Old dog, new trick

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Samuelt86

Old dog, new trick

Post by Samuelt86 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:58 pm

I learned something new this last turn that could come in very useful in future games.

If you set an enemy(any enemy), your FC does not get the five points added in determining the battle order. I always thought that you had to set the enemy that you were fighting. That is not the case. It had been set with the Birds as enemy from an earlier war. I didn't bother to change it because the Birds were long since dead. So when I fought a Gorbie this last turn, the Mando fought first. And I had been very careful planning the battle order.

You can set a different race as enemy to adjust battle order and not necessarily fight if they don't set you as enemy. The idea being if we fight, I win but suffer losses. If we don't fight, I will crash him into a base letting the base kill him and suffer no loss.

It cost me a Mandonzilla but well worth the knowledge.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that this only applies to non-numeric FCs.

Samuelt86

Post by Samuelt86 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:57 pm

that's correct. I was attempting to get the left-side of the combat if we fought. If we did not fight, then I would tow you into a base. Normally, you get 1000 FC for a non-numeric id plus 5 if you don't have enemy set and plus 10 if you don't have kill mission. I have always assumed the enemy set had to be the enemy you were fighting. That is not the case - that Mando that you killed had the Birds set as enemy. That gave its FC an additional plus 5 when fighting your Golem. It was just a little back-up in case your Golem killed mine or if a second Golem appeared and boom, my Mando fought first.

This is good information to have for the convoluted battles - when not necessarily wanting to fight but also wanting to arrange battle order and grab left-side. It will rarely be important, but can add a nice edge when it is.

I have played for years and don't think I have ever set to an enemy that I wasn't expecting to fight (cloaking races excepted)

casebolt

Post by casebolt » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:41 am

Hers is another old Dog new trick, I lost my HW on turn 22, Grats Empire.

Return to “Messages From Old Games”