What online games...

Excited about that hot new video game? Wanna brag about your sweet new gadget? Here's a place for you to talk about it!

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Havok
Site Admin

What online games...

Post#1 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:38 pm

...are you guys playing?

I'm not just referring to WoW. There are others out there like Civilization 4 and such.
Regards,
][avok

hennef

Post#2 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:12 pm

guild wars!

rocks :woot:
lightyears better than WoW. and. i paused for month now, due to time-problems. i will not have a single problem with that. i will not have missed stupid waepons, i will not be hopefully beyond those who play all the time. it is player-friendly. i love it. and it looks better and is much more tactical. really!

and CoH, of course. Hitler the shit out of the amis, or vice versa: bush the shit out of the germans.
it is soo much fun, i tend to play it every other evening.
have fun!

hennef

robert

Post#3 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:32 am

hennef wrote:guild wars!

rocks :woot:
lightyears better than WoW. and. i paused for month now, due to time-problems. i will not have a single problem with that. i will not have missed stupid waepons, i will not be hopefully beyond those who play all the time. it is player-friendly. i love it. and it looks better and is much more tactical. really!

and CoH, of course. Hitler the shit out of the amis, or vice versa: bush the shit out of the germans.
it is soo much fun, i tend to play it every other evening.
Is guild wars a PBEM game ? and what does CoM and WoW stand for?

Mika

Post#4 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:27 am

If you like to play something via email I can only recommend Combat Mission to you.

Combat Mission - From Barbarossa to Berlin (eastern front, WW2)
Combat Mission - Africa Corps (North and East Africa, Crete, Italy, Germans and Italians vs Commonwealth and Americans)

(short: CMBB and CMAK)

But trying Civ4 online... hmmm, sounds very tempting. Just a matter of time I think. I loved Civ2 (gold) and played it for years! Civ 3 was horrible but Civ 4 got back to the roots again and was much better. But it still has the cheating AI and I really hate that. It just sucks if your empire is three times bigger, you have more trade (money, science), more production but they are still ahead in science.

I'm still hoping for a Civ game that has a really good and NOT cheating AI.

But as said... CMBB and CMAK (I prefer CMAK) are good games, you can play it via TCP/IP or via email and it is semi RTS. That means you give your orders, your opponent gives orders and then both see a 1 minute movie file - the result of the orders in real time.

Just try it and feel free to ask the master himself ;)

Mika
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

robert

Post#5 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:33 am

Mika wrote:If you like to play something via email I can only recommend Combat Mission to you.

Combat Mission - Africa Corps (North and East Africa, Crete, Italy, Germans and Italians vs Commonwealth and Americans)

But trying Civ4 online... hmmm, sounds very tempting. Just a matter of time I think. I loved Civ2 (gold) and played it for years! Civ 3 was horrible but Civ 4 got back to the roots again and was much better. But it still has the cheating AI and I really hate that. It just sucks if your empire is three times bigger, you have more trade (money, science), more production but they are still ahead in science.

But as said... CMBB and CMAK (I prefer CMAK) are good games, you can play it via TCP/IP or via email and it is semi RTS. That means you give your orders, your opponent gives orders and then both see a 1 minute movie file - the result of the orders in real time.

Mika
I will take a look later

hennef

Post#6 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:12 pm

Mika wrote:If you like to play something via email I can only recommend Combat Mission to you.

Mika
i tested them right after you mentioned those titles some time ago. looking very promising - but i lack time to get experienced with it. maybe way later this year.
have fun!

hennef

Julius Atreides

Post#7 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:42 pm

Yep, the online game I played some is CoH too.

I haven't played in few weeks I think and my account will be ending in about a week though.

Fun game overall but as with most of em a collossal expenditure of time if one isnt careful. I'll stick to reading history and law stuff for fun for a while.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#8 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:06 pm

While I was down an out last weekend I put the expansion for Civ 4 in (Warlords) and played that for about 6 hours. If you haven't played Civ 4 yet, you should consider giving it a try.

