VGA Planets Ruined My Life

Excited about that hot new video game? Wanna brag about your sweet new gadget? Here's a place for you to talk about it!

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Wintermute

VGA Planets Ruined My Life

Post#1 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:22 pm

Yes it is true, I am a VGA Planets addict, I became one back in 93 and i was in recovery from 1994 through 2005. But then i fell off the wagon and here i am. But honestly do you believe this below?

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/11/18/paren ... addiction/

I found it after reading about the WOW funeral that was crashed, which i think is totally awesome, and was curious if maybe we are just too involved in planets :P i propose we form a planets anonymous group with meetings and all before we lose our jobs, families, and even lives?Somewhat like this

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,198859,00.html

Though on a side note, the media coverage of this type of addiction sounds incredibly similar to the coverage of Dungeons and Dragons back in the 80s with suicides and all.

--Winter

Cardno

Post#2 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:38 pm

I too am a vga addict.

I tend to play 2 - 3 games, and under periods of intense work pressure, join more games because i love to escape into the strategy of building a great economy. This of course turns to shit later on as the number of plants and ships in an increased portfolio of games builds....

With respect to the impact on family... i found divorce to be the most viable option, as opposed to giving up planets.....

I now date a fabulous buxom and vga friendly chick...... (what a combo!)

I say - put vga right up there with the neccessities of life! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Havok
Site Admin

Re: VGA Planets Ruined My Life

Post#3 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Wintermute wrote:Yes it is true, I am a VGA Planets addict, I became one back in 93 and i was in recovery from 1994 through 2005. But then i fell off the wagon and here i am. But honestly do you believe this below?

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/11/18/paren ... addiction/

I found it after reading about the WOW funeral that was crashed, which i think is totally awesome, and was curious if maybe we are just too involved in planets :P i propose we form a planets anonymous group with meetings and all before we lose our jobs, families, and even lives?Somewhat like this

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,198859,00.html

Though on a side note, the media coverage of this type of addiction sounds incredibly similar to the coverage of Dungeons and Dragons back in the 80s with suicides and all.

--Winter
You know though, the whole D&D thing back in the 80's didn't deliver the same instant stimulus (sp) that WOW delivers. My girlfriends son is a complete nut job for the game and over the last 6 months we've taken the wireless away, (he bought another), blocked the ports on the router (he logged onto a neighbors), blocked the ports on theirs and locked him out of it, he used another persons router, and eventually took his computer away. One evening when we were both working and his 60 day game card ran out, he went over to a neighbors and tried to borrow 30 bucks and said it was for something for school. He wasn't very convincing though, and we got a phone call. When I leave the house I have to block the ports on my own router so he can't go into the game on my system via his sisters account on this one. He's like a total WoW crack whore and it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. He's got all the signs of someone with an addiction.
Last edited by Havok on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
][avok

Mika

Post#4 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:59 pm

@ ][avok

Ever tried to ask blizzard to kick/ban his account? If there are reasons and if he is still under 18years that should be no problem for you or your gf.

And voila... the problem is solved. But I'm not sure how easy or impossible it is to make a new account with a different name, other IP or whatever... have nothing to do with all the technical stuff-

Mika
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

Havok
Site Admin

Post#5 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:43 pm

Mika wrote:@ ][avok

Ever tried to ask blizzard to kick/ban his account? If there are reasons and if he is still under 18years that should be no problem for you or your gf.

And voila... the problem is solved. But I'm not sure how easy or impossible it is to make a new account with a different name, other IP or whatever... have nothing to do with all the technical stuff-

Mika
He turned 18 in November. What he needs is a wake-up call, but his actions are only half the problem, his mother is the other half, she enables it all. That's a different story all together. :roll:
Regards,
][avok

Wintermute

Post#6 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:47 pm

I guess the days of grounding a kid inside the house are long gone huh. These days if you tell a kid to go outside and play you might be committing abuse, and even then all the fun things to do outside are being removed like the swings, biking without helmets, and fire :)

Of course I sit eagerly at my computer on my off time over here hoping an RST will hit my inbox from one of my 5 games, so am i that much better? Though se when it's 115 outside and 50% humidity you'd be hard pressed to find something else to do, until my wife gets home.

][avok, i'll tell you the answers to your gf's kids problem. It involves $50 and a late night excursion to downtown norfolk. :D He'll never be the same O:) Just make sure she doesn't have an Adams Apple.

--Winter

Cardno

Post#7 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:49 pm

Send him to NZ man. I will give him a job and sort him out... :twisted:

Havok wrote:

Mika
He turned 18 in November. What he needs is a wake-up call, but his actions are only half the problem, his mother is the other half, she enables it all. That's a different story all together. :roll:

Havok
Site Admin

Post#8 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:43 pm

Wintermute wrote:I guess the days of grounding a kid inside the house are long gone huh. These days if you tell a kid to go outside and play you might be committing abuse, and even then all the fun things to do outside are being removed like the swings, biking without helmets, and fire :)

Of course I sit eagerly at my computer on my off time over here hoping an RST will hit my inbox from one of my 5 games, so am i that much better? Though se when it's 115 outside and 50% humidity you'd be hard pressed to find something else to do, until my wife gets home.

