Pause request

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

JonnyDoH

Pause request

Post#1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:13 am

I'm loathe to do this, especially since we just had a pause-- but the laptop I use to play VGA Planets isn't working.

I can hear it spinning up and booting; the start up sound goes, but the screen looks like it burnt itself out. I tried connecting it to an external monitor but without an installation of software first, that refuses to work too.

I would prefer not to miss turns in this game, especially with the tense situation on the Fed/Lizard border. Sorry guys-- but I'd appreciate it if we can pause for another few days or so.

I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow; hopefully they can solve the issue within the week. =P
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

FireAge

Re: Pause request

Post#2 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:39 am

No problem for me to pauze the game.
Don't forget to contact bitmask/havoc, game runs in 7 hours which may be in their sleeping hours.

Now to your problem at hand:
The external screen should work fine without any driver request, did you remember to use the keyboard combo for switching to the different screen?

It may be more likely that your on board videocard or CPU/chipset has bitten the dust.

In my experience with laptops, its usually the mainboard which fails (very rarely the memory/psu) and usually due to bad solder ball quality under the processor/chipset/vga. If the dealer cannot help you out, and you have no warranty left on the machine, consider the following.

Take the laptop apart (look for the manual for that online).
Take the main printed circuit board, and remove all coolers/stickers/plastic screwd on pieces, and of course the memory etc.
Now pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees C and when it's ready put the mainboard into the oven for 10 minutes.
Turn off the oven and open the door slightly, to slowly allow the temperature to lower.
If done correctly, the solder balls will reflow.
If you put everything back together in the right way, it should work again.

Or you could do it without an oven using the russian method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w45tZPVcj4c

Which is the same principle, but only heats the mainboard locally.

Return to “Messages From Old Games”