Flak feedback

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

BitMask
Site Admin

Flak feedback

Post#1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:26 am

I hope the players of T-Flak can give us some feedback on the FLAK multiship combat.

It was a big disappointment that the AutoTroll did not want to send the flak files each turn, so many turns you were without VCR for the combat :evil:
I would like to get that sorted out before creating a new FLAK game.

What were your experiences?

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Flak feedback

Post#2 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:32 am

I found that weird as well that AT wouldn't accept attaching that particular file in the attach list. I hope we can resolve that.
Regards,
][avok

Hawkeye

Post#3 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:44 am

Yeah T-Flak certainly is an interesting scenario. It moves the focus away from the starbases and over to the warships, as a single fully loaded base is easily taken out by a small fleet without loss, thus leaving you wondering why you bothered to stock it full of fighters in the first place. I think T-Flak tends to favour the cloaking races, especially the pirates when it comes to combat. The privs arent big on warships, however a handfull of bloodfangs accompanied by a few cloakers can potentially be a real nightmare in open waters. Thankfully a number of large minefields strategically deployed managed to keep them at bay.

Large fleets are the order of the day in T-Flak so as to ensure you come into battle with superior firepower, however large fleets can't be everywhere at once either.... I certainly used this against the Priv to good effect and I think he started to cotton-on to the tactic as the game progressed, as he ended up losing a good deal of battles due to fewer ships. He did end up stealing a good sized fleet off me at one point due to an error on my part #-o

The lack of a VCR wasnt such a big problem, however I did miss the ability to lookup in echoview the details of an enemy ship that I had engaged in combat several turns prior. Congrats to Tei on the win, however like myself I get the feeling he didnt find himself overly challenged in the game haha :)

streu

Post#4 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:39 am

Havok wrote:I found that weird as well that AT wouldn't accept attaching that particular file in the attach list. I hope we can resolve that.
If that remains a problem, I could try to find a way to include FLAK combat in util.dat; I hope AT sends that :-)

--Stefan

Havok
Site Admin

Post#5 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:43 pm

AT should allow the attaching any file you want via the files naming in the atAttach.lst text file. For some reason in this game it was not picking up on the util.dat and flak.dat files.

Normally with a file of that nature that's going to go to everyone you would use a variable

util[Race.Number].dat
flak[Race.Number].dat

We've used this feature for many years. A perfect example would be when using the Explore Map mod and everyone gets a piece of the galactic map that they've explored.

I'm at a loss as to why it's behaving this way. What we need is new hosting software. I don't see Red Troll doing that. Besides in this day and age server side would probably be best.
Regards,
][avok

streu

Post#6 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Havok wrote:What we need is new hosting software. I don't see Red Troll doing that. Besides in this day and age server side would probably be best.
Well, maybe you noticed that I'm building exactly that: server-side hosting software :-) It's probably not as easy to set up as AT, though (source code is here, module "planetscentral"). Oh, and - like AT - it doesn't yet support SMTP auth :-)

--Stefan

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:22 pm

I noticed you had a online version of pcc2 or something like that last summer. I didn't look at it at the time. I have plenty of server space / bandwidth etc if you're interested in beta testing it from another site. My servers run on CentOS.
Regards,
][avok

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#8 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:45 am

I think the util*.dat files were sent to the players correctly.
It is just the flak*.dat files that did not want to be sent.

streu

Post#9 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:54 am

Havok wrote:I noticed you had a online version of pcc2 or something like that last summer. I didn't look at it at the time. I have plenty of server space / bandwidth etc if you're interested in beta testing it from another site. My servers run on CentOS.
PCC2 Web is specifically designed to be able to run on other hosts, such as yours. All you'd have to do is write a few lines of code to adapt it to your user database / host file structure. Its only problem is that its web GUI sucks :-) But if you want to try it, I'll be glad to assist.

The PlanetsCentral stack is a complete integrated hosting solution: system diagram, but even that can be split (i.e. use just c2host), and it needs a lot of work to build the web GUI for it. It has a lot more features than my server lets people use.

--Stefan

Tei

Post#10 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:31 pm

I enjoyed the T-Flak game. Having regular VCR files would have helped make the game more enjoyable. PCC combat simulated well the multiship combat.

Concentrating forces for the Borg is quite an easy thing. Once past the game beginning, where the Feds and Romulans could have wiped me out, the Borg would be hard to invade.

Flak does increase the usefullness of fleets with smaller ships although the heavier mass capital ships will last longer in a battle.

I noticed in mass battles that all the ships fire all weapons on one ship at a time. I'm not sure if numerical FC has any affect on the order of battle. It would interesting if there was an ability to change this behavior and set a group of ships to attack different enemy ships.

streu

Post#11 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Tei wrote:I noticed in mass battles that all the ships fire all weapons on one ship at a time. I'm not sure if numerical FC has any affect on the order of battle. It would interesting if there was an ability to change this behavior and set a group of ships to attack different enemy ships.
The ability to team up many small ships against a big one is the whole point of FLAK :-)

You can split your armada using numerical friendly codes to form multiple fleets. Each of these fleets will pick their target independantly. Each of these fleets will fire all weapons at one enemy ship at a time, but if the enemy approaches with multiple ships, the fleets will usually target different enemy ships.

Here are the gory details: http://phost.de/~stefan/flak/flak-user-doc.txt

--Stefan

Hawkeye

Post#12 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:13 am

With the game set to finish at turn 100, it's congrats to Tei, and well done to Oldslyguy for managing to hang on to third place. I reckon another couple of turns may have seen Atlan take third given the way the scores were trending :wink:

Good game, well enjoyed.

Return to “Messages From Old Games”