Images in Resource Pln - exporting???

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Akalabeth

Images in Resource Pln - exporting???

Post#1 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:52 am

Does anyone know if its possible to export the images from the dos resource plan into individual BMP files??

I prefer the images that show up when you run BSIM. most of them are top down views and are more consistent than whatever I've got going in Winplan. (though a few of the ships are not for whatever reason (ie ISD, Cygnus, and so on)). They're similar in appearance to the SFB ships that Klauser did.

I have this EditPLN shareware but I don't see any button for exporting. I tried printscrning the thing but that didn't work either.

Thanks

Klauser

Re: Images in Resource Pln - exporting???

Post#2 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:21 am

Akalabeth wrote:Does anyone know if its possible to export the images from the dos resource plan into individual BMP files??

I prefer the images that show up when you run BSIM. most of them are top down views and are more consistent than whatever I've got going in Winplan. (though a few of the ships are not for whatever reason (ie ISD, Cygnus, and so on)). They're similar in appearance to the SFB ships that Klauser did.

I have this EditPLN shareware but I don't see any button for exporting. I tried printscrning the thing but that didn't work either.

Thanks
Thanks for noticing the BMP work in SFB. I have to mention that BANE took my original, "flatter" SFB graphics and did a gorgeous job of bringing out the colors and shading.

Anywho ... back to your question. The only app I found that allows you to export the graphics into BMP files is Van Den Bo's Galaxy Map (PlanMap). When viewing the hull specs in this app, there is a button to copy out (or paste in) the graphic you want and transfer it to your favorite graphics program.

There is, of course, a catch - the graphic you export is a 4-bit (16 color) graphic and the colors will be translated wrong. (Why the colors are off is a long discussion best had over your recreational chemical of choice ;) )

My labor intensive work-around is do screen-shosts from Tim's SHIPS.EXE from the DOS planets and resize for Winplan graphics.

Hope that helps ...
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

B A N E

Post#3 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:26 am

For resource.pln, are you using one from the altpln's that I did?

If so, I changed a few ship hulls just because I hated the originals
enough that I didn't leave them the same. A few others were whims.
The latest version is here at CM; Altpln2a.

As for exporting them to .bmps for use in winplan?
Yes, that's possible.
I'll have to go look for it, but I think it was pln2pcx & pcx2pln.
Then you would need to convert from .pcx to .bmp.
I may have it archived somewhere.

There was also at one time an archive of bmps of the altpln
ships. I'll look for those as well.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

B A N E

Post#4 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:11 am

Found it, will be sending to Havok.
The filename I have is:
VGAPEDIT
Within the zipfile is:
PCX2PLN.EXE - Import PCX files into VGA
Planets RESOURCE.PLN File
PLN2PCX.EXE - Create PCX files from images
found in a VGA Planets

I also found something else that might be of interest to you and
especially Klauser:
VCREDIT
Overview:
What is VCR Editor? VCR Editor is a program to allow you to change the bitmap files in WINPlan VCR combats. This includes both actual VCR combats and sims. It has no capacity to edit the bitmaps itself. You supply the edited bitmap, it makes it so that it corresponds with WINPlan's VCR pictures.
I also found my old export of the altpln.
WP_BMPS1

I sent all three to Havok this morning.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

B A N E

Post#5 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:33 am

So, I looked at the changes exampled by the wpvcr.dll replacement
at Donovan's... Nice!

Looks substantially better, and then I remember when Winplan came
out and the painfully slow processors we had back then. I imagine
that "upgrade" would have ground w95/w98 computers with 386,
486 & early pentiums to a halt.

In the history of VGAP, the initial reason for the 500 limit on everything
was due to the fact that late games could take hours to host a game.
:shock:
Reminds me of the early Phost days when Andrew Sterian & co would
proclaim Phost's superiority in speed and it was brutal the difference.
Hours vs minutes.
:lol:
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

warpedboard

Post#6 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:24 am

Can't help much on the extract-from-DOS-resource front -- Bane & Klauser (and others) have done by far the best work I've seen there.

However, since VCR replacement has come up too, thought I'd mention that if you want to replace the graphics in wpvcr.dll, I made a util a while back to both unpack all the bitmaps in the file into individual .bmp files, and allow repacking said (possibly modified) files back into a wpvcr.dll. If you're interested, let me know & I can either send it to you or ask Havok to add it to the downloads.

B A N E

Post#7 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:26 am

warpedboard wrote:Can't help much on the extract-from-DOS-resource front -- Bane & Klauser (and others) have done by far the best work I've seen there.

However, since VCR replacement has come up too, thought I'd mention that if you want to replace the graphics in wpvcr.dll, I made a util a while back to both unpack all the bitmaps in the file into individual .bmp files, and allow repacking said (possibly modified) files back into a wpvcr.dll. If you're interested, let me know & I can either send it to you or ask Havok to add it to the downloads.
YES!
:lol:
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#8 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:39 am

warpedboard wrote:Can't help much on the extract-from-DOS-resource front -- Bane & Klauser (and others) have done by far the best work I've seen there.

Definitely send it in and I'll post it.
Regards,
][avok

warpedboard

Post#9 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:00 pm

Havok wrote:

Definitely send it in and I'll post it.
It's on the way now!

Akalabeth

Post#10 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:30 pm

B A N E wrote:For resource.pln, are you using one from the altpln's that I did?

If so, I changed a few ship hulls just because I hated the originals
enough that I didn't leave them the same. A few others were whims.
The latest version is here at CM; Altpln2a.
Oh okay. I think I figured it out. Yah I prefer the Resource.pln images to the winplan .bmp images because the Resource.pln ships are for the most part more consistent (all the top down view), even if they are of lower quality.

I checked out your altpln2, and you did some good work though I'm not fond of putting Narn Heavy Cruisers into the Gorn fleet or Cardassians into the Tholians ;)

The Borg look decent though. I never understood the design aesthetic of their smaller ships.

But anyway, that's what's good about the SFB ships. They're all top down, and they're all of consistent quality. Not 167 different views, unique for every ship.

Maybe I should just make my own .bmps to use. Though that would be a crapload of work. I know there are some other BMPs that use random images and throw Voyager ships and Narn ships (screenshots) again into the mix but they've never appealed to me much either.

Cherek

Post#11 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:42 pm

Akalabeth wrote: Maybe I should just make my own .bmps to use. Though that would be a crapload of work. I know there are some other BMPs that use random images and throw Voyager ships and Narn ships (screenshots) again into the mix but they've never appealed to me much either.
That is what I've over the years. I see a ship I like, BAM, it be becomes a vplXXX.bmp. I'm not even sure if I still use any of the original ship BMPs.
*EDIT*
I've done the same with the planets, too.

Hmmm, maybe one of these days, I'll just delete my THost and PHost directories and install everything from scratch. I believe I'm using copies of copies of copies of my original Winplan install.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#12 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:48 pm

Don't do it Cherek!
It'll probably fail to run.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#13 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:01 pm

B A N E wrote:Don't do it Cherek!
It'll probably fail to run.
Not to worry, I'll still have my backup directories. :D
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Klauser

Post#14 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:17 pm

By the dead gods of Qo'Nos, YES - POST THEM!!!!!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Cherek

Post#15 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:19 pm

warpedboard wrote:
PlayVCR uses whatever BMP files you have in WinPlan\BMP directory. That way, whatever ships you are using in WinPlan are the same one you see in combat.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Scuttlebutt”