Now that is odd....

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

JonnyDoH

Post#61 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:41 pm

Rimstalker wrote: Apart from Alb, is there anyone who does not have MBRs?
Can't say for the other ships, but for the MBR's...

Everyone who was waging war early on with the privateers got one of his ships. He didn't supply them very well and missed a bunch of turns on top of that-- after a certain point they were captured really, really easily.
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

Donovan

Post#62 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:23 am

Rimstalker wrote:You guys are fantastic. Mix and match to the Max!

So what do we see this turn?

Out of the next Home cluster Donovan is going to invade (I presume it used to be the Gorn's) comes a LCC (presumably taken over by the Empire from the Lizard CPlayer) in Xtal hands.

The Rebels (forever in bed with the Xtals [literally - haha!]) is trying to run in the center with a SSD.

The Birdman (Borg ally) is flying around with an MBR. Well maybe he got lucky and captured it...

Apart from Alb, is there anyone who does not have MBRs?
Yeah I was kind of surprised at that Crystal LCC. At first I thought the Empire had joined the ducklings. I was actually troubled, because Disney has only come up with names for three ducklings. But then again there simply is nobody for the Empire to ally or cooperate with that isn't already allied to someone else.

Anyway, somehow I'm not even worried about this. The Crystals have tried to protect the Rebel homecluster with webs, to no avail. And that was before every other Virgo had heavy phasers.

So the Empire might as well start running north already and invade the Birdmen, or he'll end up with no homecluster at all. And a free piece of advice to BC_Guy: the Crystal player might need some coaching how and where to lay webs.

BC_Guy

Post#63 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:16 pm

Yeah I was kind of surprised at that Crystal LCC. At first I thought the Empire had joined the ducklings. I was actually troubled, because Disney has only come up with names for three ducklings. But then again there simply is nobody for the Empire to ally or cooperate with that isn't already allied to someone else.
Still banging that drum !?! seriously ?? Even by your own definition of the game rules, I have always played within the rules..
...And a free piece of advice to BC_Guy...
Finally .. an accurate valuation of Donald and his pet's (Goofy ??) advice :D [/quote]

Donovan

Post#64 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:28 pm

BC_Guy wrote:Still banging that drum !?! seriously ?? Even by your own definition of the game rules, I have always played within the rules..
That was what I meant. You have one ally, the Crystals.

The Crystals themselves have at least two other allies, but that's their problem.

He's a sweet guy though. The Crystals are now towing Fed ships out of harm's way, while Tyrion failed to send in a turn. I hope our dear mr. Crystal isn't too upset that he doesn't get to play with any of the Bird ships that were caught in his web. But that's the price of playing poorly.

Donovan

Post#65 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:35 am

BC_Guy wrote: Finally .. an accurate valuation of Donald and his pet's (Goofy ??) advice :D
A 6000 unit webmine? Really? That's two Virgos, just one turn of sweeping. With bubble movement, the rest of the fleet won't even have to pause a turn. If you want to be safe you're gonna have to do a whole lot better than that....

BC_Guy

Post#66 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:06 pm

Donald-ovan wrote: ...And a free piece of advice to BC_Guy...
BC_Guy wrote: Finally .. an accurate valuation of Donald and his pet's (Goofy ??) advice

I was referring to your self-valuation of your own advice (free) :lol:
But on reflection, I now believe that rimstalker is more like Daisy Duck, the sometime paramour of Donald-ovan.

JonnyDoH

Post#67 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Donovan wrote:...With bubble movement...
Please come visit me with your bubble movement.
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

Donovan

Post#68 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:58 am

BC_Guy wrote:I was referring to your self-valuation of your own advice (free) :lol:
But on reflection, I now believe that rimstalker is more like Daisy Duck, the sometime paramour of Donald-ovan.
I'm glad to see you still have a sense of humor (a bad one though), even though you're about to be wiped off the map. Got any more Gorbies for me to kill? They make the most wonderful explosions in the the VCR.

Donovan

Post#69 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:00 am

JonnyDoH wrote:
What, are you not happy with the doomsday missiles I'm sending your way? Some people just can't appreciate a friendly gesture. Why insist on a personal visit? If you want to get rid of your ships, just let them sit where the missiles hit or jump some more probes into a viral field.

