REQUEST: Host pause or autotroll troubleshoot

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

JonnyDoH

REQUEST: Host pause or autotroll troubleshoot

Post#1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Hey there,

Don't mean to sound negative or anything but is there any way we can have a pause for the Pit 3 ::or:: fix the autotroll? I sent my turn in three times but received no confirmation of the troll receiving, and there are only two hours to go for the game to process the next turn.

With all the Crystal webs I'm flying through, I would really appreciate it if we can pause the game or extend the next deadline. Thanks in advance!
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

Havok
Site Admin

Re: REQUEST: Host pause or autotroll troubleshoot

Post#2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:15 pm

The host is offline while I"m working on the server. No messages of extreme stress that the troll isn't responding are required. Even if there was a problem with the troll your turns are collected in the email account until the troll runs again. I'm sick of these messages day in and day out at the top of of the forum, on facebook, in my mailbox. You guys have been playing here a long time for the most part and you know I have a handle on things. Relax.
Regards,
][avok

JonnyDoH

Post#3 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:41 pm

My apologies, Havok. I should have stronger faith in your ways of the Force. It's just all these damned web mines...

...But seriously, I apologize. =P
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

Rimstalker

Post#4 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:31 am

Webmines? Can i - very innocently of course - ask why the dreaded viral fields are not ruining your and everyone else's day in the pit 3?

edit: Out of curiosity: Did Cardo trigger the host pause, or this thread?
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

JonnyDoH

Post#5 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Rimstalker: I knew you couldn't resist rubbing salt in a wound, with a hint of lemon and a little paprika.

Let's keep it classy and stay off that recipe okay? I'd appreciate it.

Edit: For the record, I consider webmines more fair than viral fields. Webmines you can sweep. Granted, the combination with the hyperjumping sage is off putting, but at least you know it's coming and you can make obvious countermeasures (ships with big beams, for example). Crystal ships also need some hefty backup for sieges, once you want to start taking down Starbase worlds. The biggest difference? You can still give orders to your ships in web mines while also telling them to actually move (at warp 1, but still-- better than nothing). Viral fields allow none of that.

Rimstalker

Post#6 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:42 pm

i really would like to have a sensible discussion about this

I still maintain that - if you have a plan - viral fields are not overpowered. I am currently fighting Borg and Robot, so there are potentially infinitely mobile Viral fields and it's a non-issue.

imho, you are looking at the problem from a purely reactive point. Even then, there are ways to make a robot invasion at lot more difficult, but I prepared very early: Built extra bases for extra scouting and even sent a nice Rush battlegroup into the deep between the outer clusters to probe for a reaction, while squeezing every last MC out of my planets with self-RGA and the selling of DefensePosts, and switching one base to the production of Heavy Phaser Iron Ladies.

JonnyDoH

Post#7 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Sensible discussion? Sure, I'm all for that. No teasing, harmless or otherwise-- It's difficult for me to differentiate between something innocent and something that might be construed as malicious. My apologies for that.

I am curious, however-- say your fleet runs afoul of a Robot Viral Field. How do the Rebels get out? A private message will do. I understand if you don't want to discuss outright strategy on the public forums.

As for this game... well, I didn't prepare nearly as well as you did. I was far too trusting with potential allies and far too merciful as the privateers. Oh well-- I've made my bed and I'll have to sleep in it. I will attempt to stick it out for as long as I think I have a chance to foil the Crystal/Rebel Alliance.

Rimstalker

Post#8 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:38 pm

if any race's whole fleet gets snagged inside a viral field, something went wrong long before.

If I have analyzed the situation to a point where I am confident in all possible outcomes, I might allow part of my fleet to be caught, however, I would be under mine cover, and would have tiered battlegroups just outside of 50 lys, but inside 81, and a 2nd one behind that for good measure. If the bot wants to move the viral field, the snagged ships get to move that turn, all my other battlegroups get to move and to protect the precious cybernaut the bots have to accept the right side disadvantage

the whole thing gets even more complex when planet cover is available and if allies are involved

in some cases I'd even go so far as to bait out the viral field if it allows me to gain a foothold somewhere else. To give an example: The bot needs bases to surrender the ships that are set to VRF. The bot needs loads of fuel to tow my heavy carriers. The bot needs clans to build bases. If the only planet in range is amorph, I personally reduced them to - 80 HP, he only has some golems and cats paws, all are kind of low on fuel, and I know that not a drop of fuel is to be found within 200 lys, he can snag me all he wants, the worst I can do is to trade carriers when he gets bored of keeping me in the field

I guess it boils down to: Scouting, scouting, scouting, Information, information, information. Don't pick a fight you can't win

edit: this is not theorycrafting, I have engaged Robot fleets that had cybernauts. Most of them think it's the invincible thing you make it as well, then they run into a scenario where the best outcome for them is a big carrier fight if they advance and lo and behold, they choose to not push the issue

Return to “Messages From Old Games”