][avok, i'll tell you the answers to your gf's kids problem. It involves $50 and a late night excursion to downtown norfolk. :D He'll never be the same O:) Just make sure she doesn't have an Adams Apple.

--Winter
Yeah, would definitely have to keep him out of Ocean View. :lol: He woudln's know what to do if he had the right thing anyway.

As for his gaming, I was a computer kid myself. But I didn't stay awake for almost 4 days straight playing Ultima on my C=64 either. I ran a BBS on my C=64 and on my first IBM PC and never had the frame of mind that I couldn't leave. It's crazy... I'm in an odd situation with this since I'm not his father, and it's driving my GF crazy, but she won't put her foot down, like I said before, she's an enabler.

If the hosting goes down for a couple of days, you'll all know I packed up and left 8)
Regards,
][avok

Havok
Site Admin

Post#9 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:45 pm

I think I'll go to NZ for an extened vacation... Maybe help the police find Steve.
Cardno wrote:Send him to NZ man. I will give him a job and sort him out... :twisted:

Havok wrote:

Mika
Regards,
][avok

FLETCH

Post#10 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:30 pm

Or if things get really desperate you could send him to Aus. I'm sure I could organise a bed amongst my "clients". I can guarantee he would have a life changing experience........ :twisted:
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Havok
Site Admin

Post#11 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:22 am

FLETCH wrote:Or if things get really desperate you could send him to Aus. I'm sure I could organise a bed amongst my "clients". I can guarantee he would have a life changing experience........ :twisted:
Leave him out in the bush with the Abo's for a few months... No electricty...
Regards,
][avok

Wintermute

Post#12 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:59 pm

I think you should go on Oprah, I'm sure she can get some "expert" in the field to tell you what a horrible boyfriend you are and how you aren't respecting a mother's parental rights. Hell, you might walk away with a free car or even a subscription to O. Maybe just the sight of her will scare him straight?

Havok
Site Admin

Post#13 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:59 pm

Wintermute wrote:I think you should go on Oprah, I'm sure she can get some "expert" in the field to tell you what a horrible boyfriend you are and how you aren't respecting a mother's parental rights. Hell, you might walk away with a free car or even a subscription to O. Maybe just the sight of her will scare him straight?
Jerry Springer would probably be a better place for this issue. At least then some chick would come up and take her shirt off. :shock:
Regards,
][avok

Death's Head

Post#14 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:16 pm

Well I've been looking through old posts since the host is down and my turn files for the 6 games I'm playing have been done and I stumbled across this post. :o

I have to admit that I've been addicted to some sort of computer game for quite some time, probably since the computer came out way back in the 80's. I believe Castle Wolfenstein was the first game I was in to when I was stationed in Germany. Then I was reassigned and we moved to Maryland where I discovered modems and the online game of Stellar Warrior that was run on the GE mainframes. This was a pay for play game and I spent a LOT of time and money on this game. The upside was that I was a kick ass player and our team always kicked butt month after month. This by the way was the birth of Death's Head.

Later I was aquainted with the game VGAP and still have my original DOS version of the game. I played this for many years and finally got out of it for quite some time.

After getting out of the army down in Texas and starting work for a tech company there (Applied Materials), I became involved in Everquest aka EverCRACK. :shock: I had two accounts and two computers and those of you familiar with the game or games of this type no doubt know what duo boxing is. My wife even got involved in the game somewhat since the second account was "hers" but she never was into it as much as I was. My primary account had all characters filled and hers had all characters filled as well. A couple of the characters were used for bank holders but my primary was high level character involved with an Uber Guild and was always quite busy.

Along with EQ there was the time I spent when the servers were down or just to relax at playing Half Life and of course a little Duke Nuke' em, and some Mech Warrior, and Unreal Tournament. Nothing like fragging some other poor sap at the other end of the telephone line for instant gratification.

We decided to move back up north almost 4 years ago and before we moved I sold the EQ accounts, mine having a level 60 Cleric (Feelsgood) as the primary, a level 55 Warrior (Xterminator), Level 58 Druid (Luvyen), level 42 Enchanter, level 40 Ranger and a couple other characters and of course they were all fitted out in Uber gear. I totalled up the time involved online across the two accounts for all the characters and to my amazement found in the 2 years I played the game I had 6 MONTHS of real time online usage. !!! That is like living 6 months online in a virtual world. :shock:

Well to make a long story short, I'm back to VGAP and into 6 games, one game I'm playing 3 races against another player who challenged me to a one on one match (Malice). I guess you could say I'm addicted. :lol:

I must say however that I totatlly disagree with people who try and sue the companies that create games. IMO everyone is responsible for their own actions and it's just a plain cop out when people try and blame the creators of the addictions, whether that would be tobacco, alcohol, drugs, television, or games. The people that point the finger at the creators should as I have posted before, look at where the other 3 fingers point. It is NOT the fault of the creator, but of the individual who has the addiction to make the choice of whether they continue or stop. The parents who are suing the game manufacturer of WoW should be asking themselves if they did everything in their power to help the addicted son.

So now you have a brief overview of the person behind the Death's Head handle, where he came from and only he knows or controls (maybe) where he is going to. I'm sure that someday I will once again say enough VGAP, but I wonder what the next game will be.

Of my soap box now, I need a good stiff drink and a cigarette....... :roll:
Death's Head (Your Worst Nightmare)

Return to “Technology & Games”