shareware vs registered ver

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Blackbeard MCMLXV

shareware vs registered ver

Post#1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:50 am

I have been a registered user for some time, but recently switched to a new laptop without a floppy drive. I did get some guidance on how to save a game I was currently in; basicly overlaid a shareware ver of game on top of copied game files -thanks worked great.

Now I just joined leviathan and tried upgrading my engines to 10 and the shareware ver won't go above 7. so unlike the established game how can I get a new game to work.

I tried copying content of my floppies to thumb drive and installing from there. Either I did it wrong or that option doesnt work.

any thoughts?

Blackbeard.
-Arrgh -Blackbeard MCMLXV

Havok
Site Admin

Re: shareware vs registered ver

Post#2 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:53 am

Blackbeard MCMLXV wrote:I have been a registered user for some time, but recently switched to a new laptop without a floppy drive. I did get some guidance on how to save a game I was currently in; basicly overlaid a shareware ver of game on top of copied game files -thanks worked great.

Now I just joined leviathan and tried upgrading my engines to 10 and the shareware ver won't go above 7. so unlike the established game how can I get a new game to work.

I tried copying content of my floppies to thumb drive and installing from there. Either I did it wrong or that option doesnt work.

any thoughts?

Blackbeard.
If you have a DOS installation of the game you can copy the contents of your DOS floppy into a folder on your old PC, then copy that folder into a thumb drive and then copy that folder to your new pc.

From there, you can install the game each time you join a new one. It takes all of 5 seconds to do it.

If you have WinPlan on a floppy you may be able to do the same thing. I'm not exactly sure as I don't use it.

Last but not least, you could always contact Tim and he can send you a new copy of WinPlan on CD.
Regards,
][avok

Burnerboy

Post#3 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:24 pm

I sent Tim an e-mail when I got my new laptop with my name, address and date when I first registered. He e-mailed my REG # and I just entered that and it upgrades the shareware. Easy stuff.

Ron

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#4 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:13 am

Blackbeard, check that you have a file called reg.key in your planets folder after you did all your copies and stuff.

So, after you installed you shareware version, then copied you old WinPlan folders over that .This includes ALL the folders. The complete Planets folder, all files and all sub folders. If you planets folder were c:\plan1\ and the new folder on the new PC is c:\planets\ then you need to copy all the files in c:\plan1\ to c:\planets\ and all the c:\plan1\VPWork* sub folders to the new c:\planets\VPWork* sub folders.

when Winplan starts, it reads the c:\planets\reg.key (Or what ever you folder is) file for the registration stuff and creates a fizz.bin file to store it in for the game in the corresponding VPWork folder that you start you game in. From there on it should use the fizz.bin file for that game.

Shardin5

Post#5 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:16 am

Don't you need Scram21.ole as well?
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

the.Ant

Post#6 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:46 pm

I think so. I always copy scram.ole, reg.key and fizz.bin.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#7 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Oh yes. Thanks for reminding me, guys.

Return to “Ask Cherek”