Wing Commander II (non default configs)

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Rimstalker

Post#61 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:03 pm

default setting is 25 fighters per bay. One fighter mission that kills 100 fighters leaves a gorbie with 150 fighters, a rush with 290...

And Empire does not have any cheip ship with a bay and a big cargo hold like the gemini for instance
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Desert-Fox

Post#62 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:10 pm

Rimstalker wrote:default setting is 25 fighters per bay. One fighter mission that kills 100 fighters leaves a gorbie with 150 fighters, a rush with 290...
:-({|=

The price of victory is never cheap...if it was EVERYBODY would be a petty dictator.

My advice is to be frugal with your fighters. Use them in defense not necessarlily as your primary weapon. Also team them up. Don't make one CV carry the load. Split it up over 3 or 4. :wink:

Remember you can still go one on one in a VCR.:-k

And remember a Gorbie with 150 fighters is still a deadly weapon as is a Rush with 290 or a Golem with 200. :twisted:

DF
Suck it up, Cupcake!

Desert-Fox

Post#63 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:25 pm

Rimstalker wrote:And Empire does not have any cheip ship with a bay and a big cargo hold like the gemini for instance
Never did. Of course no one else gets 5 free fighters at each starbase per turn either.

Cheap ship...try the H-Ross light carrier. You can build an H-Ross with HYP Drive 6 engines and lasers for 228 credits using 99 Tri/48 Dur/83 Moly. It comes with 2 launch bays (one more than the Q-tanker or the Gemini), 2 beam weapons(2 more than the Q-tanker) and holds 120 fighters (equal to the Q-tanker). That's a better fighter 'warehouse' than the Q-tanker of the Robots.

With that said, I really don't see the problem.

DF
Suck it up, Cupcake!

Rimstalker

Post#64 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:34 pm

you are not getting my point. Coming up with the five free fighters displays that pretty much. The empire just has no chance at all to transport enough fighters. And actually engaging your enemy with Gorbies is pretty much the worst you can do.

The empire is the only race that suffers from lack of cargospace for torps AND fighters. Normally with the fighters that is not such a big issue, but with fhost and the fighter missions it is a major one.

Desert-Fox

Post#65 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:55 pm

Rimstalker wrote:you are not getting my point. Coming up with the five free fighters displays that pretty much. The empire just has no chance at all to transport enough fighters. And actually engaging your enemy with Gorbies is pretty much the worst you can do.

The empire is the only race that suffers from lack of cargospace for torps AND fighters. Normally with the fighters that is not such a big issue, but with fhost and the fighter missions it is a major one.
Maybe I am missing something. I gave you an example of what you could do to aleviate the problem with the fighters:

Cheap ship...try the H-Ross light carrier. You can build an H-Ross with HYP Drive 6 engines and lasers for 228 credits using 99 Tri/48 Dur/83 Moly. It comes with 2 launch bays (one more than the Q-tanker or the Gemini), 2 beam weapons(2 more than the Q-tanker) and holds 120 fighters (equal to the Q-tanker). That's a better fighter 'warehouse' than the Q-tanker of the Robots.

So you can tackle the problem and have the same cargo space as the Bots. Unless the problem is not storage as much as the cost of building enough fighters to go on the offensive. However the bigger problem I see is your lack of a GOOD torp ship. You only have one and it only holds 80 torps and has a limited fuel tank. To me that is more crippling than the fighter issue. You can be creative with the fighter problem, but you have no options with the torp issue.

DF
Suck it up, Cupcake!

B A N E

Post#66 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:56 pm

FTx?
Fighter Transfer
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Rimstalker

Post#67 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:06 pm

DF, starbase plus was in use in the first WC game, so laying minefields was not that much of an issue.

Bane: From my sims, it is essential to always have the maximum possible amount of fighters when sending them out on a mission. Being outnumbered will result in serious losses.

And building four h-ross for what a rebel can do with one gemini (plus they are getting the fighters for free) is just a joke. Of course not mentioning the tranquility and the fact that a rush costs a fraction of a gorbie.

B A N E

Post#68 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:15 pm

IMO, the SSCV is the factory/resupply vessel of choice.
180 cargo = 2 per Gemini and SSCVs are significantly better.

