Thought on this Scenario

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

FLETCH

Thought on this Scenario

Post by FLETCH » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:13 am

Hello all, just curious what everyone thinks of this game so far. There is no disputing the fact that this in an unreal concept and an amazing job has been done to make it fit VGAP. Well done WarpedBoard.

But this is essentially a BETA test as the game in its full glory has never been played before now.

So I ask, what are everyone's thoughts so far as players in this game? Do you like the way the races have been modified? Do you think the ship list is good? Do you think the teams are balanced? etc, etc.....

If you think all is just perfect then please say so, if you would change things a little then jump right in as well. I'm sure WB would be keen for feedback regarding his pet project so please speak up and let us all know your thoughts.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Cherek

Post by Cherek » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:17 am

Personally, I'd like for the Capella to have about 20 to 30 more cargo hold.

I keep switching back and forth about allowing all races to build fighters in space.

BTW Warpedboard, You might want to look at renaming the three highest engine types to something other than FTL XXX, since installing them on a ship doesn't mean the ship can do a FTL jump.

My 2¢ for now.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

warpedboard

Re: Thought on this Scenario

Post by warpedboard » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:28 am

FLETCH wrote:If you think all is just perfect then please say so, if you would change things a little then jump right in as well. I'm sure WB would be keen for feedback regarding his pet project so please speak up and let us all know your thoughts.
Yep, that's EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm looking for, so speak up!

warpedboard

Post by warpedboard » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:31 am

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Personally, I'd like for the Capella to have about 20 to 30 more cargo hold.

I keep switching back and forth about allowing all races to build fighters in space.

BTW Warpedboard, You might want to look at renaming the three highest engine types to something other than FTL XXX, since installing them on a ship doesn't mean the ship can do a FTL jump.

My 2¢ for now.
Thanks... I'll take a look @ the Capella for future revisions. As for the engines, I've been waffling -- while installing them doesn't specifically give the ship FTL, if it IS an FTL-capable ship, you HAVE to have one of those 3 in order to support FTL. I can see where confusion could result though, so I'll try to think of better names.

Just to throw it out there -- it's been mentioned in another forum, but I also think adding give planet ("gpX") to the scenario would be a good idea. That one's more of a "d'oh! Why didn't I think of that to begin with?" #-o

Cherek

Post by Cherek » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:26 am

Having the gpX would be nice.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

darkdimensions

Post by darkdimensions » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:26 pm

WB- Mad Props on the job you did with AoA, hopefully our Beta Run will be able to stomp out any remaining bugs, concerns..

Thoughts/Questions:

1. Why 6v5... why not just drop a Colonial Race to make it an even ratio?
(The Pirate seems to be a good race to drop out of this one.. just doesnt
seem to belong in this Scenerio)

2. Why does The Cyborg Race loose its strongest Race Ability, The Chunnel?
(Seems to me, thats how the Cylons operate; find a Colonial HW and
Chunnel a fleet into the area)
A) Do any other Races loose a special ability that Im not aware?

3. As far as Team Play goes... I had an idea to keep the mess of
unmanagable teams down; Divide the Colonials and/or Cylons into factions

2 cylon teams and 2 colonial team

OR

2 colonial teams and One Cylon Team.

A) Maybe this is just becuz of the problems in AoA regarding Team Play
* Dont get me wrong, I like the 2 big teams, just an alternative for you
to consider :)

thats all for now

Cherek

Post by Cherek » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:53 pm

darkdimensions wrote:3. As far as Team Play goes... I had an idea to keep the mess of unmanagable teams down; Divide the Colonials and/or Cylons into factions

OR

Are you talking about cutting the number players from 11 to four or six players, with the 2v2 or 3v3 teams? If you are, that sound like it would make for a better team game, but then again, I'm not really fond of big teams away.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

warpedboard

Post by warpedboard » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:16 pm

darkdimensions wrote:1. Why 6v5... why not just drop a Colonial Race to make it an even ratio?

1) Really, it was just a matter of my not feeling like dropping any races & leaving room for max # of players. I went with the idea of more Colonials, and had them individually generally weaker than the Cylon races, but more unique abilities/ships so that with teamwork they could stand toe-to-toe. I thought that went kind of along w/ the overall feel of BSG...

