missing data on stranded ship

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Catman

missing data on stranded ship

Post#1 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:21 pm

Cherek,
In a game I'm in the Orion stole a Merlin and it's now stranded in my minefield. It's been there a couple turns. I wanted to tow it back to base this turn, but it has missing data when scanning it so I cannot intercept it. It is moving still without feul so I cannot just make it a waypoint.
What can I do? The only data shown is that it is Privateer owned, 955 mass and ID#259. Warp speed and Hull is unkown. Is this some trick I do not know about?

Catman

Cherek

Post#2 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:20 am

A trick, no. You are not reading all the ship information. Some older Winplan and DOSPlan versions can only indentify 500 enemy objects.

What client and version are you using? Are you also using EchoView or VPA?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Catman

Post#3 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:23 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:A trick, no. You are not reading all the ship information. Some older Winplan and DOSPlan versions can only indentify 500 enemy objects.

What client and version are you using? Are you also using EchoView or VPA?
I'm using Winplan 3.52.025 and yes Echoview shows it as a Merlin. We have reached only 383 ships in the game. It is Phost 3.2.3.4a

Catman

Cherek

Post#4 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:17 pm

It has been a very long time since I played PHost 3.X. I'd email the host and ask him to check the game log file to see if there is an error. There may be some corrupted ship data somewhere. Since you are using WinPlan 3.52.025 there shouldn't be any problems reading the ship data or intercepting it.

If you have a game directory that you are not using, I’d copy the latest RST and Phost files into another game directory to see if it solves the problem.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Catman

Post#5 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:58 pm

ok, another question.

I have 2 directories on my root drive "planets" and "planets2" for use if I have more than 8 games haha.

I deleted the info in planets2/vpwork8 and somehow it deleted the vpwok8 directory in "planets" also. This has happend before. Is there some special directory structure I have to make to stop this?

Catman

Cherek

Post#6 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:29 pm

Catman wrote:ok, another question.

I have 2 directories on my root drive "planets" and "planets2" for use if I have more than 8 games haha.

I deleted the info in planets2/vpwork8 and somehow it deleted the vpwok8 directory in "planets" also. This has happend before. Is there some special directory structure I have to make to stop this?

Catman
Can't go to the recycle bin and find the vpwork8 directory and restore it? If not, just create a directory called vpwork8 under planets2. I have never tried renaming one of the vpworkX directories to see what happens.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Catman

Post#7 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:44 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:

Can't go to the recycle bin and find the vpwork8 directory and restore it? If not, just create a directory called vpwork8 under planets2. I have never tried renaming one of the vpworkX directories to see what happens.
That's what I ended up doing. Was just wondering why when I deleted files in directory planets2\vpwork8 it also deleted files in planets\vpwork8. It may be a windows quirk.

Catman

Cherek

Post#8 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:49 pm

Catman wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:

That's what I ended up doing. Was just wondering why when I deleted files in directory planets2\vpwork8 it also deleted files in planets\vpwork8. It may be a windows quirk.

Catman
Shouldn't have deleted planets/vpwork8
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Ask Cherek”