I'd like to try it online against someone or a group at some point. There's also a Play By Email option too.
Regards,
][avok

Mika

Post#9 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:13 pm

play by email might take ages for Civ4
are there any good scenarios out there? I still remember the WW2 scenarios or the civil war from Civ2... they were great for online games.

I will install the game again and look if I need some patches or something. I don't have the expansion set but if it works I'd give the basic Civ4 a try. Have to test it this weekend to get used to it again first.

I'll drop you a PM if you also want to try a 1vs1.

Mika
Oderint dum metuant.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#10 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:15 pm

Mika wrote:play by email might take ages for Civ4
are there any good scenarios out there? I still remember the WW2 scenarios or the civil war from Civ2... they were great for online games.

I will install the game again and look if I need some patches or something. I don't have the expansion set but if it works I'd give the basic Civ4 a try. Have to test it this weekend to get used to it again first.

Mika
That's the beauty of PBEM, there's no time table. :) There are several scenarios with Civ4, and there are even more added with the Warlords expansion.

BTW, with Warlords, you can even play the Barbarians.
Regards,
][avok

robert

Post#11 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:22 pm

Havok wrote:
Mika wrote:play by email might take ages for Civ4

Mika
That's the beauty of PBEM, there's no time table. :) There are several scenarios with Civ4, and there are even more added with the Warlords expansion.

Ill see if I can get a copy

Mika

Post#12 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:42 pm

Havok wrote:That's the beauty of PBEM, there's no time table. :) There are several scenarios with Civ4, and there are even more added with the Warlords expansion.

that makes the time difference much easier too. I'm not sure if it is possible to switch from TCP/IP to pbem. If yes it would be a good idea to make some turns that way and as soon as the city and unit management gets more time intensive we could switch to pbem.

Ah... I already feel my fingers itching again. I'm not merried yet but I'm sure I'd get divorced soon if Civ4 is only half as addictive as Civ2 was.
Oderint dum metuant.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#13 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:45 pm

Mika wrote:
Havok wrote:That's the beauty of PBEM, there's no time table. :) There are several scenarios with Civ4, and there are even more added with the Warlords expansion.

that makes the time difference much easier too. I'm not sure if it is possible to switch from TCP/IP to pbem. If yes it would be a good idea to make some turns that way and as soon as the city and unit management gets more time intensive we could switch to pbem.

Ah... I already feel my fingers itching again. I'm not merried yet but I'm sure I'd get divorced soon if Civ4 is only half as addictive as Civ2 was.
It will require a little research. I doubt it will be a problem though.
Regards,
][avok

Havok
Site Admin

Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword

Post#14 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:52 pm

To funny! Here we are talking about Civ4 and Firaxis made an annoucement today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Civilization IV expands
Add-on for the popular Sid Meier game series coming in July, will include 12 new scenarios and five new wonders.

Sid Meier's Civilization series of PC strategy games has featured plenty of diplomacy at the tip of spears and swords, but now the developer wants to pay a bit more attention to diplomacy at the end of a barrel. 2K today announced that it is readying Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, the second expansion pack to 2005's Civilization IV.

The expansion focuses on adding content to the in-game time periods following the invention of gunpowder, and will add 12 new scenarios, some of which have been designed by members of Civilization IV's fan community.

There will also be 10 new factions to choose from, including Portugal, Babylon, and the Netherlands, as well as 16 new leaders. Other new content includes five new wonders of the world to discover--for example, the Statue of Zeus, Mausoleum of Maussollos, and the Maoi Statues.

Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword will be released worldwide in July. It is published by 2K and developed by Firaxis Games.

hennef

Post#15 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:45 am

ww2 scenarios in civ2 and civ4? are my eyes lying to me?
=P~
have fun!

hennef

Return to “Technology & Games”