Wing Commander II (non default configs)

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

User avatar
Rimstalker
Posts: 955
Contact:

Post#106 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:28 am

Enemy#1 wrote:SSD has problems with FHOST, as it can be targeted before arrival with attacks, a damaged SSD can't do Imperial Clan drops. Even if you take out the FPx command, FAx and TAx commands are in place and you can focus it on the SSD, only way to protect the SSD from FA or TA attacks is with a Gorbie,(Ray should be less than 5lyrs) so you send in a Gorbie with SSD, planet is set to NUK or ATT, all the other ships run, planet fights the Gorbie, and the SSD never gets to drop its clans, and EE doesn't get to capture a forward SB intact. Now if somebody like the Pirates(or other Cloaker) gets a SSD, and try the fueless ship trick, no go as FHOST commands allow you to attack FUELESS ships, so once again the SSD gets damaged and can not do the Imperial Assault. So augmenting the SSD with Gorbie coverage doesn't do you much good, as the Planet will just fight the Gorbie, as it will be set to NUK, NUK allows you to attack ships without FUEL, the fear of a SSD is really limited as all you have to do is cause 1 damage to it, and its a useless for the Imperial Assualt, and with TA and FA commands, putting a hurt on a SSD from a distance is easy to do. NUK FC is the perfect defence against the Gorbie with SSD, with or without Fuel the Gorbie is going to fight, so a person can make sure that the SSD never captures Foward SB's.
finally someone is getting my point. Thank you very much.

But I agree that increasing the range of DS is not a bad thought.

Btw, some days ago someone mentioned playing with nemesis and jupiter during the old bbs days. As of now (and about for the last five years) Gryphon + Nemesis + something = Jupiter.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#107 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:10 pm

Ranges revisited.

Reduce CMs to 120 as opposed to 150.

Thoughts.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#108 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:27 pm

Bane,
I did read it correctly, the Minefield Centered on the Target planet. When war starts and planets have to fight, or if there is SB+ involved, the FC's of those planets will NOT control the MineField or WebField involved. So if you have the Birds Superspying and can tell you the FC is NUK, you set your ships to NUK, your are going to hit mines, or better yet WEBS, as the center Planet of the MF/Web, will not be setting the FC of the MF/Web.
Now if you sneak attack, you will get through one time if I am lazy, but that will be it. I know I am not the only one that does this, to help protect the forward areas.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#109 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:59 pm

Pros & Cons regarding CMs at 120 LY?

Why I'm pondering this config change:
In WC1, after Zap started CMing my fleet of carriers, I changed my
strategy to lock down with crystal webs the Reb/Fed fleet and return
the favor.

At beyond 120, I was able to ramp up the firepower such that Fed/Reb
really had no alternative but to stand & die or leave the field.

Caveat: This is with a Crystal ally with capacity to lock down fleets
via webs. With any other race but crystal, the ftr race can just move
forward 30+ LY and engage most torpers.

Pros,
CV races that have lost patrol can counterstrike at same range.
Strengthens CV races.

Cons,
Hurts torpers.

IMO, with Patrol gone, the CV's have taken a huge hit.
Cloakers now move normally.

I'm torn on whether this would be a good or bad.
Tentatively, I think we switch to 120 and if we find it unacceptable,
then switch it back to 150 in game.

Thoughts?
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#110 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:44 pm

With Patrol now gone, 120lyrs for Fighter and 120lyrs for CM's, is fine with me. 120lyrs is a long distance for CM's and you have lots miss anyway. Fighters have to OVERWHELM, a ship, do do any damage, so that is a very exceptable change. Most of my CM shots were from 60-1lyr in distance, keeping the miss shots down.

