Sunbuster requirements

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

NinjaScott

Sunbuster requirements

Post#1 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:00 am

Hello, I have been attempting to build a Sunbuster device into one of my ships, but have had no success.

Am playing in the 'STB&G: Cheap Shots (109)' game for some time now as the Tholians. As is necessary for this race, I've slow played the whole thing, picking off bordering ships when they've come into my nets. Unfortunately, the Empire player has now begun an aggressive campaign against my territories.

Of course, his fighter missions are devastating to my mostly torpedo boats. My thoughts were to build a Sunbuster capable ship and lure a good portion of his ships to a star that I would then send into shockwave mode.

Problem is, I cannot get said Sunbuster installed. The docs mention one kt of each mineral, an appropriate amt of $$ and Tech 10 torps. I have a T10 DIAMOND FLAME BATTLESHIP sitting over a starbase with over $3000, the minerals and FC set to BSB, but no go.

Do I need to make sure there is space on the ship (I think there is/was, but I could be wrong)? Is this ability coded for a different ship - the EMERALD, maybe? Do I have the incorrect amt of money? Is that configurable (and will CON tell me the right amount)?

The game has reached the 500 limit some time ago. Does that have a bearing on my inability to build such a device? I wouldn't think so since it's a ship FC that is supposed to enable the Sunbuster.

OK, thank you for your time. I anxiously await your response. My next turn is not due until the end of the week so I hope to hear from you soon. If not, I will keep experimenting in hopes I can work it out on my end.

Have a nice weekend,
NinjaScott
"We're all innocent critters squashed on the highway of life!"

-- Gardner Barnes, Groover

Havok
Site Admin

Post#2 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:07 am

I think you may have your amounts mixed up.

In your game I show the following stats:

Core mineral reformation device
cmrd enable: no
cmrd cost: 3000
cmrd save defense: 75
Federation: yes
Lizards: yes
Birdmen: yes
Fascists: yes
Privateers: no
Cyborg: yes
Crystal: no
Empire: yes
Robots: yes
Rebels: yes
Colonies: yes

Helionuclear fusion interupt device
hfid enable: no
hfid cost: 4000
hfid save defense: 100
Federation: no
Lizards: no
Birdmen: no
Fascists: no
Privateers: no
Cyborg: no
Crystal: yes
Empire: no
Robots: no
Rebels: no
Colonies: no

------------------------------------------

Here's the section of the Doc's for building the Sunbuster

------------------------------------------

3.6 Helionuclear Fusion Interrupt Device
Accidentally invented by genuine Crystal scientists on an outer space solar lab and annexed from a Birdmen warship that just passed the station, the HFID (or so called Sunbuster) developed to one of the main weapons of the Birdmen race.

A sunbuster torpedo fired directly into a sun stops all thermonuclear reactions almost instantly and therefore makes the sun go nova and turn into a white dwarf afterwards. This, as a consequence, lets the whole planetary system of this sun become a set of giant, unfriendly icecubes.

3.6.1 Building a Sunbuster - BSB
Similar to the construction of a core torpedo,
your ship needs to have: One kiloton of every mineral, the required amount of money, tech 10 torpedo tubes and of course you have to be able to construct a sunbuster. Build a HFID with fc BSB (build sunbuster).

Like core torpedos, the sunbuster technology may be traded among all races (except for the Solar Federation which will never allow the use of mass destruction weapons). Giving a ship with a sunbuster away to another race should do the job.

The status of the sunbuster on board may be requested by setting the ship's fc to RSB (report sunbuster).

3.6.2 Using a Sunbuster - FSB (shockwave mode)
You order your ship to fire the sunbuster with friendly code FSB. Sunbuster missiles can be fired at distant suns like torpedos. Put your ship's waypoint on the target solar system. The ranges and hit chances are the same as configured for cruise missiles.

The defensive rules against sunbusters are the same as for core torpedos. If you succeeded, your ship should run for its life, because your opponent surely will not be very pleased about what you did...

3.6.3 Using a sunbuster - NSB (nondestructive mode)
At stardate 8696.06.28.2014 tholian scientists revealed a new set of configuration parameters for the already existing sunbuster. This epoch-making discovery allowed to shutdown helionuclear fusion of a star without the typical supernova shockwave that normally would occur.

What does this mean in detail? And what could this be useful for?

The nondestructive mode could be seen as some sort of 'emergency shutdown' for suns that are about to go nova - on you own planets.

Unfortunately you cannot reverse the process of helionuclear breakdown once your scientists realize that your sun is going instable, but you can protect your planet and all units in and near the system from the supernova shockwave. So 'shutting down' a sun this way saves your colony but nevertheless means that this planet will cool down to zero degrees.
Regards,
][avok

Six_Of_One

Post#3 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:37 am

I gather this is an F-Host thingy, but Havok, both the files you first put up both show NO for enabled...

cmrd enable :no
hfid enable:no

Seems a bit like engine shield bonus, it could be set to 60% but no good if not enabled.
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Havok
Site Admin

Post#4 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:04 am

You are right.

That option has been updated. My apologies NinjaScott.

However, those choices should have been 'on' by default. That's one of the big selling points of FHost. None of the features are 'off'.

I'll have to look back at my setup messages with Matt to see if they were selected to be turned off.
Regards,
][avok

Klauser

Post#5 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:48 am

Havok wrote:You are right.

That option has been updated. My apologies NinjaScott.

However, those choices should have been 'on' by default. That's one of the big selling points of FHost. None of the features are 'off'.

I'll have to look back at my setup messages with Matt to see if they were selected to be turned off.
Actually, I'm the one who needs to apologize. I asked Havok to turn it off when we started the game. The exact reason escapes me (it's been over 18 months now), but at this stage of the game it can't hurt to turn it on.

To make matters worse, NinjaScott asked me about the HFID in a previous conversation and I blithely assumed it was on.

So this one was my bad.

Apologies.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

NinjaScott

Age Old Fault

Post#6 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:55 am

Actually, I'm the one who needs to apologize. I asked Havok to turn it off when we started the game. The exact reason escapes me (it's been over 18 months now), but at this stage of the game it can't hurt to turn it on.

To make matters worse, NinjaScott asked me about the HFID in a previous conversation and I blithely assumed it was on.

So this one was my bad.

Apologies.

Well, we did celebrate your Half Century mark within those 18 months. Since most Klingon Warriors don't even make it that far, you can be forgiven a few 'lapses' in memory... :wink:

I did see in the stats that the SB requires at least 4k worth of MC. I guess I'll need to update that in game as well. Will the ability be turned on by next turn (122)?

Thanks for the responses,
NinjaScott
"We're all innocent critters squashed on the highway of life!"

-- Gardner Barnes, Groover

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:53 pm

I turned it on as soon as I read Six's post this morning.
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Ask Cherek”