Microsoft Vista

Excited about that hot new video game? Wanna brag about your sweet new gadget? Here's a place for you to talk about it!

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Havok
Site Admin

Post#46 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:20 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
Havok wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote: Headache is trying to make XP and Vista dual boot. More reading coming up.
I'll be picking up my DVD after work. I was told that Vista offered to do this when installed on a machine that already had XP running on it.
Let me know how it goes. I was going to wipe everyting this weekend and install WinXP and then VIsta after that to see if that would would.

BTW, what that article said about running a program in XP w/SP2 mode seems to work very well. WinPlan sometimes still has slight delay. I still have at least 1 program that will not install because checks to what Windows you are using and Vista isn't in its list of OS.
Will do.
Regards,
][avok

Havok
Site Admin

Vista Update

Post#47 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:11 pm

Well, I've got the new hard drive in the laptop. Then installed XP.

No problems at all there.

Afterwards I put Vista in the drive and went to install that. It wanted to whip out the existing partition and install itself. Did a little reading, went back into XP and split the partition into 2.

From there, I installed Vista onto the new partition and after it restarted, I have a dual boot screen (no countdown timer) but the choice defaults to Vista.

One very interesting thing that I noticed after starting Vista and looking at the drives (partitions) in Explorer is that even though I installed Vista on to the second partition (drive E:), when vista is running, it shows it as drive C:. Drive D: is the DVD Rom. Back in XP, the original partition is still C: and the one I created is E:.

Vista looks great and definitely has a more sophisticated look and style to it. You could compare it to a MAC, but it all still looks like Windows to me.

Now I just need to figure out how to put a mobile video card with more RAM into my laptop.

So, so far. I'm giving it a thumbs up. I'll be putting Office 2007 in later.
Last edited by Havok on Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#48 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks for the information. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

BTW, by setting older software to run in WinXP compatibility mode doesn't really help. I'm still running into compatiblity issue (I can burn CDs now with Nero 6.6 Suite but some of the other features causes Nero to shutdown and Diskeeper 8 will defrag a hard drive up to 40% and just stops.)
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#49 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:05 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Thanks for the information. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

BTW, by setting older software to run in WinXP compatibility mode doesn't really help. I'm still running into compatiblity issue (I can burn CDs now with Nero 6.6 Suite but some of the other features causes Nero to shutdown and Diskeeper 8 will defrag a hard drive up to 40% and just stops.)
I'll be installing some things later today in addition to Office 2007. I expect we'll see some patches soon :)
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#50 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:11 pm

Yes, you'll get about 7 patches for Vista, at least I did.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#51 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:11 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Yes, you'll get about 7 patches for Vista, at least I did.
I had some small ones last night. I put in the ultimate edition... I think in all I got about 8 megs worth.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#52 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:04 pm

If anyone is interested in "tweaking" Vista here is a link that looks to some good information. I haven't checked them out myself yet, but I will start tonight.

http://www.speedyvista.com/index.html
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#53 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:29 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:If anyone is interested in "tweaking" Vista here is a link that looks to some good information. I haven't checked them out myself yet, but I will start tonight.

http://www.speedyvista.com/index.html
The first step is to uninstall it right :)
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#54 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:32 pm

Only if you don't like it.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#55 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:50 pm

Havok, did you get the 32 or 64 bit version of Vista? I know you answered this somewhere but I can't find it.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#56 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:43 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Havok, did you get the 32 or 64 bit version of Vista? I know you answered this somewhere but I can't find it.
I've got both. I'm running the 32bit on my laptop and 64bit on the desktop.

The 64bit is sluggish. I don't have enough RAM for it. (2 gigs of DD3, I understand it should be at least 4 gigs for 64bit)... I'm going to pull it out and put the 32bit back in until I can get some more ram (after DD3 comes down a bit).
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Technology & Games”