JonnyDoH

Post#70 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:36 am

Donovan wrote:
JonnyDoH wrote:
What, are you not happy with the doomsday missiles I'm sending your way? Some people just can't appreciate a friendly gesture. Why insist on a personal visit? If you want to get rid of your ships, just let them sit where the missiles hit or jump some more probes into a viral field.
Actually, I was hoping to catch a ship or two with the FC "ISB" on any of my starbases. Not that it matters much at this point, but hey, figured you might like to throw me a bone.

Donovan

Post#71 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:14 am

JonnyDoH wrote: Actually, I was hoping to catch a ship or two with the FC "ISB" on any of my starbases. Not that it matters much at this point, but hey, figured you might like to throw me a bone.
Um they don't surrender to starbases. Sorry.

JonnyDoH

Post#72 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:22 am

Donovan wrote:
JonnyDoH wrote: Actually, I was hoping to catch a ship or two with the FC "ISB" on any of my starbases. Not that it matters much at this point, but hey, figured you might like to throw me a bone.
Um they don't surrender to starbases. Sorry.
Mind throwing a ship to one of my starbases to test it out? Yes, I'm not setting up a test game to actually, well, test. I was hoping that a "real" game would prove more informative.

(You guys have won already. Nothing much to lose at this point.) =P

EDIT: I know (now) in the Jupiter Docs it says that "they cannot be forced to surrender"-- I was curious if that too was a bit of untested information.

EDIT EDIT: Why the hell would Oleg give the Colonials ISB then? It seems like a crazy cool ability for a race that can already sweep mines like no tomorrow and can generate fuel on the fly.

I'm beginning to question why certain races have "cooler" abilities than others (NOTE TO RIMSTALKER, whom I'm certain is envisioning a particularly condescending remark at this moment: I don't believe I'm complaining about a particular ability in this section. I'm merely asking, from a game design stand point, why the Colonials need this particular ability in order to compete with the other races. It seems somewhat redundant and unnecessary. I have the same opinion about the Quietus Planet Strip Ability, the ability for Feds to upgrade ship components on the fly, and the Lizard Cryo Holds to name a few).

I know that according to the docs that this addon was thoroughly tested for bugs-- it doesn't seem like some abilities are tested for game balance. Are there any design docs anywhere that explain why the races were given these abilities?

Donovan

Post#73 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:38 am

JonnyDoH wrote: Mind throwing a ship to one of my starbases to test it out? Yes, I'm not setting up a test game to actually, well, test. I was hoping that a "real" game would prove more informative.
I've already testgamed this long ago, and I'm sure the people whose starbases I have visited have often tried to force surrender in this very game. But believe me, ships won't surrender. If you insist, just point me to the nearest Borg base and I'll move a cube there in a bubble.

I don't know why certain races have certain abilities in Jupiter and why some are more useful or powerful than others. I do agree with you that some abilities, especially with default Jupiter config settings, are unbalanced. But as I've said before, most of the abilities are hard to counter, even the less impressive ones. It's just a matter of using them properly, at the right moment and place. And then ofcourse there are some that are near impossible to counter. Like the Colonial ones 8)

Rimstalker

Post#74 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:04 am

my opinion on the matter of how strong certain abilities are:

they are worth more in different stages of the game.

Lizard cryoholds enable prolonged campaigns very early on, Fascist missiles are very hard to sweep early on, genesis lets you kickstart an economy.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

JonnyDoH

Post#75 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:42 pm

That's interesting. I didn't think about it in terms of value over different stages of the game. Does that put you in a certain frame of mind to pursue specific races at the time you did in this game? Or was it purely based on "who's the most annoying neighbor"?

I know for myself and my Bird man ally, we just chose a specific direction and went to that cluster (counterclockwise, Crystals-- now you know, Lord Loki). Probably not the best decision, in retrospect. In other news, that might also explain why it took so long for me to build my first antimatter missile launcher-- I didn't want to build it in my home territory, so it went up in the Crystal Cluster first. Wasted time.

Return to “Messages From Old Games”