NZ Earthquake

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

NZ Earthquake

Post#1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Just seeing this on the news and it looks pretty awful. I'm sure hoping everyone is safe down there....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#2 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:45 pm

Who's down there besides Hawkeye?
Regards,
][avok

Hawkeye

Post#3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:38 pm

I'm ok. smaller and shallower quake than before, but we've had fatalities in the city. havok could you please pause all my games just as a precautionary measure. cheers H.

Klauser

Post#4 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:38 pm

Hope all is well for our kiwi bretheren down under!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Havok
Site Admin

Post#5 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:44 am

Glad you're safe Hawkeye! The evening news said you had a 6.3 magnitude quake.
Regards,
][avok

Cardno

Post#6 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:48 am

65 fatalities so far - likely to rise quite considerably.

A number of people trapped in buildings.

A pretty bad situation all around.

PaladinCyborg

Post#7 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:33 am

Perhaps we should pause all games involving our friends in NZ.
Duis digrissim ipsum in rana unicornis!

Cardno

Post#8 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:08 pm

PaladinCyborg wrote:Perhaps we should pause all games involving our friends in NZ.
A nice thought Paladin. 70% of ChCh has no power, 12 hours after the quake hit, so Hawkeye's request for game pauses definitely required. I don't know of anyone else in ChCh playing on this site. Those outside of ChCh should be ok. I'm actually in Australia - just haven't updated my location data.

Gilgamesh

Post#9 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Hawk's turn is in for NF 83 so we can probably go ahead with tonight's turn, but after that maybe we should play it by ear.

Couldn't believe some of the video I was seeing on the news.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

akshamu

Post#10 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:17 pm

Cardno wrote:
PaladinCyborg wrote:Perhaps we should pause all games involving our friends in NZ.
A nice thought Paladin. 70% of ChCh has no power, 12 hours after the quake hit, so Hawkeye's request for game pauses definitely required. I don't know of anyone else in ChCh playing on this site. Those outside of ChCh should be ok. I'm actually in Australia - just haven't updated my location data.
I am glad to see our NZ friends survived ok....... Hopefully all of their friends and family in the area are ok as well.
An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before.

An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before

Havok
Site Admin

Post#11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Are their any other players in southern NZ other than Hawkeye?
Regards,
][avok

Hawkeye

Post#12 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Power is back on, however water isnt. I haven't been out around the city, but I understand there's a couple of buildings (one was about 7 stories high) that have completely collapsed with people inside. I'll try to get turns in for my last 2 remaining games this morning, so no need to pause anything just yet - I'll let you know if it turns out otherwise.

The street we live in has seen the road buckle, liquifaction is common, and as I understand it that's just the tip of the iceberg. Although this was only a 6.3, it was 5km deep, so has had a much larger impact than the previous one back in September.

Will post another update shortly.

H.

Gilgamesh

Post#13 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:40 pm

Just glad you're safe. Please stay that way!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#14 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Power is back on, however water isnt. I haven't been out around the city, but I understand there's a couple of buildings (one was about 7 stories high) that have completely collapsed with people inside. I'll try to get turns in for my last 2 remaining games this morning, so no need to pause anything just yet - I'll let you know if it turns out otherwise.

The street we live in has seen the road buckle, liquifaction is common, and as I understand it that's just the tip of the iceberg. Although this was only a 6.3, it was 5km deep, so has had a much larger impact than the previous one back in September.

Will post another update shortly.

H.
Glad to hear you and your family are safe. Email me directly if you need a pause I'll get the message faster that way. If you get a chance take some pix.
Regards,
][avok

Hawkeye

Post#15 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:40 pm

All turns are now in. Will take some pics and get them up shortly.

Return to “Scuttlebutt”