MSSTDFMT.DLL - it's happening again

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

MSSTDFMT.DLL - it's happening again

Post by Gilgamesh » Sun May 06, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi all - hope everyone is well.

I finally had to break down and get a Windows 10 machine and as usual, I'm having problems getting Planets working.

Version 3.5.114 is my favourite version as it's most like the original Winplan and I seem to have everything sorted out but when I try to open the planet window I get

"Run Time Error 713. Class not registered. You need to the following file to be installed on your machine - MSSTDFMT.DLL"

The DLL in question is in my SYSWOW64 folder - I logged on as administrator and put it there myself. It only seems to be happening in the planet window - ships, starbases seem fine. "Seem" fine, anyway, so far...

I also tried to run Tim's Winplan using the compatibility tool. No luck getting it to even run, Windows says it can't run this version even though I have tried setting it up as Windows XP and even Windows 95.

Damn - how I hate getting a new laptop. I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Gil
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Re: MSSTDFMT.DLL - it's happening again

Post by Havok » Wed May 09, 2018 11:25 pm

I'll send Bitmask a msg about your post.
Regards,
][avok

BitMask
Site Admin

Post by BitMask » Thu May 10, 2018 1:26 am

You need to register the dll as well.
The easiest to get it going would be to install one of the new versions Winplan V3.6.0.63 http://vgap.innernet.co.za/ and get that running. (The setup install most of the files for you). Then once you have the V3.6.0.63 running, just copy your Version 3.5.114 to that same install location and run it from there.

Otherwise follow the steps in this topic to register the DLL as administrator
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5666

Good luck :)

Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh » Thu May 10, 2018 9:32 am

Ahh - got it! I looked at that thread and realized that I hadn't done the regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\msstdfmt.dll thing. Had to run the cmd window as administrator, but all is well now. Thanks so much BM!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Return to “Scuttlebutt”