2) Chunnel didn't fit in w/ the BSG theme -- both sides are dealing with the same type of engines, but the Cylons have more of their smaller ships that can FTL.
As for taking away racial abilities, technically I didn't do that :) What I DID do is change up some of the special abilities of ships, and who had them; all the race-dependent stuff stayed put. Don't think of races as "the Borg" or "the Feds" in this game -- that can get you in trouble, considering the massive changes to ships & ship abilities made in the game. That's both part of the challenge, and, I hope, the fun of this game -- it requires a fresh approach.

3) I'll have to mull over this one... the idea, as mentioned, was to have several races that were much stronger when their abilities/ships/etc were combined, and any breakdown of the teams would require significant changes to that, I think. Since AoA was designed from the start to be a very team-heavy game, I'm not sure that's worth it -- of course, situations like what's happening in the current game will therefore tend to break it down :P

scooby dood

Post by scooby dood » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:40 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Having the gpX would be nice.
Yes, very
Ken

Active games:
Arrow of Apollo race 8
Cluster Discovery 80 race 7 @ http://rcworld.de/
Maelstrom race 3

darkdimensions

Post by darkdimensions » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:36 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
darkdimensions wrote:3. As far as Team Play goes... I had an idea to keep the mess of unmanagable teams down; Divide the Colonials and/or Cylons into factions

OR

Are you talking about cutting the number players from 11 to four or six players, with the 2v2 or 3v3 teams? If you are, that sound like it would make for a better team game, but then again, I'm not really fond of big teams away.
Well Cherek, you could have 2 or 3 ppl each on a team, and still fill up 10 slots (assuming u have banned the pirates).

darkdimensions

Post by darkdimensions » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:47 pm

warpedboard wrote:
darkdimensions wrote:1. Why 6v5... why not just drop a Colonial Race to make it an even ratio?

1) Really, it was just a matter of my not feeling like dropping any races & leaving room for max # of players. I went with the idea of more Colonials, and had them individually generally weaker than the Cylon races, but more unique abilities/ships so that with teamwork they could stand toe-to-toe. I thought that went kind of along w/ the overall feel of BSG...

2) Chunnel didn't fit in w/ the BSG theme -- both sides are dealing with the same type of engines, but the Cylons have more of their smaller ships that can FTL.
As for taking away racial abilities, technically I didn't do that :) What I DID do is change up some of the special abilities of ships, and who had them; all the race-dependent stuff stayed put. Don't think of races as "the Borg" or "the Feds" in this game -- that can get you in trouble, considering the massive changes to ships & ship abilities made in the game. That's both part of the challenge, and, I hope, the fun of this game -- it requires a fresh approach.

3) I'll have to mull over this one... the idea, as mentioned, was to have several races that were much stronger when their abilities/ships/etc were combined, and any breakdown of the teams would require significant changes to that, I think. Since AoA was designed from the start to be a very team-heavy game, I'm not sure that's worth it -- of course, situations like what's happening in the current game will therefore tend to break it down :P
:) It is a very well orchestrated game, I will give you that! You did a great job. As far as a scenerio goes... ITS RIGHT OFF THE CHARTS!!! A+ Gold Medal

I see what your saying about the Teams as a whole being equal and each race contributing their own abilities to the Team. I love that idea, and think it fits in very well to the 2 team setup of AoA.

Lol, the borg race, cant complain too much about not having an chunnel, seeing as half of their shiplist can FTL. (but i still think it should be an option, especially if the Colonials get to use the Pirates and their Rob ability)

Ill have to talk to the producers of BsG and see if they're willing to write an episode about the Cylons finding a Chunnel ship hidden in some far off galaxy, shown the path through the heavens by their God. hehe

Thanks for addressing my Qs and Comments, it really is a great Team Game Scenerio... just wish our teams worked better together atm :-({|=

Hanno

Post by Hanno » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:46 am

I really like this scenario. I've never played a Team game, one that was written as such so it is a new experience for me and I'm having fun with it. So far as Battle Star Command ships, I do like certain ones but also miss a few of the normal Colonial ships from the traditional game, especially the Cobol, Gemini and Patriot. The Pulsar Class Gunstar is better suited for storage of fighters rather than building them. However workarounds have been implemented. ;)

So far as balancing the teams the Cylons don't have a chance. ;)

Hanno

Return to “Messages From Old Games”