NZ Earthquake

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Kid Khan

Post#16 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:07 am

Havok wrote:If you get a chance take some pix.
Here are some pics from a German NewsMag: clicky

Glad to hear our guys down there are alright.

Is there anything we can do to help?

Hawkeye

Post#17 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:25 pm

I took some pics around the house, but we're just talking minor cracks compared to the pics in the link above. Without a doubt this quake has been far more destructive than the 7.1 we had last year. We're going to be loosing a large number of tall buildings in the central business district, either by them falling down themselves, or being pulled down. Our tallest building, the hotel Grand Chancellor, is on the brink of collapse.

Earthquake appeal: Any donations of money, fuel, and large warships are greatly appreciated at any of my starbases :)

Seriously though, right now everything that can be done is being done. Other countries have sent in rescue teams, and I imagine there will be some means of donating set up where you are.

Hawk

casebolt

Post#18 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:14 pm

From the Pics these are Solid buildings on solid ground, I noticed the same on the News reels. This was a massive Earth quake with deep movement of the Earths crust. My thoughts and prayers go out to all in NZ to locate and find the remaining ones needing to be rescued.

Shardin5

Post#19 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:17 pm

We have all sorts of people here, trying to get info from friends and relatives in the area. 1st 24hrs nobody from either McMurdo or from SA, could reach anybody, and there was a lots of stress here. Internet has been more useful than anything else for those trying to reach out.
Glad you guys are safe and sound, stay that way.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Hawkeye

Post#20 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:38 am

Here's a panoramic (scroll right) shot of the city taken moments after the quake struck. Note the dust clouds are from collapsed buildings.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#21 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:52 am

You know if it wasn't an earthquake I'd be looking for Godzilla or some UFO's.
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#22 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:45 am

Holy shit Batman......
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Shardin5

Post#23 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:16 pm

Wow,
Awesome picture. Did you take that one Hawk?
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Hawkeye

Post#24 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Shardin5 wrote:Wow,
Awesome picture. Did you take that one Hawk?
Can't lay claim to this one. The pics I took were of comparatively unimpressive small cracks around our property :)

I went for a drive around the city yesterday and helped out where I could. The devastation in some areas is amazing - roads with potholes big enough to swallow a car, houses with cracks running right up the walls, liquefaction everywhere, lamposts buckled in half, rubble where buildings used to stand, boulders the size of shipping containers fallen off cliff faces, collapsed chimneys, surface flooding etc

At the same time the outpouring of aid and support is equally as impressive - people with barbecues on the side of the road giving out free food, Caltex giving away free cooking gas, strangers turning up with wheelbarrows and shovels to clear liquefaction off properties, people opening their homes to others who have lost theirs, random acts of kindness and generosity, companies and individuals donating their time, equipment and resources to those in need etc. One thing's for sure - it's going to be a long road to recovery.

This is ace-reporter Hawkeye signing off from quake-central.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#25 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:40 pm

In the link that Kid Khan posted above there's a picture of some bent railroad tracks that just capture's the raw power of the earthquake. They're still flat on the ground, but they're bent and bowed. The power that it took to do that was just amazing.
Regards,
][avok

Cardno

Post#26 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:48 am

While the Quake was not a classically 'massive' quake according to the Richter scale, as Hawkeye said previously, the shallowness of the quake and it's very close proximity to ChCh has combined to make it what they are now referring to as a "one in 2500 year event".

Return to “Scuttlebutt”