So, that reduces the cost from 3 or 4 Hross to 2.

I won't disagree that the Rebel fleet is the strongest in fhost.
No question.
They've got the 390 Rush and they've got the 6 tube Guardian.
They can equal or outgun any other race.

Such is not the case when comparing the EE vs the other races.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

B A N E

Post#69 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:43 pm

Tranquility?
If you're referring to the fact that a Tranq can lay a max mine and
the SSF cannot, that's an age old EE complaint that has nothing to do
with Fhost.

In Fhost, the SSF is superior to the Tranq.
SSF can fire 3 cruise missiles versus the Tranq's 2.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#70 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:32 am

B A N E wrote:In Fhost, the SSF is superior to the Tranq.
I disagree that the SSF is superior to the Tranq., “better” would be the more appropriate word. The bottom line is, any race that goes against the Rebels, could be looking at a major fight and loses.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Desert-Fox

Post#71 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:05 am

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
I disagree that the SSF is superior to the Tranq., “better” would be the more appropriate word. The bottom line is, any race that goes against the Rebels, could be looking at a major fight and loses.
Since these are things that have always existed, (excluding Fhost) doesn't this come down to playing your race 'creatively'. This is what seperates the average player from the good player, the ability to be flexable no matter what race you play. Rimmy, I'm not implying anything against you, it's a broad statement about the game. Throw in FHost and you add yet another layer of complexity. It's rough but hell, that's why we play, for the fun and challenge of it all...at least I do.

DF
Suck it up, Cupcake!

B A N E

Post#72 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:43 am

:?
Better/Superior.

Within Fhost, the SSF is superior/better than the Tranq.
Within an Fhost/VGAP game, I would rather have the Tranq. due
to overall versatility.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#73 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:47 am

Desert-Fox wrote:... It's rough but hell, that's why we play, for the fun and challenge of it all...at least I do.

DF
Well said DF. That is why I've been playing all these years.

I hate to point out the obvious, but with FHost, you have to re-adjust on how you think combat is done. In WC I, the Lizards did very well against the Rebels.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#74 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:01 am

As soon as I figured out the Rebel would clean my clock using first three warplans,

I went with Plan D: WET Blanket.

Plan A:
Use gropo for initial assault and take away periphery.
Worked beautifully in her periphery... eventually stopped cold in her core.
Patrols wreaked havoc on tow-kill plans.

Plan B:
Build Stargate and move fleet in.
Bring in fleet of 10 Mados.
Ion storms delayed timetable and gave me time to sim.
Ran sims, got clock cleaned if I attacked via FAx.

Plan C: (Plan B*2)
Double carrier fleet to 20+ Mados.
Ran more sims, still got my clock cleaned.

Inspired by the Fed moving in to bombard my fleet of Carriers and
the fact that plans A,B & C died...

Plan D: (WET Blanket)
(W)ebs & (E)ndless (T)orps.
Lock the rebel fleet in Webs! Thank you Cherek!
Then fire Torps, torps...and more torps!
Steal Rushes, TBx the bases.

Plan D was concluded by bugs in Fhost due to fuel glitch and
-2/+2 billion fighters. :shock:
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Desert-Fox

Post#75 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:04 am

Desert-Fox wrote:... It's rough but hell, that's why we play, for the fun and challenge of it all...at least I do.

DF
Well said DF. That is why I've been playing all these years.

I hate to point out the obvious, but with FHost, you have to re-adjust on how you think combat is done. In WC I, the Lizards did very well against the Rebels.
I think I tried to convey that same idea when I wrote the article for CM on FHost (When Carriers Collide). You reminded me of it when you made your last point.

Imagine the ‘Battle of Midway' in space! That is the essence of FHOST. FHOST is not replacement to Tim's host, but an add-on to VGAP providing a whole new spin on game play. Believe me when I tell you that if you play a FHOST game with the mind set of a standard VGAP game you may well lose

And it is the truth. You have to be able to be creative. That's why I like it, it makes me think..planning ahead for events to happen and then getting twisted because your opponent has done the same thing...it's like playing chess...but a hell of a lot more fun.

DF
Suck it up, Cupcake!

Return to “Messages From Old Games”