Games that take you away from VGAP

Excited about that hot new video game? Wanna brag about your sweet new gadget? Here's a place for you to talk about it!

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

User avatar
Julius Atreides
Posts: 402

Post#16 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:53 pm

I used to play a lot of NWN and COH. But that was before I got into VGA.

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#17 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:03 pm

Julius Atreides wrote:I used to play a lot of NWN and COH. But that was before I got into VGA.
NWN rocked. I haven't picked up the sequel though. I hear it's buggy.
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#18 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:58 pm

Julius Atreides wrote:I used to play a lot of NWN and COH. But that was before I got into VGA.
i bet you never played CoH before planets!
have fun!

hennef

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#19 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:58 pm

3 letters just are not enough anymore ;)
have fun!

hennef

User avatar
PaladinCyborg
Posts: 374

Post#20 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:14 pm

When Grandkids come to visit, I don't even have time for e-mail. We keep them about 3-nights per week. Mommy and Daddy both work and attend school, and we're glad to help.

Other than that, I play a range of strategy and RPG games. Of RPG games, I like most of the Final Fanstasy series. Of the strategy games, I usually play any of the Civilization games, Axis and Allies, Shogun, and General Quarters.

User avatar
majorm
Posts: 116

Post#21 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:19 pm

Is there any game like vgap? Maybe via Internet?
Has to be roundbased, strategic and diplomatic. I can't believe vgap is the only game like that out there..

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#22 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:34 pm

PaladinCyborg wrote:Other than that, I play a range of strategy and RPG games. Of RPG games, I like most of the Final Fanstasy series. Of the strategy games, I usually play any of the Civilization games, Axis and Allies, Shogun, and General Quarters.
I have the original PC version of Civilization on my thumb drive. It's like 5 megs...

Plays great anywhere :-'
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
Klauser
Posts: 991

Post#23 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:17 pm

Havok wrote:
PaladinCyborg wrote:Other than that, I play a range of strategy and RPG games. Of RPG games, I like most of the Final Fanstasy series. Of the strategy games, I usually play any of the Civilization games, Axis and Allies, Shogun, and General Quarters.
I have the original PC version of Civilization on my thumb drive. It's like 5 megs...

Plays great anywhere :-'
Ooooo .... is that Sid Meiers original Civ or the orginal Avalon Hill Civ game (I think the PC version was called Advanced Civ)??
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#24 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:57 pm

Klauser wrote:
Havok wrote:
PaladinCyborg wrote:Other than that, I play a range of strategy and RPG games. Of RPG games, I like most of the Final Fanstasy series. Of the strategy games, I usually play any of the Civilization games, Axis and Allies, Shogun, and General Quarters.
I have the original PC version of Civilization on my thumb drive. It's like 5 megs...

Plays great anywhere :-'
Ooooo .... is that Sid Meiers original Civ or the orginal Avalon Hill Civ game (I think the PC version was called Advanced Civ)??
It's the Sid Meier edition. YOu want a copy?
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
Klauser
Posts: 991

Post#25 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:14 pm

Havok wrote:It's the Sid Meier edition. YOu want a copy?
Oh my stars and garters!!

Absatively!!!!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#26 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:17 pm

haven't played any iteration of CIV so I don't know what the allure is.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Mika
Posts: 739
Contact:

Post#27 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:38 pm

yeaaaaaaaaaaaah CIV!
I still play Civ2 Gold from time to time and the best thing is that you can play it online too! Unfortunately it's hard to find good adversaries.

in the last weeks I got a few games
Port Royale 2 (not played much), Anno 1503 (looks interesting) and now Silent Hunter 3. And that one really impresses me!

And I still love to play a few combat mission - from barbarossa to Berlin and some combat mission - africa korps battles. The good thing with combat mission is that you can play it via email.

For those who don't know it. It is a semi real time strategy game. Semi-RTS means that you have an order phase and then you get a "movie file" (compare it with vpl... first you make your orders and then you see the VCR where both sides act at once). You can download demo versions at www.battlefront.com. I'm always happy to find new adversaries.

That keeps me more than busy at the moment.

Mika
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

User avatar
Hawkeye
Posts: 1029

Post#28 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:41 pm

Backcountry skiing, mountain biking and rock climbing mostly.

On the subject of VGAP alternatives, some time back I started to design a land based version of Planets with cities instead of planets, air, land, sea and subterrain units (mechs, tanks, fighters etc), different races and different terrain types. The good thing about it was that once complete, a change of names, stats and graphics was all that was required to create a new game based upon fantasy style wargaming (orcs, dragons, minotaurs etc).

Never did get around to finishing it though :(

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#29 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:33 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Backcountry skiing, mountain biking and rock climbing mostly.

On the subject of VGAP alternatives, some time back I started to design a land based version of Planets with cities instead of planets, air, land, sea and subterrain units (mechs, tanks, fighters etc), different races and different terrain types. The good thing about it was that once complete, a change of names, stats and graphics was all that was required to create a new game based upon fantasy style wargaming (orcs, dragons, minotaurs etc).

Never did get around to finishing it though :(
Total Annihilation did that back in the mid 90's. They converted their whole system into another setting with dragons and such called Total Annihilation: Kingdoms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Anni ... :_Kingdoms

It wasn't as entertaining (to me) as regular TA was....

Supreme Commander comes out around Feb 20th.

I'll be ready to take ANYONE on shortly after that.
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#30 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:52 am

i would need a new machine first..... and i want it soo badly :(

kingdoms was sheisse btw!

maybe after i am done here with my diploma-test, i will have time to test that game Mika spoke of.
have fun!

hennef

Return to “Technology & Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron