs Windows version AGAIN...

I was the SYSOP for Static's Sportsline on the WWIV system. The system for the Sports Junkie..... Featuring the following online games:
Crunch League Football
Crunch League Baseball
Electric Commerce
Bowling
Golf
Hockey
Drag Racing
And for those who didn't want to play any of the online sports games, you could always grab a Hooker and join a friendly game of Pimp Wars or worse, play Trade Wars.......

But, remember, the more you POST.... The more time online for Trade Wars....
El Presidente'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#176 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:50 pm

Lord Admiral Static IRJTN wrote:Ok, so I see no real questions in the last few pages. So Riddle us this.

Greatest ally
Greatest opponent
Biggest Pain in your six
Favorite Wildcat Bulletin Board (Who cares, if you didn't run WWIV, you weren't in the front of the pack !!)
IF I were to put my WWIV BBS back up with a front end hook up via the net. Would you return to the BBS world?

WWIV was a joke :) That's why Telegard and later Renegade each got hacked from it's source.
Regards,
][avok

Junior

Post#177 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:51 pm

Well, the questions are good, but the general thread really brings back memories.

I first played by handing my turns to the host on a floppy... Until he set up a small bbs to dial into. I started playing around 1992 or 1993. I cannot remember which year. I too printed out the echo cluster on four sheets of paper with my dot-matrix printer to map out my strategy.

Planets is a good game to get you thinking, trying to outsmart opponents that may be bigger and stronger than yourself.

Man, I remember one big backstabber. I joined a game at around turn 30 as the Crystals (replacement). I was allied to the Bird player (top of the scores) for probably 20 more turns until he arbitrarily decided to turn on me. Wow, did I ever lose a lot quickly. I was totally unprepared! Being in a full alliance I was not expecting it at all. I can't remember the name of the player. It sucked, but it was still fun. When you reach the point where you will die when an ally attacks you, it really makes you use your resources to the utmost to do damage to the player who backstabbed you!
"In distinguishing the advantages of the tools of warriors, we find that whatever the weapon, there is a time and situation in which it is appropriate."
- Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Havok
Site Admin

Post#178 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:57 pm

Havok wrote:
Still have it???? I still USE my 3.5 Floppy's of the Dos Version. But this is not the place to debate the DOS vs Windows version AGAIN...

I was the SYSOP for Static's Sportsline on the WWIV system. The system for the Sports Junkie..... Featuring the following online games:
Crunch League Football
Crunch League Baseball
Electric Commerce
Bowling
Golf
Hockey
Drag Racing
And for those who didn't want to play any of the online sports games, you could always grab a Hooker and join a friendly game of Pimp Wars or worse, play Trade Wars.......

But, remember, the more you POST.... The more time online for Trade Wars....
Never liked WWIV, but to each their own. DF and I ran BBS's as well. Tradewars, Stock Exchange, Baron Realms Elite. Only sports game I remember was some wrestling game called Bodyslam or something like that. Was pretty funny. We also had a football pool for several years for download credits. That was really cool.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#179 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:08 pm

Lord Admiral Static IRJTN wrote:Ok, so I see no real questions in the last few pages. So Riddle us this.

Greatest ally
Greatest opponent
Biggest Pain in your six
I'd visit, play a game or two.

Sorry to hear that job fell through.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Post#180 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:17 pm

Havok wrote:
Lord Admiral Static IRJTN wrote: IF I were to put my WWIV BBS back up with a front end hook up via the net. Would you return to the BBS world?

WWIV was a joke :) That's why Telegard and later Renegade each got hacked from it's source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWIV

Due to its popularity, WWIV influenced later BBS programs. VBBS, written by Roland DeGraaf in 1990 using QuickBASIC, contained a WWIV-type interface and networking that was compatiable with WWIVnet. Early versions of VBBS listed features such as "WWIV Compatible" and "Can be run as a door from WWIV BBS." Telegard and Renegade BBS packages were heavily based on an older version of WWIV source code, as were countless others. A WWIV clone for the Apple Macintosh called Hermes was also available.
El Presidente'

Return to “Ask Cherek”