Welcome to Ask Cherek

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Havok
Site Admin

Post#181 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:48 pm

Lord Admiral Static IRJTN wrote:
Havok wrote:
Lord Admiral Static IRJTN wrote: IF I were to put my WWIV BBS back up with a front end hook up via the net. Would you return to the BBS world?

WWIV was a joke :) That's why Telegard and later Renegade each got hacked from it's source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWIV

Due to its popularity, WWIV influenced later BBS programs. VBBS, written by Roland DeGraaf in 1990 using QuickBASIC, contained a WWIV-type interface and networking that was compatiable with WWIVnet. Early versions of VBBS listed features such as "WWIV Compatible" and "Can be run as a door from WWIV BBS." Telegard and Renegade BBS packages were heavily based on an older version of WWIV source code, as were countless others. A WWIV clone for the Apple Macintosh called Hermes was also available.
DF ran VBBS later after his Telegard got hacked. VBBS is free now, and it's still a damn fine piece of software.

http://www.vadvbbs.com/

But the point is, people didn't like WWIV and saw potential in it. So they made it into something completely different. VBBS was a monster. I preferred Renegade with my IBM BBS of Circus-Maximus. I modded that thing so much you couldn't even tell it was Renegade. I think Cott Lange was making it at the time.

For you real old farts, I ran a Commodore 64 BBS too. :)
Regards,
][avok

B A N E

Post#182 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:56 pm

Lord Admiral Static IRJTN wrote: The question is, how many of us were playing on the Bulletin Boards? Long Before Al Gore's Internet....
Somebody ring?

:bang:
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cardno

Post#183 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:51 am

FLETCH wrote: I pointed out that Cherek is now the only member of that group still active on this site. Cardno says this only reinforces his claim. The fact that we all know the others are just big girlie girls who took thier bats and balls and went home is irrelevant.
Girlie Girls......

Leave it to Fletchly Scum to Mock Lord Admiral Static and the Imperial Royal Japanese Texas Navy....

Since my untimely dismissal from Circus Maximus, I have been attempting a relocation to Little Rock... But alas, after four months of negotating with the FAA, the position has fallen through. At this time, I welcome all comers who would like a piece of Lord Admiral Static, with or without the support of Commodore's Yanaga and Cherek.

But, this is a topic area for questions, not challenges or boasts...

Banished were u mate? Or was it self imposed?

FLETCH

Post#184 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:42 pm

Static Wrote:
"Leave it to Fletchly Scum to Mock Lord Admiral Static "

"Mr Static"
Now I could take the easy way out and start slinging names back at a total stranger.........

But I choose to take the constructive route and recommend you read Desert-Fox's contribution to the newsletter "Player Etiquette".

You might learn something.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Six_Of_One

Post#185 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:50 am

FLETCH wrote:Static Wrote:

"Mr Static"
Now I could take the easy way out and start slinging names back at a total stranger.........

But I choose to take the constructive route and recommend you read Desert-Fox's contribution to the newsletter "Player Etiquette".

Dunno about his first bit, he goes on about getting ya turns in and then says he knows RL gets in the way so ya should post if ya late......... heres my problem, he's talking about early in the game when turns take a couple of minutes............ if i had a couple of minutes to find a forum and post, i could have done my shots ............

Ppl fail to take into account time zones i think.

Then i read what Merlyn had to say and wondered why he had not sought to retrieve the data from the dead drive........ after all the disk/s can be removed and put into another drive for data retrieval........ dam sure i would go down that path to get my 10 years of data back........ even if i wasnt going to host again.......

But thats me, i hate inanimate objects trying to get above me on the food chain.
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Cherek

Post#186 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:54 am

Six_Of_One wrote:Ppl fail to take into account time zones i think.
I'm sure he is taking in account of time zones. What he is referring is when a game is on turn 5 through 15 and is scheduled to run in the early am on M, W, F, almost everyone has there turns by 6pm (-6:00 GMT) of the today host runs except one or two players wait until a couple of hours before host is scheduled to run, or they get their turn in early on Monday and then waits until Thursday evening to send in their next turn.
Six_Of_One wrote:Then i read what Merlyn had to say and wondered why he had not sought to retrieve the data from the dead drive........ after all the disk/s can be removed and put into another drive for data retrieval........ dam sure i would go down that path to get my 10 years of data back........ even if i wasnt going to host again.......
Have you priced on how much it cost to have data retrieved from a dead hard drive? It was quoted to us that it would cost $1200 (USD) retrieved the data off a 40GB laptop hard drive.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#187 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:03 pm

Six_Of_One wrote:

"Mr Static"

Dunno about his first bit, he goes on about getting ya turns in and then says he knows RL gets in the way so ya should post if ya late......... heres my problem, he's talking about early in the game when turns take a couple of minutes............ if i had a couple of minutes to find a forum and post, i could have done my shots ............

