Periphery map issue

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: What to do from here?

Continue with the game and post all homeworld locations
33%
Remaster the game
67%
Carry on, reval H/Ws, but find me a replacement player
No votes
Total votes: 6

Hawkeye

Periphery map issue

Post#1 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:55 pm

I've had to post this here as the Periphery forum has mysteriously locked itself... :?

As you're probably aware by now, Echoview showed up all the homeworld locations early in the game. Considering the terrific start to the game, I'm happy to continue the game and reveal my homeworld location to all, but others may have a different idea. Our options are:

a) Reveal all homeworld locations and continue the game.
b) Remaster the game
c) Continue game, reveal all H/W locations, but find a replacement player for you

Gavan

Post#2 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:21 pm

Being we are only 16 turns in, Remaster the game is not a big hardship.

(and I run echoview, where do I see all of these HW's)
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Hawkeye

Post#3 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:36 pm

Hmmm... no surprises there after the "All my planets suck" post :)

Cardno

Post#4 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:41 pm

I think a few questions are in order prior to voting.

1. I too run echoview and I didn't see HW locations.
2. IF you saw all the HW's earlier in the game, why didn't you mention something at that point? What has prompted you to mention it now if you did in fact see it several turns earlier??

Cardno

Post#5 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:45 pm

OK after just posting my last post I checked my email and saw a message from the Host. Guess I didn't look carefully enough on echoview.

I'm voting for a continuance, after all, it was pretty obvious from the map configuration where all six HW locations were generally going to be and by now, I would say that those who are closest to each other know of each other's presence (and I know exactly where my nearest neighbour's HW is :twisted: )

Hawkeye - is this why your first 7 or 8 builds were freighters?

FLETCH

Post#6 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:23 pm

You need to have the correct settings set up in the EV config to have it reveal the HWs, IF the info is available for it to read.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Hawkeye

Post#7 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:31 pm

Cardno wrote: I think a few questions are in order prior to voting.

1. I too run echoview and I didn't see HW locations.
For me, it only occured on turn 4, and then nothing after that.
Cardno wrote: 2. IF you saw all the HW's earlier in the game, why didn't you mention something at that point?
Because there was no way of knowing that they were the H/W locations. The only information I could gleam from EV was the race that owned the planet - nothing more whatsoever (ie no info on starbases / minerals / colonist numbers / natives / resources etc). I presumed the info was the latest planet acquired by the race, and not the actual HW itself. No big deal, as I could have approximately guessed the start locations anyway.
Cardno wrote: What has prompted you to mention it now if you did in fact see it several turns earlier??
Several reasons: A) Because we've only just now managed to work out that the planets listed were the homeworlds, and not some random planet. B) We've only now managed to confirm that the data presented in EV is ligitimate, and not a bug/erroneous. C) Given the great start we've made with getting turns in quickly, I didnt want to force a remaster. D) Another player thought it significant enough to call in. and E) Whats the big deal anyway? By the time I get my ships all the way over to any HW, they would be well defended by then. I considered the info "oh now that's interesting", but nothing more. I'll gladly share my HW location with you all.
Cardno wrote: I'm voting for a continuance, after all, it was pretty obvious from the map configuration where all six HW locations were generally going to be and by now, I would say that those who are closest to each other know of each other's presence (and I know exactly where my nearest neighbour's HW is :twisted: )

Hawkeye - is this why your first 7 or 8 builds were freighters?
Well you said it yourself really. It doesn't take a rocket-surgeon to work out that there are 6 players, and based upon your own start location + map shape, it becomes pretty obvious pretty quickly where the other homeworld locations are going to be (within about 100ly). Therefore.... I only have 1 neighbour within "quick strike" range, and if he's any good at this, then he'll be rapidly expanding his economy rather than trying to take out my homeworld. Also, being the Lizards, a ground assault on my homeworld is practically impossible, therefore the only thing would be to take it by force. The only cloakers capable of doing that would also require to pickup fuel along the way - only possible by taking it from one of my planets nearer the center. I would be able to see non-cloakers early enough, giving me time to put together a good defense if required. Basically my strategy of building freighters and getting the economy cranked was sound. The risk involved in doing so rather than building warships was so small it wasn't worth considering. Also in the first 10 turns, most players economies are not developed well enough to build a decent-enough attack force (not to mention everyone else was busy building a few freighters as well). Check out the crystal player - he did exactly the same (building freighters early). Pirates might have sent out an advanced rainding party, and I may have lost maybe 2 freighters before building a Loki, but thats a risk I'm willing to take. It paid off in the long run - those 2 bases I build both had tech 10 engines and were pushing out very useable ships.

Had I not known the extra info, my strategy would be exactly the same, so I consider the game to still be "uncompromised", and worthy of playing on.

Hawkeye

Post#8 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:36 pm

Well no matter what happens to this game, the HW locations can safely be revealed.

Planet 73 Barnards = Lizard
Planet 426 Bootie = Fascist
Planet 140 Rappaport = Privateer
Planet 241 Flatland = Birdmen
Planet 470 Blauvehr = Crystal
Planet 404 Erecka = Solar Fed

Gilgamesh

Post#9 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:31 pm

I'm voting for remaster.