How does everybody feel about allowing, fighters sweep webs, since we are allowing CM Web's?
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#111 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:00 pm

Ftrs sweep webs?
How did fighter minesweep work for you versus normal mines?
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#112 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:16 pm

B A N E wrote:Ftrs sweep webs?
How did fighter minesweep work for you versus normal mines?
Not real well, but it did help some, in countering Zap's CM mines he Kept launching at me. I also think Everybody should have to play a different Race as well.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#113 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:39 pm

Rimstalker wrote:
Enemy#1 wrote:SSD has problems with FHOST, as it can be targeted before arrival with attacks, a damaged SSD can't do Imperial Clan drops. Even if you take out the FPx command, FAx and TAx commands are in place and you can focus it on the SSD, only way to protect the SSD from FA or TA attacks is with a Gorbie,(Ray should be less than 5lyrs) so you send in a Gorbie with SSD, planet is set to NUK or ATT, all the other ships run, planet fights the Gorbie, and the SSD never gets to drop its clans, and EE doesn't get to capture a forward SB intact. Now if somebody like the Pirates(or other Cloaker) gets a SSD, and try the fueless ship trick, no go as FHOST commands allow you to attack FUELESS ships, so once again the SSD gets damaged and can not do the Imperial Assault. So augmenting the SSD with Gorbie coverage doesn't do you much good, as the Planet will just fight the Gorbie, as it will be set to NUK, NUK allows you to attack ships without FUEL, the fear of a SSD is really limited as all you have to do is cause 1 damage to it, and its a useless for the Imperial Assualt, and with TA and FA commands, putting a hurt on a SSD from a distance is easy to do. NUK FC is the perfect defence against the Gorbie with SSD, with or without Fuel the Gorbie is going to fight, so a person can make sure that the SSD never captures Foward SB's.
finally someone is getting my point. Thank you very much.

But I agree that increasing the range of DS is not a bad thought.

Btw, some days ago someone mentioned playing with nemesis and jupiter during the old bbs days. As of now (and about for the last five years) Gryphon + Nemesis + something = Jupiter.
I agree with the beam. I was under the belief that it was 4 LY before we started the last game. Something in my head was saying it worked just outside of the gravity well.

Regarding the Gryphon + Nemesis statement. Yes, Jupiter is a combination of the 2 former addons with some addtional added features that are unique to Jupiter.
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
Desert-Fox
Posts: 322

Post#114 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:33 am

Y O U C A N N O T C O N F I G U R E T H E R A N G E O F T H E D E A T H B E A M !!!!!!!

It is hardcoded into the program...you must be at the same location per MR. So with that said...it ain't 1ly...it ain't 4 lys and it certainly isn't 120 lys nor will it ever be unless MR decides to change the code in the program...as of now...see line one of this message quit all of this 'shoulda, woulda, coulda' bitchin'. It is what it is.

DF
Suck it up, Cupcake!

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#115 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:55 am

:lol:

Really DF,
Tell us how you really feel...don't hold back!

and FTR, the death ray beam coulda, shoulda, woulda been 1 LY, not 0.
Maybe 4 LY.

:wink:

120! :shock:
Hmm, I wonder how much fuel would be required to balance that setting?
1761 fuel I think.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Desert-Fox
Posts: 322

Post#116 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:20 am

B A N E wrote::lol:

Really DF,
Tell us how you really feel...don't hold back!

and FTR, the death ray beam coulda, shoulda, woulda been 1 LY, not 0.
Maybe 4 LY.

:wink:

120! :shock:
Hmm, I wonder how much fuel would be required to balance that setting?
1761 fuel I think.
I don't disagree that it should have been slightly more than same location BUT it is what it is and we cannot change it. So for those who think that's terrible....don't play the EE....somebody will! :twisted:

DF
Suck it up, Cupcake!

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#117 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:24 pm

Desert-Fox wrote:Y O U C A N N O T C O N F I G U R E T H E R A N G E O F T H E D E A T H B E A M !!!!!!!

It is hardcoded into the program...you must be at the same location per MR. So with that said...it ain't 1ly...it ain't 4 lys and it certainly isn't 120 lys nor will it ever be unless MR decides to change the code in the program...as of now...see line one of this message quit all of this 'shoulda, woulda, coulda' bitchin'. It is what it is.

DF
Yeah I Know. As I said, that was my belief "Before the last game"...

What we need is a Wave Motion Gun!!!
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#118 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:56 pm

Has anybody tried firing the crazy thing yet?
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Return to “Messages From Old Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

cron