Then i read what Merlyn had to say and wondered why he had not sought to retrieve the data from the dead drive........ after all the disk/s can be removed and put into another drive for data retrieval........ dam sure i would go down that path to get my 10 years of data back........ even if i wasnt going to host again.......

But thats me, i hate inanimate objects trying to get above me on the food chain.
DF's point is that it takes a few minutes to play those early turns. Time Zone's or not, the turns take less than 5 minutes. His question is, if it takes 5 minutes to play your turn, why do some people wait until day 3 between host run's and 10 minutes before the host processes turns, to get their turn in? It makes you think that person isn't really so intrested in playing the game, after all, if they wanted to play, why take so long.

I think in Merlyn's case (I could be wrong) the drive is actually not spinning at all and they need to disassemble the drive and put the cylinder into another chasis. I know it needs to be done by a service and it's going to cost some serious dough.
Regards,
][avok

Lord Admiral Static IRJTN

Post#188 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:13 pm

Cardno wrote:
Since my untimely dismissal from Circus Maximus, I have been attempting a relocation to Little Rock...

Banished were u mate? Or was it self imposed?
I felt as if I was banished, but it was a mis-understanding on my part. And there was probably a little self imposed in there as well....
Lord Admiral Static :static:
Emperor of the Echo Cluster
El Presidente'
Imperial Royal Japanese Texas Navy

Post#189 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:38 pm

"Mr Static"

Player Etiquette... Interesting.... As I was only responding to your Girli Girl remark posted towards the IRJTN...

Have I crossed the line? The forum's we made for taunting, good humor and conversation etc..... It's all in good fun.

You may have been offended at a little shot across the bow. But I do not see how I violated any of Desert Fox's comments in his column.

After all, Some people like having a good ole fashioned Villian hanging around. But that would be Enemy # 1, as the Imperial Royal Japanese Texas Navy are definently the "Good Guys".

But I welcome comments from everyone... Was I, Lord Admrial Static, Emperior of the Echo Cluster, El Presidente' of the Imperial Royal Japanese Texas Navy out of line? Or was I just passing Gas?
El Presidente'

Cherek

Post#190 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:51 pm

Lord Admiral Static IRJTN wrote:But I welcome comments from everyone... Was I, Lord Admrial Static, Emperior of the Echo Cluster, El Presidente' of the Imperial Royal Japanese Texas Navy out of line? Or was I just passing Gas?
Nope!
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#191 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:54 pm

Crap,
there goes the neighborhood, Static is back and some *R(*#&ER people are feeding him. Bad enough some are feeding the She Rek, but to feed Lord Sloth is the bottom of the pit... I bet Static's computer Crashed on him when he typed that the IRJTN=good guys. :buttkick:
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Shardin5

Post#192 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:04 pm

"Mr Static"

Fletch,
I hope you watched the Original Star Trek, it will make understanding Static easier. Picture and old lumpy sailor who thinks he is Lord Garth from the planet where all the insane people were sent. If you have that picture in your mind, you have Static to a T, so don't take him seriously, he is quite harmless, but he is a sneaky sum bitch though.
President Ronald Reagan

Shardin5

Post#193 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:11 pm

Havok wrote:
Six_Of_One wrote:

"Mr Static"

DF's point is that it takes a few minutes to play those early turns. Time Zone's or not, the turns take less than 5 minutes. His question is, if it takes 5 minutes to play your turn, why do some people wait until day 3 between host run's and 10 minutes before the host processes turns, to get their turn in? It makes you think that person isn't really so intrested in playing the game, after all, if they wanted to play, why take so long.

I think in Merlyn's case (I could be wrong) the drive is actually not spinning at all and they need to disassemble the drive and put the cylinder into another chasis. I know it needs to be done by a service and it's going to cost some serious dough.
I know in my case, though this doesn't happen in the early rounds to often, Travel is murder, and I will wait to do a turn on a plane or while in a airport to give me something to do, so I get the turn, but don't do it right away as I know want something to do later. With last weeks travel I have hit 100k now with AmericaWest and with travel the next 3 weeks, I will hit 85+ with American. :whip:
President Ronald Reagan

Post#194 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:53 pm

Enemy#1 wrote: If you have that picture in your mind, you have Static to a T, so don't take him seriously, he is quite harmless, but he is a sneaky sum bitch though.
Why Thank you Dnorval..... :static:

What a lovely Emoticon.... Commodore Cherek may have his own Topic area..... But I have an Emoticon named after me 8) :sly:

Nice Job ][avok
Last edited by Lord Admiral Static IRJTN on Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Presidente'

Cherek

Post#195 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:58 pm

Enemy#1 wrote: If you have that picture in your mind, you have Static to a T, so don't take him seriously, he is quite harmless, but he is a sneaky sum bitch though.
Why Thank you Dnorval..... :static:

What a lovely Emoticon.... Commodore Cherek may have his own Topic area..... But I have an Emoticon named after me 8) :sly:

Nice Job Havak
Now when you beat him in a game, you can also beat his head with you big stick. :smashy:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Ask Cherek”