Transferring winplan from one laptop to another

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cardno

Transferring winplan from one laptop to another

Post#1 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:04 pm

Need some input from some geeky, know-it all I.T. fella :lol: I thought this was JUST the right place to come to.

I am getting registration errors as a result of phsycially moving my files from one laptop to another. Don't have the original discs anymore.

Can anyone help please, so I can get started on No Frills 46 and stop holding them up there.

Thanks

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Transferring winplan from one laptop to another

Post#2 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:39 pm

Cardno wrote:Need some input from some geeky, know-it all I.T. fella :lol: I thought this was JUST the right place to come to.

I am getting registration errors as a result of phsycially moving my files from one laptop to another. Don't have the original discs anymore.

Can anyone help please, so I can get started on No Frills 46 and stop holding them up there.

Thanks
Do you mean Registry errors? That means you have installed programs that have marks in the registry of windows in the original machine that do not exist in the new machine. So the program is some of your Windows based vgap programs.

You should do a fresh install on the new laptop, then just copy over your sub game folders if you're using Winplan.
Regards,
][avok

Raven2

Post#3 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:51 pm

If you don't have your original installation discs anymore, you can download the shareware version and install it. This will write VGAP into your computer's registry.
Then copy the files from your registered VGAP folder from your old laptop to the PLAN1 folder (or whatever you named it) your new one. By doing so, you will overwrite the unregistered program with your registered copy.

Another option...you can e-mail Tim, explain the situation, and ask him for a registration code. I had to do this once...he was kind enough to send it to me. As I recall, I was able to download a new version of Winplan and activate it using the code Tim sent me.

Good luck!
>>> Raven <<<

Havok
Site Admin

Post#4 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:53 pm

Tim will definitely give you your registration info. You can reach him via cocomax@aol.com.

Or you could use VPA or PCC.
Regards,
][avok

Cardno

Re: Transferring winplan from one laptop to another

Post#5 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:29 am

Ok, I will give that a go thanks.
Havok wrote:
Cardno wrote:Need some input from some geeky, know-it all I.T. fella :lol: I thought this was JUST the right place to come to.

Thanks
Do you mean Registry errors? That means you have installed programs that have marks in the registry of windows in the original machine that do not exist in the new machine. So the program is some of your Windows based vgap programs.

You should do a fresh install on the new laptop, then just copy over your sub game folders if you're using Winplan.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#6 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:45 am

YOu must have figured it out. I just ran the first host run for your game.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#7 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:54 am

I don't believe WinPlan writes to the registery.

When you click on a game, does a red box come up and says something about a file and shutdown or is it saying that it can't find a file like threed.vbx?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cardno

Post#8 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:56 am

Late last year, when my old laptop's screen died and I had this problem, I tried to temporarily solve it by buying a 32 inch HD TV. That's how I have done my turns for no frills 45 so far.
Havok wrote:YOu must have figured it out. I just ran the first host run for your game.

Cardno

Post#9 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:57 am

The dreaded red box, saying something like ' registration error'[

quote="Commodore Cherek, IRJTN"]I don't believe WinPlan writes to the registery.

When you click on a game, does a red box come up and says something about a file and shutdown or is it saying that it can't find a file like threed.vbx?[/quote]

Six_Of_One

Post#10 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:43 am

I think Cherek is right, i have transfered winplan from pc to pc without any problems over the years.

Each time i click on it i get the cant find @@@@.vbx and i think there are 5 it looks for. Nowadays i simply have all those files in a folder and copy them to windows system folder.

The only time i got the dreaded red box was with AQ3. I copied winplan to a different drive due to ship lists etc being different. Then i found i couldnt scan the enemy ships because i had not put the ship files in. Having done that i get an error each time i run, but instead of clicking bye, i click the X in the top right corner and it lets me into the game with no problems.
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Cherek

Post#11 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:08 am

Six_Of_One wrote:I think Cherek is right, i have transfered winplan from pc to pc without any problems over the years.

Each time i click on it i get the cant find @@@@.vbx and i think there are 5 it looks for. Nowadays i simply have all those files in a folder and copy them to windows system folder.

The only time i got the dreaded red box was with AQ3. I copied winplan to a different drive due to ship lists etc being different. Then i found i couldnt scan the enemy ships because i had not put the ship files in. Having done that i get an error each time i run, but instead of clicking bye, i click the X in the top right corner and it lets me into the game with no problems.
Reinstall WinPlan on your laptop and enter the registration info. Then you delete the c:\plan directories (do not uninstall) or copy over them with your old WinPlan directories. Now you can copy your old WinPlan directories to the laptop. If you set it up in a different location, then a course you'll have reset up your paths and any other programs you may use. If you use SendTurn Pro, it will have to be reinstalled to be used.

Another way to stop the red box is while you're on the main WinPlan screen, just click on the "Unpack RST's" button.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#12 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:13 am

You might not want to enter your registration info, I think it'll ask you for it the first time you open WinPlan after you copied the files over.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cardno

Post#13 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:56 am

Ok, thanks Cherek - I will give that a go!
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:You might not want to enter your registration info, I think it'll ask you for it the first time you open WinPlan after you copied the files over.

Return to “Ask Cherek”