Windows 7 and VGAP

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Rogue1832

Re: Windows 7 and VGAP

Post#31 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:06 am

BitMask wrote:Host is not 32bit compatible yet. But PHost will work.

I created Testing scenarios and batch files that you can use for home/test games. See http://www.circus-maximus.com/forums/vi ... 32&p=61982
I ended up using Phost for about 22 turns. The 32 bit seems to work fairly well. The only MAJOR issue that I found was the buttons to cycle through the ships seem to skip ships. By using the up arrow, cycling through all of them, and then the down arrow and cycling through all ships I was able to "find" all of my ships. Hopefully this gets patched soon.

Otherwise it seems to work. The Auto Waypoint feature was nice in the original but it isn't absolutely necessary. All in all, I'm just happy to be ready to play... more or less!

Thanks Bitmask, really appreciate the work you guys are doing. =D>

PS Ghipsodal BMP causes the Winplan 32 bit to crash. I swapped it out for the original BMP and it stopped happening. Not sure if there are any other BMP's that may cause this issue.
--------------------------------------------

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#32 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:41 am

Rogue1832 wrote: I ended up using Phost for about 22 turns. The 32 bit seems to work fairly well. The only MAJOR issue that I found was the buttons to cycle through the ships seem to skip ships. By using the up arrow, cycling through all of them, and then the down arrow and cycling through all ships I was able to "find" all of my ships. Hopefully this gets patched soon.

Otherwise it seems to work. The Auto Waypoint feature was nice in the original but it isn't absolutely necessary. All in all, I'm just happy to be ready to play... more or less!

Thanks Bitmask, really appreciate the work you guys are doing. =D>

PS Ghipsodal BMP causes the Winplan 32 bit to crash. I swapped it out for the original BMP and it stopped happening. Not sure if there are any other BMP's that may cause this issue.
Using the keyboard to cycle did have the issue you describe, but it has been fixed in V3.6.44 and later. I suggest you use V3.6.45

I will check the Ghipsodal BMP. Thanks

Rogue1832

Post#33 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:28 am

I was having the issue with the most recent ver 3.6.45 and was using the up and down icons, not the keyboard. When i had 12 ships only ten would come up cycling through up, the missing two would appear when cycling through down. But at no time did all ships appear when cycling through in only direction (except initially when i only had 1-2 ships).
--------------------------------------------

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!

Kassengestell

Post#34 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:00 am

Rogue1832 wrote:
Zardoz wrote:Not certain if this is the right forum or not......But here is my issue.....
My home computer died, dead, caput.....had to break down and get a new one.
Problem - I could ONLY get Windows 7 as an operating system. Now I cannot install VGAP, says it is not compatible with the operating system, its to old, and needs an update from software manufacturer to install.
I have been to Tim's main website and cannot find anything for support.

Any suggestions? OR, Does anyone know a solution....detailed....not a computer whiz kid.....
I just started playing again and was having the same issue. I did find an installer that would run and install the dependencies at : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15143666/setup.exe and then downloaded the updated Winplan 32.exe from the 32 bit project link http://vgap.innernet.co.za/winplan/. Everything seems to work (except host.exe, which I was just playing with to setup a test environment to play with the new Client). I am going to look at some of the new host updates and see if I can get one of those to work.

You do need to dig up your old registration key, thankfully I was able to find mine in one of my PST email archives!
i have windows 7 64-bit on my pc. after installing planets with above mentioned setup.exe planets run with no problems. i didn't need to use anything from bitmaks site...?? :shock:
how is that working ?

bye
thomas
join the mobile infantry

Havok
Site Admin

Post#35 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:39 am

Both links are the 32bit version.

The Winplan 32bit version started off as available via dropbox only, and then the project moved over to Bitmasks site.
Regards,
][avok

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#36 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:13 am

The links from my site are the latest versions. The dropbox versions are older and we don't publish to there anymore.
But using the setup and then updating to the latest version from the website should work just fine as well.

Kassengestell

Post#37 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:44 am

BitMask wrote:The links from my site are the latest versions. The dropbox versions are older and we don't publish to there anymore.
But using the setup and then updating to the latest version from the website should work just fine as well.
hmmm, i ONLY used the setup and DID NOT update anything else. and nevertheless planets run on my 64-bit pc.
that's curious for me.

bye
thomas

edit says that i am happy about this fact !! :D
join the mobile infantry

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#38 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:28 am

Kassengestell wrote: hmmm, i ONLY used the setup and DID NOT update anything else. and nevertheless planets run on my 64-bit pc.
that's curious for me.
It should work, you just have less features than the newer versions =P~

Titus Pullo

Post#39 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:42 pm

After trying to get Winplan to work on my Windows 7 64 bit PC, I got frustrated.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#40 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Titus Pullo wrote:After trying to get Winplan to work on my Windows 7 64 bit PC, I got frustrated...
If you want to play VGA Planets on the Windows 7 64bit platform you need to use WinPlan 32bit which is currently being developed and will work with your current VGA Planets registration. You can download it and start using it right away.

Other options include using DosBox so that you prefer to play in say VPA you can load things right up via the DOS box and use your that client or several others.

Stefan's PCC and PCC2 both run in Windows 7 64bit with no problem.
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Scuttlebutt”