SDC 2005 Results

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Sysop
Site Admin

SDC 2005 Results

Post#1 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:45 am

SDC 2005 Results
Finally! The results are in for the 2005 Scenario Design Contest. I want to thank all of the participants for your submissions. Let’s get right to it.

1st Place goes to Matt Clouser. Matt’s scenario is called “The Klingon Civil War: The Race for Qo'Nos”. One word, Stunning! When I opened this scenario I thought I was looking at a professionally produced package. The attention to detail is incredible. Matt has included literally everything. Custom map, shiplist, starting RST files, and modified Winplan BMP files, and an outstanding story right out of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I think there’s a kitchen sink as well. This is absolutely the best scenario I’ve ever seen for VGAP and definitely raises the bar for scenario production.

2nd Place goes to Grant Woodring. Grant’s innovative scenario is called “VGA Planets Chess”. Grant’s scenario is designed for 2 players and there are 55 possible combinations for a game. Each player starts w/ 16 planets, and there are 64 planets total on the map, just like there’s s 64 squares on a chess board. The winner is the 1st to capture or destroy his opponents flagship.

3rd Place goes to Thomas Klebes. Thomas’s offering is a PHOST scenario called “Balance 2005”. This is an interesting 3x1 and 4x2 single/team game combination on a custom ring/cluster map. Each player has a mission to fulfill. The goals are two fold. The 3 races on the inner cluster must fight one another and capture the others home worlds. The goal of the outer ring races is to hold the balance of power between the 3 single players on the inner ring while the teams on the outer ring accomplish their missions they receive at the beginning of the game.

There are two other scenarios that get honorable mention. “Spiraling Death” by Richard Boggs and “3D World” by Eugene Goroh. Both are excellent offerings that are very simple in design yet bring a lot to the table when played.

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks again to everyone who participated! We’ll see you again next year.
Best Regards,

Joe

Return to “Scuttlebutt”