AI WARS

Excited about that hot new video game? Wanna brag about your sweet new gadget? Here's a place for you to talk about it!

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Proteus

AI WARS

Post#1 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:59 pm

I have been looking for ways to improve and change the gameplay for the players. A utility that would change the dynamics of the game would be a Cplayer or Q that each player could program to move specific ships.

Well, on the web I have found something that could be the precursor to that idea.

At this web site ... www.cs.mcgill.ca/~stever/games/

.... there are numerous games in which you program or pseudo-program your turn.

AI WARS comes in two styles ... a bug or an armoured tank. You write the code to hunt and kill your opponents.

Other games teach you to program in Java.

Has anyone tried any of these games?

Proteus

Post#2 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 am

I have downloaded and tried several of these and researched the websites that are still operational.

The BEST one appears to be AI WARS (the insect mind). What you are building is a BOT.

There are many sites still functioning that support this program with good tutorials, utilities and many cybugs that can be copied/learned from, etc. The last shareware program is a 2d (upgradable to 3d) environment with a battle sim and programming/debugging editor. The earlier shareware versions 2a and 2b were very limited, but the latest one aiw3d_562 is quite good. Graphics are ega/vga quality which run fine on my laptop P1. The 3d version requires a 4meg graphics card.

The game appeared to peak around 2000/2001 and was aimed at someone interested, but with limited or no knowledge in programming. Like the other games in this "series" the aim was to provide a tool to learn how to program bots.

Lines of code range from about 4 lines to get the cybug moving to a max of 2000 lines for a very sophisticated cybug that is a hunter/killer.

I have spent about 4 hours just reading and using the battle sim/ programming editor. It is not hard, the interphase is straightforward ard it is a lot of fun. Just getting the cybug to move and avoid obstacles had me reading other cybugs code to improve mine. The syntaxes, etc are new but not difficult to master.

It reminds me of discovering an ancient alien factory in which the original owners have long since gone and I am slowly activating and learning how to build their machines.

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#3 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:28 am

Proteus wrote:I have downloaded and tried several of these and researched the websites that are still operational.

The BEST one appears to be AI WARS (the insect mind). What you are building is a BOT.

There are many sites still functioning that support this program with good tutorials, utilities and many cybugs that can be copied/learned from, etc. The last shareware program is a 2d (upgradable to 3d) environment with a battle sim and programming/debugging editor. The earlier shareware versions 2a and 2b were very limited, but the latest one aiw3d_562 is quite good. Graphics are ega/vga quality which run fine on my laptop P1. The 3d version requires a 4meg graphics card.

The game appeared to peak around 2000/2001 and was aimed at someone interested, but with limited or no knowledge in programming. Like the other games in this "series" the aim was to provide a tool to learn how to program bots.

Lines of code range from about 4 lines to get the cybug moving to a max of 2000 lines for a very sophisticated cybug that is a hunter/killer.

I have spent about 4 hours just reading and using the battle sim/ programming editor. It is not hard, the interphase is straightforward ard it is a lot of fun. Just getting the cybug to move and avoid obstacles had me reading other cybugs code to improve mine. The syntaxes, etc are new but not difficult to master.

It reminds me of discovering an ancient alien factory in which the original owners have long since gone and I am slowly activating and learning how to build their machines.
This sounds like a game that came out years ago. Can't remember the manufacturer, but it sounds very very familiar.
Best Regards,

Joe

Proteus

Post#5 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:11 am

Another interesting one is Fleet Commander. In this game you program and design (?) a space fleet of ships.

I found various links with using google "fleet commander ai"

Proteus

Post#6 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:35 pm

I have started "programming" and the concept is very good. It doesn't take long to have a simple cybug bot moving, but avoiding mines while hunting and targetting other bots in 2d is more difficult. I know what I want the bugger to do ..... but ....

To understand how ai and bots "think" there are many articles on the web and it is surprising how quickly you learn when motivated to find a solution to programming your cybug. What was once programming gibberish is starting to make more sense after several readings.

I sent away for the registered version which includes the armoured tank version, mainly because of the debugging tool and I feel that the author would spend more time answering any noob questions I have.

Proteus

Post#7 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:19 pm

To learn what is effective and what is not, I have printed out all the dronexx.ai files. They are cybugs with a specific style of code eg movement, scanning, etc that you can use and see how it works.

Each is about a page long with some having two lines of code to 200 lines. The files are sequential starting from drone c1 to c7, then b1 to b9, etc each becoming more advanced with something new added.

These files are for use with the shareware game.

Return to “Technology & Games”