Player ranking system?

What do you like about what's going on at Circus-Maximus.com? Or, if you're the whiny type, tell us what stinks! We may not fix it, but we'll listen...

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Player ranking system?

Post#1 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:34 pm

Does anybody have any thoughts about a player ranking system? ][avok? Did you specifically not put in a ranking system, or did you just not have time for it?

I kind of like the idea of a ranking system.

Shardin5

Post#2 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:39 pm

Are you talking about, Private to General type of rating?
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Cherek

Post#3 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:52 pm

ShardinEnemy#1ofTheIRJTN wrote:Are you talking about, Private to General type of rating?

I'll take the General of the Echo Cluster. :lol:

Most the scoring systems I’ve seen are based on the # of turns you play and you get an award for every game you win. I would like to see someone to come up with a scoring scheme that is based on your position at the end of each game you played.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Snake Vargas
Site Admin

Post#4 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:10 pm

One of the other VGAP hosting sites ( i don't want to name it because the game hosting sucks) does have a pretty good scoring system. I've pasted below the creteria used to score games. One bad thing about this specific system is that it crapped out after about turn 70 and the game went 116 so we were unsure of the exact number of points from the game that would be applied to the final score. I do believe the system does have merit though both in game and over the long term history of the site if it worked properly.

Ranking Points

We use the ASCORE Ranking System for player ranking. You can find more information on the internals of this system here:

Auto Score explanation
This system produces a Military Score for each player in each game. This Military Score is converted to a percentage, rounded to the nearest integer, and then used to calculate each player's ranking points to determine the rank. The percentage, before being rounded, is shown on the game page.

There are three different points values used to rank each player:

Active Ranking Points
This value is the total points held in all active games, both beginner and profi, in which a player is currently active.

Total Ranking Points
This is the Active Ranking Points plus all the points a player has gained by completing games. This includes deleted games and non-standard or special games. Beginner games score 1x ranking points, profi games 2x ranking points after completion (right after deletion from completed games list).

Player Rank
The final Player Rank is calculated from the Total Ranking Points. From this value, the player is assigned a rank from the following list:

0-10 Points: Space Cadet
11-30 Points: Planetary Buccaneer
31-60 Points: Solar Knight
61-100 Points: Stellar Scourge
101-160 Points: Void Commander
161-320 Points: Sector Menace
321-640 Points: Star Admiral
641-1280 Points: Quadrant Tyrant
1281+ Points: Galactic Warlord
Best Wishes,
Snake Vargas
-------------------------------
www.vawebdev.com

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#5 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:10 pm

Snake Vargas wrote:One of the other VGAP hosting sites ( i don't want to name it because the game hosting sucks) does have a pretty good scoring system. I've pasted below the creteria used to score games. One bad thing about this specific system is that it crapped out after about turn 70 and the game went 116 so we were unsure of the exact number of points from the game that would be applied to the final score. I do believe the system does have merit though both in game and over the long term history of the site if it worked properly

There's a couple of sites using that type of ranking system. But I know the site you're hinting at :-# You have to make sure you don't get the ranking mixed with the scoring though. The site that you brought up predominantly uses ITA Score I think, which is a very flexible scoring solution, but not everyone's favorite. \:D/
Best Regards,

Joe

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#6 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:05 pm

Have you seen The Ladder? It's supposed to be a ranking system that goes across boards. It doesn't, however, seem to be used a great deal. I looked at the -rather long- list of sites that supposedly use it: Most of them either seem to be defunct or, in the case of Battlestar Command, have the wrong URL.

The odd thing is, it seems to be an effective scoring system. It is based on your position at the end of the game and has a separate reliability scoring system.

I don't have an opinion either for or against it, since I've never seen it in actual practice. Theoretically it sounds great. 'course a lot of people thought comunism looked great in theory, too.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Battlestar Host

Post#7 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:40 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:Have you seen The Ladder? It's supposed to be a ranking system that goes across boards. It doesn't, however, seem to be used a great deal. I looked at the -rather long- list of sites that supposedly use it: Most of them either seem to be defunct or, in the case of Battlestar Command, have the wrong URL.

The odd thing is, it seems to be an effective scoring system. It is based on your position at the end of the game and has a separate reliability scoring system.

I don't have an opinion either for or against it, since I've never seen it in actual practice. Theoretically it sounds great. 'course a lot of people thought comunism looked great in theory, too.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Yep... used to use it in a few games. However... there is one large drawback to it. If you have a hosting site which hosts a large number of games, and you run even one ladder game, the host is so busy with other things you don't have time to submit data to the ladder... you must submit data of each turn EVERY turn... and this really is difficult to do when you are trying to keep track of 35+ games... just no time.. which is why the URL to my site is wrong.. its been over a year since I had a ladder game run.

Ed
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne, THE SHOOTIST.

