Windows 7 and VGAP

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

PsychoHawk

Post#16 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Let's hope v4 remains stillborn and he realizes his mistake of ever undertaking such a venture. He could instead revisit v3, his acclaimed creation, and give it a solid update such as a more recent client to run on newer operating systems.

streu

Post#17 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Is there any hope that Tim will make a 64 bit version available? Has anyone contacted him about this?
As I said, someone is trying to make Winplan 32-bit, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. My forecast: It's probably not hard to compile it, and the result will possibly even run, but it will be incompatible to everything that exists. That is, it will not be able to open existing RSTs. It will be a nightmare to fix that. Better use a client built with portability in mind from the ground up. That's JVC, JVPC, PCC2 and, I think, iClient.

--Stefan

Someone = Eriond at RCWorld. Web forums suck. They have lousy search functions. And lousy interconnections -- RCWorld had their "VGAP vs. Windows 7" thread in October.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#18 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:26 pm

I think development on iClient stopped some time ago. I haven't heard anything from them in a couple of years.
Regards,
][avok

Havok
Site Admin

Post#19 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:27 pm

PsychoHawk wrote:Let's hope v4 remains stillborn and he realizes his mistake of ever undertaking such a venture. He could instead revisit v3, his acclaimed creation, and give it a solid update such as a more recent client to run on newer operating systems.
If I remember correctly, development for v4 has stopped. There may be some other people working on it here and there in a bug fixing capacity, but Tim had stopped working on it.

Then again I could be completely wrong. :)
Regards,
][avok

Hawkeye

Post#20 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:09 pm

streu wrote: but it will be incompatible to everything that exists. That is, it will not be able to open existing RSTs.
Unless I'm missing something here... there's no reason why an updated version couldn't open existing RST's - it's all in the way you program it. At the end of the day the RST is simply a data file after all... :?

streu

Post#21 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:47 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
streu wrote: but it will be incompatible to everything that exists. That is, it will not be able to open existing RSTs.
Unless I'm missing something here... there's no reason why an updated version couldn't open existing RST's - it's all in the way you program it. At the end of the day the RST is simply a data file after all... :?
Of course it's all in the way you program it. Unfortunately I know how Winplan, host.exe etc. are programmed, and have reason to believe that a 32-bit compiler will turn that into something incompatible. Simple things, like "integer" being 16 bits in a 16 bit compiler, and 32 bits in a newer one. Or more complicated ones, like you have to emulate Microsoft's 16-bit math library if you want to give precise fuel predictions (if your client predicts the same fuel burn for a 2 ly move and a 3 ly move, it is correct. If it doesn't, it's wrong. That's because MS's library as used in host.exe and planets.exe computes INT(SQR(9)) to be 2, not 3.)

--Stefan

Cardno

Post#22 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Gee so much 'geekness' in this forum..... I'm impressed! Or could be if I knew what the hell any of you were saying...

I'm going to stick to my plants......

Hawkeye

Post#23 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:43 pm

hennef wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
hennef wrote:I am using JVC on a Win7 RC and it works nicely.

Btw i blocked your avatar-pic as it makes my eyes explode...
I kinda think his avatar pic matches his personality :P
like yours? :lol:
My avatar? Thats a photo of me on holiday in Columbia... :D

Raven2

Post#24 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:49 pm

radi wrote:If the other alternatives don't fiddle, I think VirtualBox should give you a nice VirtualPC where you can install your old XP in so that you don't need a "DUAL"-Boot from the second drive which never was fine for me because it takes to long, to switch from one to the other.
But with virtual, you just have to start you're virtual-PC and Windows7 is still running.
Acceptable for me.

Good luck,
radi
I ran into a similar problem when I bought a new 64-bit laptop pre-loaded with the 64-bit version of Vista. I installed VirtualBox and set up a virtual machine running 32-bit XP. It works great. Just launch VirtualBox from within your 64-bit operating system and run your older applications (like VGAP) from there.

http://www.sun.com/software/products/virtualbox/get.jsp
>>> Raven <<<

hennef

Post#25 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
hennef wrote:
Hawkeye wrote: I kinda think his avatar pic matches his personality :P
like yours? :lol:
My avatar? Thats a photo of me on holiday in Columbia... :D
That explains... so much... :D
have fun!

hennef

Zardoz

Re: Windows 7 and VGAP

Post#26 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:08 pm

Well over 2 years of trying to get it to work, I broke down, and bought an old laptop with XP, and finally get it up and running.

Guess what? I can find a flipping game to join!
Zardoz

"Look, we've got front row tickets to the end of the earth!"

Havok
Site Admin

Post#27 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 pm

"can" or "can't"...

There are 2 available now.
Regards,
][avok

Hawkeye

Post#28 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:17 am

Zardoz wrote:Well over 2 years of trying to get it to work, I broke down, and bought an old laptop with XP, and finally get it up and running.

Guess what? I can find a flipping game to join!

Errr... why not just run Win7 32-bit and Winplan? Works nicely :)

Rogue1832

Post#29 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:17 am

Zardoz wrote:Not certain if this is the right forum or not......But here is my issue.....
My home computer died, dead, caput.....had to break down and get a new one.
Problem - I could ONLY get Windows 7 as an operating system. Now I cannot install VGAP, says it is not compatible with the operating system, its to old, and needs an update from software manufacturer to install.
I have been to Tim's main website and cannot find anything for support.

Any suggestions? OR, Does anyone know a solution....detailed....not a computer whiz kid.....
I just started playing again and was having the same issue. I did find an installer that would run and install the dependencies at : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15143666/setup.exe and then downloaded the updated Winplan 32.exe from the 32 bit project link http://vgap.innernet.co.za/winplan/. Everything seems to work (except host.exe, which I was just playing with to setup a test environment to play with the new Client). I am going to look at some of the new host updates and see if I can get one of those to work.

You do need to dig up your old registration key, thankfully I was able to find mine in one of my PST email archives!
--------------------------------------------

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#30 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:48 am

Host is not 32bit compatible yet. But PHost will work.

I created Testing scenarios and batch files that you can use for home/test games. See http://www.circus-maximus.com/forums/vi ... 32&p=61982

Return to “Scuttlebutt”