Windows 7 and VGAP

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Zardoz

Windows 7 and VGAP

Post#1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:13 pm

Not certain if this is the right forum or not......But here is my issue.....
My home computer died, dead, caput.....had to break down and get a new one.
Problem - I could ONLY get Windows 7 as an operating system. Now I cannot install VGAP, says it is not compatible with the operating system, its to old, and needs an update from software manufacturer to install.
I have been to Tim's main website and cannot find anything for support.

Any suggestions? OR, Does anyone know a solution....detailed....not a computer whiz kid.....
Zardoz

"Look, we've got front row tickets to the end of the earth!"

VilleK

Post#2 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:33 pm

I've VGA P on (this) Windows 7 machine and got it installing through the registered CD.

Just ignore all the issues your Win 7 tries to throw at you and run the setup as administrator.

Should work fine.

hennef

Post#3 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

I am using JVC on a Win7 RC and it works nicely.

Btw i blocked your avatar-pic as it makes my eyes explode...
have fun!

hennef

Hawkeye

Post#4 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:41 pm

hennef wrote:I am using JVC on a Win7 RC and it works nicely.

I kinda think his avatar pic matches his personality :P

streu

Re: Windows 7 and VGAP

Post#5 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:43 pm

Zardoz wrote:Not certain if this is the right forum or not......But here is my issue.....
My home computer died, dead, caput.....had to break down and get a new one.
Problem - I could ONLY get Windows 7 as an operating system. Now I cannot install VGAP, says it is not compatible with the operating system, its to old, and needs an update from software manufacturer to install.
I have been to Tim's main website and cannot find anything for support.

Any suggestions? OR, Does anyone know a solution....detailed....not a computer whiz kid.....
You probably have the 64-bit version of Windows (should be shown on My Computer->Properties). If you can replace that with the 32-bit version, Winplan should run again. 64-bit OSes do not grok anything under 32 bit. I'm not sure whether that "virtual Windows XP mode" would help for that.

Alternative solutions:
  • use DOSBOX (a 32-bit program) to simulate a virtual PC, and run planets.exe, VPA, PCC on that
  • use a Java client (JVC, JVPC)
  • use PCC2 (a 32-bit client, should be playable, new version out soon)
  • wait for Winplan 32 bit (I heard someone was trying to make such a beast, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it)

--Stefan

Zardoz

Post#6 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:54 pm

System came with Win7 64-bit pre-installed. Cannot change to 32 bit, as far as I know. I have tried Dosbox, and a couple of others...get the same message...need an update to make it compatible.

Thanks for the info....guess I am offline from playing until a Win 7 update is done......
Zardoz

"Look, we've got front row tickets to the end of the earth!"

hennef

Post#7 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:22 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
hennef wrote:I am using JVC on a Win7 RC and it works nicely.

I kinda think his avatar pic matches his personality :P
like yours? :lol:

cheers! :cheers:
have fun!

hennef

Logain

Post#8 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:28 pm

Have you considered adding a second (your old?) hard drive and running your old version of Windows XP on it? You could then boot to the second drive and play VGAP.

hennef

Post#9 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:33 pm

If I had problems with that I would use the Box/emulator-option... Unless you have a spare PC or laptop to use for old games... There are so many old games worth playing ;)
have fun!

hennef

Gavan

Post#10 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Zardoz,

The problem is that winplan is still a 16-bit application. (think windows 3.11) and you have a 64-bit OS installed. (This problem would happen if you had XP 64-bit or Vista 64-bit or Windows 7 64-bit)

I am playing using winplan on a 32-bit version of Windows 7 without a problem.

As you have a legal copy (The microsoft sticker with an oem number on the computer is the license) I would suggest you get a copy of the 32-bit version and have the computer reinstalled (not upgraded) using your license number from the sticker.
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#11 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:46 pm

Zardoz wrote:System came with Win7 64-bit pre-installed. Cannot change to 32 bit, as far as I know. I have tried Dosbox, and a couple of others...get the same message...need an update to make it compatible.

Thanks for the info....guess I am offline from playing until a Win 7 update is done......
YOu're going to need to install the XP emulator.

It's called XP mode and you can get it at the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx
Regards,
][avok

radi

Post#12 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:57 am

If the other alternatives don't fiddle, I think VirtualBox should give you a nice VirtualPC where you can install your old XP in so that you don't need a "DUAL"-Boot from the second drive which never was fine for me because it takes to long, to switch from one to the other.
But with virtual, you just have to start you're virtual-PC and Windows7 is still running.
Acceptable for me.

Good luck,
radi
Kind regards

Radi

Gilgamesh

Post#13 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:46 am

Is there any hope that Tim will make a 64 bit version available? Has anyone contacted him about this?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#14 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:58 am

Gilgamesh wrote:Is there any hope that Tim will make a 64 bit version available? Has anyone contacted him about this?
I wouldn't count on it.
Regards,
][avok

hennef

Post#15 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Havok wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:Is there any hope that Tim will make a 64 bit version available? Has anyone contacted him about this?
I wouldn't count on it.
will he ever finish version 4?

:D
have fun!

hennef

Return to “Scuttlebutt”