Battlestar Host

Post#8 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:43 pm

Snake Vargas wrote:One of the other VGAP hosting sites ( i don't want to name it because the game hosting sucks) does have a pretty good scoring system. I've pasted below the creteria used to score games. One bad thing about this specific system is that it crapped out after about turn 70 and the game went 116 so we were unsure of the exact number of points from the game that would be applied to the final score. I do believe the system does have merit though both in game and over the long term history of the site if it worked properly.

Ranking Points

We use the ASCORE Ranking System for player ranking. You can find more information on the internals of this system here:

Auto Score explanation
This system produces a Military Score for each player in each game. This Military Score is converted to a percentage, rounded to the nearest integer, and then used to calculate each player's ranking points to determine the rank. The percentage, before being rounded, is shown on the game page.

Active Ranking Points
This value is the total points held in all active games, both beginner and profi, in which a player is currently active.

Total Ranking Points
This is the Active Ranking Points plus all the points a player has gained by completing games. This includes deleted games and non-standard or special games. Beginner games score 1x ranking points, profi games 2x ranking points after completion (right after deletion from completed games list).

Player Rank
The final Player Rank is calculated from the Total Ranking Points. From this value, the player is assigned a rank from the following list:

Funny.. the above rank structure looks amazingly familiar :) Anyways.. my system uses the above system, just with the ITASCORE setup ... converted to an ASCORE usage in AutoTroll. Along with rankings recognizing games won. I also instituted a bonus system giving winners in games bonus ranking points for their efforts... thus a person who plays alot may have the Galactic Warlord rank.. however if he isn't listed in the "Command Officers Quarters" then he hasn't won a game...

Ed
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne, THE SHOOTIST.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#9 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:43 am

Battlestar Host wrote:Yep... used to use it in a few games. However... there is one large drawback to it. If you have a hosting site which hosts a large number of games, and you run even one ladder game, the host is so busy with other things you don't have time to submit data to the ladder... you must submit data of each turn EVERY turn... and this really is difficult to do when you are trying to keep track of 35+ games... just no time.. which is why the URL to my site is wrong.. its been over a year since I had a ladder game run.

Ed

I thought it might be something like that. They don't offer any kind of automation for submitting the data they are asking for? If I was going to ask you for info on every player in every game for every turn, I think I'd make --or find somebody to make-- a prog to automate the info collection.

Snake Vargas
Site Admin

Post#10 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:56 am

Battlestar Host wrote:
Snake Vargas wrote:One of the other VGAP hosting sites ( i don't want to name it because the game hosting sucks) does have a pretty good scoring system. I've pasted below the creteria used to score games. One bad thing about this specific system is that it crapped out after about turn 70 and the game went 116 so we were unsure of the exact number of points from the game that would be applied to the final score. I do believe the system does have merit though both in game and over the long term history of the site if it worked properly.

Ranking Points

Auto Score explanation

Active Ranking Points

Total Ranking Points

Player Rank

Funny.. the above rank structure looks amazingly familiar :) Anyways.. my system uses the above system, just with the ITASCORE setup ... converted to an ASCORE usage in AutoTroll. Along with rankings recognizing games won. I also instituted a bonus system giving winners in games bonus ranking points for their efforts... thus a person who plays alot may have the Galactic Warlord rank.. however if he isn't listed in the "Command Officers Quarters" then he hasn't won a game...

Ed

Ed... Obviously that info was not from your site, and since you have been around longer than the other host my guess is that it was copied from you. You know how the internet works... nothing is sacred. :D
Best Wishes,
Snake Vargas
www.vawebdev.com

Shardin5

Post#11 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:43 am

Snake Vargas,
Boy isn't that the truth, internet plagiarism is just horrible.
President Ronald Reagan

Cherek

Post#12 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:57 am

ShardinEnemy#1ofTheIRJTN wrote:Snake Vargas,

Don't worry Shardin, no one wants copy you. \:D/
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#13 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:06 am

It would take more to copy me nowadays, not too much, but more than in the good ol Marine Corp days.
President Ronald Reagan

Snake Vargas
Site Admin

Post#14 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:35 am

ShardinEnemy#1ofTheIRJTN wrote:Snake Vargas,

Not that I've ever sunk to such a level in my web development... wink wink nudge nudge :wink:
Best Wishes,
Snake Vargas
www.vawebdev.com

Lord Admiral Static IRJTN

Post#15 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:05 pm

Battlestar Host wrote: thus a person who plays alot may have the Galactic Warlord rank.. however if he isn't listed in the "Command Officers Quarters" then he hasn't won a game...

Ed

Hmmmm,,

Does this RING any BELLS Dnorval :P
Lord Admiral Static :static:
Emperor of the Echo Cluster
El Presidente'
Imperial Royal Japanese Texas Navy

Return to “Comments About Circus-Maximus.com”