Please enlight me about killing off amorphous worms

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

RealMurphy

Please enlight me about killing off amorphous worms

Post#1 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:37 am

Hi Cherek,

After browsing several help pages and other bits about the Fascists and Worms I am puzzled.

Can you explain to me why anyone would seriously consider self-pillaging an amorphous worm planet to death instead of popping it?

Thanks

RM

planetmaker

Re: Please enlight me about killing off amorphous worms

Post#2 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:06 am

RealMurphy wrote: Can you explain to me why anyone would seriously consider self-pillaging an amorphous worm planet to death instead of popping it?
RM
It's a matter of long-term profit vs. short-term profit. Do the calculation for the gain in MC and supplies for a pop and several pillages on a decently temperatured world with a decent population of worms that you allow to re-grow to its previous population between consecutive pillages.

RealMurphy

Post#3 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:19 am

According to my simulations this only works if you are really, really careful with pillaging and keeping their happiness over 70%.

Which means for a large planet only pillaging every 2-3 turns if you really want to keep that up.

I've done a short simu with a planet with about 60000 worm clans on it. If you pillage that every turn and can thus negelct growth after very few turns it takes about 23-25 turns to clean that planet and it yields about 200 MCr *less* than a clean pop.

Given the amount of time involved here, I think having 6000 supplies now, plus an extra planet far outweighs the long term efforts of pillaging the planet throughout a game.

But maybe there is a mistake in my reasoning here. I'd appreciate any extra insight :)

planetmaker

Post#4 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:42 am

RealMurphy wrote:According to my simulations this only works if you are really, really careful with pillaging and keeping their happiness over 70%.
True.
I've done a short simu with a planet with about 60000 worm clans on it. If you pillage that every turn and can thus negelct growth after very few turns it takes about 23-25 turns to clean that planet and it yields about 200 MCr *less* than a clean pop.

Given the amount of time involved here, I think having 6000 supplies now, plus an extra planet far outweighs the long term efforts of pillaging the planet throughout a game.

But maybe there is a mistake in my reasoning here. I'd appreciate any extra insight :)
Well, the point is to NOT clean the planet of the amorphous worms within this scenario but to farm them just like Bovis. Assume, you have 6 Mio worms, they are growing at 5% and gain 5% happiness each turn. Then you'd be able to pillage them at least every 5th turn without any loss in happyness and - more important in numbers - and generate 600 supplies and MC every 5th turn. After 30 turns, you'd already have gained 3000 supplies and 3000 money - the same, you'd have, if you just pop-ed them right away. And you didn't loose a ship doing so. Everything else in the following turns is bonus material.

Doing an exact calculation will yield the break even even earlier. I didn't take into account the cost of a popper (>~600supplies tlist, >~1150supplies plist) and the additional growth of the natives as my calculation yielded a pillage frequency of 4.5 turns.
AFAIK the only thing you've to make sure is that the planet is inhabited. Otherwise the natives don't grow.

Arguably, 6000 supplies right now might be in some cases better than 3000 supplies and 3000MC over 25-30 turns, but that depends upon your situation. Amorphous on an unhabitable planet or with a bad governement probably aren't worth this "friendly" treatment.

RealMurphy

Post#5 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:10 am

Ah ok, thre is my error: I made a wrong assumption regarding their happiness, i.e. that it will get better (albeit only with fresh colonists every turn) ;)

OK, then it does make sense, as long as it's not really early in the game or the planet is a mineral rich one which could come in very handy very early in the game.

Thanks a lot, I'll refine my simulations

Return to “Ask Cherek”