Moderators: BitMask, Havok

the.Ant

Explosions in the sky

Post#1 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:35 pm

It is a fast paced game indeed!

VilleK

Re: Explosions in the sky

Post#2 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:37 am

the.Ant wrote:It is a fast paced game indeed!
Tight cluster and 300 planets :)
Anyways, could be perhaps 250 planets.

At least playing it safe and defending is a bit harder now as distance between most planets is less than 81 ly's which makes spotting incoming fleets of Golems hard ;)

the.Ant

Post#3 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:18 am

I'm more worried about races like the cyborg :borgs: who brutally slaughter all those innocent natives!

Something needs to be done about them! :stop:

Wait a minute... somebody already did :-'

Krait

Re: Explosions in the sky

Post#4 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:32 pm

the.Ant wrote:It is a fast paced game indeed!
uh huh. Should have made this a 12 hour turn game. Maybe some of these folks would get off the pot to get it in.
been there, done that...

the.Ant

Post#5 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:56 am

This is indeed quite annoying. Anyone knows where the privateer lives? ;)

VilleK

Post#6 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:05 am

the.Ant wrote:This is indeed quite annoying. Anyone knows where the privateer lives? ;)
Yeah, thought that ppl who sign in would send their TRN at least once / day but looks like we're stuck again.

The turns below 20-30 shouldn't take more than few mins to make....

[edit]
We just got our turns, hooray!
[/edit]
Last edited by VilleK on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

the.Ant

Post#7 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:09 am

There he is... :cylonclap:

let's hope that the next turn will be quicker.

PsychoHawk

Post#8 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:04 pm

While not in your game, I feel your pain about slow game starts. I'm always of the idea that turns 1-10 take between 2-5 minutes depending on the location of new planets. Turns 11-20 should take about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of empire and finding another race. After turn 20, most games seem to start eating more and more time depending on conflicts, empire size, and expansion.

Playing the Borg can sometimes mean 30 minute or more turns starting around turn 15-20.

Either way, gotta love this game.

Krait

Post#9 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:50 pm

I think the problem is simply committment by players. They have no problem joining a game, many feeling they can just walk away if it goes poorly for them. Unfortunately, all you need is one to do that to bring a game to a screeching halt for everyone else.

Of course there are always going to be situations when you play a game that runs over a course of time where someone will need a delay. And it is also very obvious where someone has gotten their ass kicked and has one or two planets left and just doesn't have any interest in participating. Thats what Cplayer is for.

Anyway, this problem will never change.

I think this game should have been 7 days a week. 24 hours turn is reasonable, assuming everyone is wanting to play.
been there, done that...

the.Ant

Post#10 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:17 pm

Well, I know that Hennef was out of town the whole day, and since it was a late hostrun, was wasn't able to access it. But I think he should return soon. Don't know about Pug though, maybe he will wake up once he gets the "your the last one" reminder mail ;)

But yes, worse than waiting a day for a turn would be if people might stop playing once the game goes downhill for them. I really hope that doesn't happen!

PsychoHawk

Post#11 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:25 pm

Well, 4 dragged out turns and a CPlayer are far better to deal with than a "I'm losing/going to lose the game, let's end the game now" vote.

Those are always annoying as hell.

the.Ant

Post#12 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:36 pm

True, although it depends on the state of the game. If the dominance of one player is without doubt, and not much happening any more, and the turns still take you 0.5-1hour, there is not much point in delaying the inevitable... but that's more likely to happen around turn 80-100 or so.

however, if you die within the first 10-15 turns, well - that's just bad luck.

Krait

Post#13 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

the.Ant wrote: however, if you die within the first 10-15 turns, well - that's just bad luck.
Heh, or damn poor anticipation and planning.

Not speaking about Cyborg....they particularily weak at start, even more so on a close map like this.
been there, done that...

the.Ant

Post#14 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:02 pm

I only wish they would have built at least two fireclouds already, I'd rather build proper ships than spend my time cloning... 8)

Hennef's turn is in, only one missing.

VilleK

Post#15 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:58 am

Well, like said, tight clusters are a bit harder than normal - always have a chance that you've a Romulan neighbor with Darkwing headed to your home in less than 5 turns ;)

Personally I like max 300 planet games better. The cluster might be a bit more sparse meaning the distance between planets could be a bit longer. But, 300 planets on 11 players makes sure you dont end up with 80 planet-empire and spending hours to manage it.

Or, if you end up with 80 planet empire you've propably won :D

Return to “Messages From Old Games”