Launching torpedoes from starbases

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

PaladinCyborg

Launching torpedoes from starbases

Post#1 » Thu May 15, 2008 12:23 pm

I recall being in a game where the description indicated that starbases could launch torpedoes. This game ended before I had an opportunity to see this on the VCRs.

Maybe someone else has experienced this. What was it like and what are the requirements?
Duis digrissim ipsum in rana unicornis!

B A N E

Post#2 » Thu May 15, 2008 12:32 pm

Phost pconfig.src configuration.
Very easy to imbalance the game in favor of starbases & planets.

Maelstrom here was the last AFAIK such game.
From our discussion, the .src config should be set so that there
are limits on how much and what (ie: bases ONLY) have torps.
Else for a dirt cheap cost of ~570, you've got small colonies
smoking rather large vessels that cost 1000s-10000s.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#3 » Thu May 15, 2008 1:38 pm

Yeah, ask the CoM player from Maelstrom about it. Plus, he was attacking the Lizard planets too.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

PaladinCyborg

Post#4 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:37 pm

Just to be clear, in the Maelstrom game, one was able to launch torpedoes from planets without star bases? What was required for that? Did someone simply need to make defensive outposts?

I can see having torpedoes only on star bases + star base torpedo slots + torpedo construction as requirements to prevent an entrenched game.

B A N E

Post#5 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:41 pm

Exactly, I misjudged the impact & botched the pconfig.src with
regards to torpedoes and Plist.

All planets with defposts in Maelstrom had torps and while it may
not sound like much against really big ships, it was brutal.

Small colonies (ie: no base) were chewing big carriers.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#6 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:55 pm

Wasn't it also discussed that IF in the future, another PHost game is made to where SB can launch torps, that they should limit the number of tubes a SB can have?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#7 » Thu May 15, 2008 3:24 pm

Yes and let me go find the specific config as discussed with
planetmaker.

<edit>
viewtopic.php?p=35201#35201

Read my and pm's post following.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#8 » Thu May 15, 2008 3:31 pm

PaladinCyborg, are you asking about the planets/starbase using torps because you're thinking about getting a PHost game up using them?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

PaladinCyborg

Post#9 » Thu May 15, 2008 4:11 pm

Commodore Cherek wrote:
PaladinCyborg, are you asking about the planets/starbase using torps because you're thinking about getting a PHost game up using them?

PaladinCyborg responds:
That's an interesting notion. Like many players, I've imagined hosting a few games myself - although in my imagination they were simple no-frillz type games.

However, at this time I think I would be a terrible host. I don't have the IT technical savvy of the CM's staff, and I expect I'd fall short on responsiveness (working man, married with grandchildren). My hosting would be a real let-down for anyone accustomed to ][avok's.

Mostly, I'm just curious.

Hawkeye

Post#10 » Fri May 16, 2008 7:30 pm

I was playing the CoM in Maelstrom, and as Bane quite rightly pointed out, a low population planet with sufficient defense posts and no starbase would be quite capable of defending against a fully loaded Carillon Class Attack Carrier (9 beams, 13 bays) due to the addition of torps.

This ended up skewing the balance of power heavily in favour of the Lizards, as they could ground combat to take the planet (complete with any existing defense posts), spend a small amount of cash and create a carrier killer. As such, I would need to send 2 carriers to take a single planet, losing one in the process, only to have the Lizards retake the planet via ground combat....

As the CoM I also suffered a massive imbalance in cash to mineral ratio. So much cash that I could easily give away 10K to my ally without putting so much as a nick in the bank, let alone a dent. Minerals on the other hand were woefully short in supply - LDSFs would head out to fairly barren planets to chicken-scratch whatever they could gather, often returning to the starbase with far more supplies than minerals. The high mineral requirements of the larger carriers versus the 2x mining rate of the Lizards meant that this game had an intimely demise

:(

Tei

Post#11 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:24 pm

Since planets with torps were so hard to take, I can't imagine how bad a stocked base or HW would be to take.

I guess a good thing is that one burns through ships in a campaign and that opens up slots. I don't even think we reached the ship limit in Malestrom. Of course too many players quit....

B A N E

Post#12 » Sat May 17, 2008 9:31 am

Tei,
You like Cherek manage a staggering number of games...
How?
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Tei

Post#13 » Sat May 17, 2008 11:20 am

B A N E wrote:Tei,
How?
Seems like I have most evenings to myself with my kids and wife going to bed early. I'm more of a night owl....

VGAP has been my favorite game for a while and I really enjoying having something to play ever nite. If things are planned right, I'll have a mix of old and new games. Lately with my plist games at Planetserver I haven't had the huge empires I sometimes get with Thost... I'm adjusting my economic strategy so maybe I'll get better at it but the small empires do take less time to make a move in!

Cherek

Post#14 » Sat May 17, 2008 12:39 pm

B A N E wrote:Tei,
How?
It's just my wife and myself at home nowadays. I'm now getting home between 5:30 and 7:00 and after I eat, I spent my time between my wife, my computer and the TV. Sometimes, I'll spend more time on the computer than with her, but she knows the next night, I'll try to spend more time with her than the computer. From time to time, my wife will even ask me if I have all my turns in or need to go and review them.

She did get a little upset when she discovered that I was playing in nine games at once. She did put her foot down over that issue. So now I try to keep it under seven games.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

PaladinCyborg

Post#15 » Mon May 19, 2008 1:52 pm

If you think wives are impatient, try two and four year old kids. To my surprize, the four year old knew exactly what the power switch does. :aargh:

Return to “Ask Cherek”