Lets revisit player clients

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Six_Of_One

Lets revisit player clients

Post#1 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:38 am

Ok, so i am/was a confirmed winplan user, and have never had a drama, nor did i feel like i was lacking in information.

Having said that, i finally installed PCC and was impressed with the info available, tho i would prefer a black rather than dark grey background. It handled the last turn of Colossus perfectly, giving a summary of stuff i never knew. (The turn consisted of 272 planets-128 bases and 296 ships)

VPA just flashes a Dos box and disappears into the ether :roll:

Echoview is still standing in the corner, facing the wall, being punished for failing to work.

JVC seems to be a work in progress with little benefit over winplan at this stage.

Given its the 21st century, i dont want to be typing dos commands to fire up VGAP and play...........

So is there a mouse click option for VPA or is it destined for the recycle bin :?: 8)
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Lets revisit player clients

Post#2 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:07 am

Six_Of_One wrote:Ok, so i am/was a confirmed winplan user, and have never had a drama, nor did i feel like i was lacking in information.

Having said that, i finally installed PCC and was impressed with the info available, tho i would prefer a black rather than dark grey background. It handled the last turn of Colossus perfectly, giving a summary of stuff i never knew. (The turn consisted of 272 planets-128 bases and 296 ships)
CC is nice. I use it for my maketurn.
Six_Of_One wrote:VPA just flashes a Dos box and disappears into the ether :roll:
With VPA, place your RST into the game folder (VPA must also be in the game folder.) Then you must enter DOS first. (Run > cmd) then manually switch to the game folder via DOS. Then type VPA a space and the number of the race you're playing. It unpacks the RST and loads up. There's nothing better IMOP.
Six_Of_One wrote:Echoview is still standing in the corner, facing the wall, being punished for failing to work.
Echoview is not a client. It's an information program.
Six_Of_One wrote: So is there a mouse click option for VPA or is it destined for the recycle bin :?: 8)
What I do with each game is use a batch file DF and I came up with years ago. I make a couple of modifications for the batch file for each new game. (paths) and that's it. The batch file loads through an icon on my desktop, and every program that I use is at a fingers touch.
Regards,
][avok

Klauser

Re: Lets revisit player clients

Post#3 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:18 am

Havok wrote:
Six_Of_One wrote:VPA just flashes a Dos box and disappears into the ether :roll:
With VPA, place your RST into the game folder (VPA must also be in the game folder.) Then you must enter DOS first. (Run > cmd) then manually switch to the game folder via DOS. Then type VPA a space and the number of the race you're playing. It unpacks the RST and loads up. There's nothing better IMOP.

Six_Of_One wrote: So is there a mouse click option for VPA or is it destined for the recycle bin :?: 8)
What I do with each game is use a batch file DF and I came up with years ago. I make a couple of modifications for the batch file for each new game. (paths) and that's it. The batch file loads through an icon on my desktop, and every program that I use is at a fingers touch.
Six,

A question for you - what O/S are you running?

I'm a long-time VPA user (XP w/ SP2). I'm running VPA from an icon on my desktop. The session has to run in full-screen DOS mode to work on my rig, but that is a minor trade-off for the amount of info I get with VGP.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Cherek

Post#4 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:11 am

VPA (and DOSPlan) doesn't work in Vista.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#5 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:38 am

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:VPA (and DOSPlan) doesn't work in Vista.
Vista has to work first. :)
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#6 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:48 am

Havok wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:VPA (and DOSPlan) doesn't work in Vista.
Vista has to work first. :)
No problem here with Vista 32 bit. Everything I use for VGAP's works fine with Vista 32 bit. :D now Vista 64 is another issue. :roll:

That is using Vista 32 and 64 bit in native mode. With Vista 64 I had to use a virtual machine software to make it make VGAP software to work.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:23 pm

I just try not to use it at all. :)
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#8 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:30 pm

Out of a year and a half, the only trouble I had with Vista was due to a bad memory module. Not nearly as many re-installs as I did with XP.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#9 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:44 pm

So when are you moving to Apple?
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#10 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:46 pm

HA!!!!!
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#11 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:47 pm

You know that's kinda interesting now that I think about it. There's never been an Apple Mac OS client made for VGAP. There's DOS / Windows / Java, hell even Windows Mobile and Linux, but nothing for Apple...

It's official. Apple sucks... :)
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#12 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:51 pm

Havok wrote:You know that's kinda interesting now that I think about it. There's never been an Apple Mac OS client made for VGAP. There's DOS / Windows / Java, hell even Windows Mobile and Linux, but nothing for Apple...

It's official. Apple sucks... :)
Agreed!
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#13 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:08 am

It might be that MAC users don't play games? At least not any good games :)

Six_Of_One

Post#14 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:27 am

Klauser,
I use XP, and am more than willing to try VPA if you email me your desktop icon :lol:
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Klauser

Post#15 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:41 pm

Six_Of_One wrote:Klauser,
I use XP, and am more than willing to try VPA if you email me your desktop icon :lol:
Well ... it's not quite as simple as just the icon - but I will write up a short set of instructions for you in the next few days and email it out to you.

Which VPA verision are you using?
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Return to “Ask Cherek”