Lets revisit player clients

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

B A N E

Post#31 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:03 am

Matt,

Uhm, vpa 7 from within the winplan directory
without a subdirectory won't work.

It needs to be:
vpa 7 vpwork7
If the game is being played in the 7th winplan gameslot.

Change the 7 to whatever racenumber being played.
Change the vpwork7 to whatever directory being played.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Gilgamesh

Post#32 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:07 pm

Havok wrote: I dont' know about PCC, but with VPA you can use the + / - keys to speed up and slow down fights & simulations.
Just tried - doesn't work with Winplan.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#33 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:10 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Havok wrote: I dont' know about PCC, but with VPA you can use the + / - keys to speed up and slow down fights & simulations.
Just tried - doesn't work with Winplan.
Why not? :P
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Gilgamesh

Post#34 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:23 pm

Beats me - you'll have to ask Tim!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

streu

Post#35 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:06 am

Six_Of_One wrote:PCC has now also been told to stand in the corner with Echoview, and not come out till it decides to play fair........

FIZZ bin........ i know what it is, i know where i can find lots of it, but PCC cant........ oh well, never mind, the vcr's were painfully slow anyways
If you got a problem with PCC, you can always contact PCC support, that is, me :-) Unlike VPA, PCC does not parse your planets.exe or reg.key to find out your registration; instead, it expects a fizz.bin file written by your registered client. Once you have one such file, you can recycle it for every new game you play with PCC.

As long as we agree that PCC should support the registration system, we'll have to keep that procedure. It would be much easier if PCC could make its own "registered" turns, but so far it seems that would not be accepted by anyone (neither Tim nor the community-at-large). The VPA solution reverse-engineered much larger parts of Tim's programs, which has questionable legal value IMHO.
Havok wrote:I dont' know about PCC, but with VPA you can use the + / - keys to speed up and slow down fights & simulations.
Works in PCC as well. Oh, and if you find a faster simulator than the one in PCC (other than PlayVCR), I'll be royally impressed :-)

--Stefan

Six_Of_One

Post#36 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:06 am

streu, it would be my stuff up, not pcc's.
God is punishing me for not sticking with winplan :wink:
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#37 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:59 am

Six_Of_One wrote: God is punishing me for not sticking with winplan :wink:
I think God is punishing for sticking with Winplan for so LONG 8)

Six_Of_One

Post#38 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:10 am

You would have thought an all-knowing-being like God would have foretold the coming of VGAP and put some guidelines down as a commandment.
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Cherek

Post#39 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:44 am

Hey BitMask, how is that new VGAP client coming along? =P~
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#40 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:02 am

Soooooo Slooooooooow :P

I've got some renovations going and then when it's finish I have to move into the place. So the client might stand still until after the move in Sep.

Cherek

Post#41 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:05 am

BitMask wrote:Soooooo Slooooooooow :P

I've got some renovations going and then when it's finish I have to move into the place. So the client might stand still until after the move in Sep.
Just wondering.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#42 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:32 am

While we're on this topic, I have a question for any of the users out there who have Linux based machines.

Has anyone tried either the XK or Gnome Warpad VGAP Clients? Both are available in the downloads area. I have no idea if either of these are finished products, or at least finished enough to use them.

XK looks really interesting to me personally. You can go to the authors homepage via this link:
http://www.yagibdah.de/

There are some excellent screen shots there. However this software may be abandoned as the page hasn't been updated since 2002. I've recently installed Ubuntu on a older box I had sitting around and have been seriously thinking of trying XK on it.

Gnome Warpad's homepage is:
http://gwp.lunix.com.ar/

This one seems to be on the back burner according to the authors most recent post. I show the last site update to be in early 2006. There are also some nice screen captures of GWP in action on this site as well.
Regards,
][avok

streu

Post#43 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:55 am

Havok wrote:Has anyone tried either the XK or Gnome Warpad VGAP Clients? Both are available in the downloads area. I have no idea if either of these are finished products, or at least finished enough to use them.

XK looks really interesting to me personally. You can go to the authors homepage via this link:
http://www.yagibdah.de/

There are some excellent screen shots there. However this software may be abandoned as the page hasn't been updated since 2002. I've recently installed Ubuntu on a older box I had sitting around and have been seriously thinking of trying XK on it.
If you think VPA is hard to learn, xk will be impossible for you. Its interface is very unconventional. I tried it around 2001.

Its author used it exclusively in a game I played with him at that time, so it probably is usable for playing. However, he also has interesting views on C programming which made trying it not easy for me (e.g. it needed about 100 MB RAM, which was a lot at that time). It's also not too easy to compile.
Gnome Warpad's homepage is:
http://gwp.lunix.com.ar/

This one seems to be on the back burner according to the authors most recent post. I show the last site update to be in early 2006. There are also some nice screen captures of GWP in action on this site as well.
I've been watching this program, and I did the German translation. It made a nice start, but then died. Its author used it as an excuse to learn C programming, and has now moved to Python. The start of the Python version was announced in January 06, last progress report August 06.

I play under Linux exclusively. Until PCC2 becomes playable, I use PCC 1.x in DOSEMU. Works like a charm (the reason I play under Linux is that Windows' DOS emulation sucks dead hamsters through nanotubes, and gets worse with every version).

--Stefan

Klauser

Post#44 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:27 pm

B A N E wrote:Matt,

Uhm, vpa 7 from within the winplan directory
without a subdirectory won't work.

It needs to be:
vpa 7 vpwork7
If the game is being played in the 7th winplan gameslot.

Change the 7 to whatever racenumber being played.
Change the vpwork7 to whatever directory being played.
Right - what the Vorlon said.

Since we were talking about VPA, I was thinking about DOS PLANETS directory structure, not WinPlan. Shoulda took that into account with my instructions.

Good catch, BANE. Thanks !
:thumbup:
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Havok
Site Admin

Post#45 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:26 am

DOSplan w/ VPA rules!
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Ask Cherek”