I'm a Klingon. My stock in trade is finding your homeworld early and pillaging it to cripple your economy, because if I don't get an early game advantage my ships won't stand up against your ships in the later game. With the homeworlds revealed this means two things:

1 - heading for your HW now feels like a cheat. I know it's not if everyone knows, but that's just a personal thing.
2 - My neighbours know I'm next to them and coming for them, and they will protect the HW up the wazoo, so my main line of early attack is now gone.
3 - knowing the exact HW territory makes it far too easy for the cloaking races to figure out the prime hunting grounds for snagging freighters.

Now I know with this particular map it's not that hard to figure out where we all are, and I also realize that the info is now out there for everyone to use to their best advantage, so I'll go with the majority rule on this one, or maybe I'll take Hawk's option "c".

Thems just my two cents....

Gil
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Gilgamesh

Post#10 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:47 pm

FLETCH wrote:You need to have the correct settings set up in the EV config to have it reveal the HWs, IF the info is available for it to read.
That explains why I didn't get it. What/where are those settings anyway?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Logain

Post#11 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:02 pm

I'm split on this one. I have had a blast on the fast start and think we have the potential for a great game out of this one. However, I think I have to agree with Gil. Having the HW locations revealed changes the way folks play and the dynamic of the game. It definitely puts some races at a disadvantage.

One warning... I'll be traveling to Hawaii on business from 14-23 May working 12+ hour shifts. If we start over, I won't be able to keep up the same pace. No more than one turn per day :D

I vote remaster.

Thanks for the integrity check Hawkeye,
Logain

Gilgamesh

Post#12 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:21 pm

We have 5 votes out of 6. Denise will either decide it or stalemate it and I don't think she comes onto the forums. ][avok - is there any way you can get her vote, please?

If we stalemate - then what? ][avok, do you cast a deciding vote?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cardno

Post#13 » Sun May 10, 2009 2:16 am

Well you said it yourself really. It doesn't take a rocket-surgeon to work out that there are 6 players, and based upon your own start location + map shape, it becomes pretty obvious pretty quickly where the other homeworld locations are going to be (within about 100ly). Therefore.... I only have 1 neighbour within "quick strike" range, and if he's any good at this, then he'll be rapidly expanding his economy rather than trying to take out my homeworld. Also, being the Lizards, a ground assault on my homeworld is practically impossible, therefore the only thing would be to take it by force. The only cloakers capable of doing that would also require to pickup fuel along the way - only possible by taking it from one of my planets nearer the center. I would be able to see non-cloakers early enough, giving me time to put together a good defense if required. Basically my strategy of building freighters and getting the economy cranked was sound. The risk involved in doing so rather than building warships was so small it wasn't worth considering. Also in the first 10 turns, most players economies are not developed well enough to build a decent-enough attack force (not to mention everyone else was busy building a few freighters as well). Check out the crystal player - he did exactly the same (building freighters early). Pirates might have sent out an advanced rainding party, and I may have lost maybe 2 freighters before building a Loki, but thats a risk I'm willing to take. It paid off in the long run - those 2 bases I build both had tech 10 engines and were pushing out very useable ships.

Had I not known the extra info, my strategy would be exactly the same, so I consider the game to still be "uncompromised", and worthy of playing on.
Yes I did see that the Xtal undertook the same strategy. I asked because I was curious. Regardless of the map shape - and the fact that educated guesses made it clear how far away the starbases are, they were probably no further away than in 90% of most games and yet I had not seen anyone build 7-8 freighters consecutively prior to building a warship in any game I had previously been in. I had commented in the forum previously that I thought you had 'big kahnuas' for doing so. I could have said the same for Gavan but well, I know how Gavan plays.

I think its fair to say that however the cards fall on this one, I quite understand why anyone would pick any of the three avaliable options.

ps - I have heard of rocket scientists, but never a 'rocket-surgeon'. :D

Hawkeye

Post#14 » Sun May 10, 2009 5:47 am

Cardno wrote: Yes I did see that the Xtal undertook the same strategy. I asked because I was curious. Regardless of the map shape - and the fact that educated guesses made it clear how far away the starbases are, they were probably no further away than in 90% of most games and yet I had not seen anyone build 7-8 freighters consecutively prior to building a warship in any game I had previously been in.
Yeah but these are some pretty tough freighters :)
Cardno wrote:
I had commented in the forum previously that I thought you had 'big kahnuas' for doing so. I could have said the same for Gavan but well, I know how Gavan plays.

I think its fair to say that however the cards fall on this one, I quite understand why anyone would pick any of the three avaliable options.
Can't have been a bad move, as by the time trouble arrived, I had 3 lokis, 2 Rex's and a couple of LCCs. More than enough firepower to see off a Coldpain. IMO if you're going to send in a quick-strike force big enough to do some real damage, you're seriously risking your economy being well behind everyone else's. I would say the player with the 'big kahnuas' is the one willing to risk that early development in order to make a first-strike.

What disappoints me the most is that so far I have had an almost perfect game, which now looks to be seriously threatened. Not hard to tell that things were going very well in my neck of the woods by the 3 bases by turn 14 :(
Cardno wrote: ps - I have heard of rocket scientists, but never a 'rocket-surgeon'. :D
Yeah, its someone qualified in both rocket science and brain surgery :D

Havok
Site Admin

Post#15 » Sun May 10, 2009 8:25 am

I think a re-master would be the best for everyone.
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Ask Cherek”