Play VCR in VMware

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

Play VCR in VMware

Post#1 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:21 am

Hi.

I used the installer to install Play VCR in my VMware session on my new Win 7 machine. I have tried installing it into the default PCC directory that the installer suggests and also directly into my C:\Plan1 directory where my winplan.exe resides. I can't invoke Play VCR from winplan. If I go into the Plan1 directory and start Play VCR I can select a game and see the VCRs fine, but on my old broken-down machine Play VCR would open within the game when I hit the VCR tab.

Did I miss a step? Do I have to do something differently because it's under a VMware session?

Cheers

Jim
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

DarthHavoc2

Post#2 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:42 pm

Check to see if you have a VCR.CFG file in your C:/PLAN1 directory and that it contains the path to your PLAYVCR.EXE file. The line should look something like this:

playvcr=C:\Program Files\PlayVCR\playvcr.exe
"Space is a tough place where wimps eat flaming plasma death!"
- Armin Trott

Gilgamesh

Post#3 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:13 pm

Hmm - I have a WPVCR.DLL but pretty much everything in there looks encrypted. Should I put the line in there? I tried creating a VCR.DLL but that didn't seem to help.

I don't remember having to do this last time but then again, I'm old....

QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

streu

Post#4 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:49 am

Gilgamesh wrote:Hmm - I have a WPVCR.DLL but pretty much everything in there looks encrypted. Should I put the line in there? I tried creating a VCR.DLL but that didn't seem to help.

I don't remember having to do this last time but then again, I'm old...
If you're old, put on your glasses, so you see that DarthHavoc2 mentioned "vcr.cfg", not "wpvcr.dll" or "vcr.dll" :-D

If I understand you correctly, your problem is that PlayVCR does not start when you click the "VCR" button in Winplan. This feature depends on three things:
  • there must be a "winplan.exe" with about 140kByte, and a "winplano.exe" with about one megabyte. The latter is your actual Winplan, the former is PlayVCR's Winplan wrapper, which hooks PlayVCR into Winplan. If that's not the case, you either didn't enter the Winplan path during installation, or something (like Windows' folder protection) prevented my installer from setting it up this way.
  • the vcr.cfg file must be set up correctly. This is what DarthHavoc2 mentioned. However, I cannot imagine any possibility of this going wrong.
  • your Windows must actually allow "my" winplan.exe to work. Unfortunately, the only way to do what "my" winplan.exe is doing is to do the same thing evil phishing software does to phish your credit card numbers: it observes what you do with Tim's Winplan, and when you click the VCR button, it starts PlayVCR. I have not tried Windows 7 yet, but with all this security hullabaloo it's quite possible that either Windows or some security program you're using prevents it from working. Also see http://phost.de/~stefan/cc2/playvcr-faq.html question "My virus scanner/firewall claims winplan.exe to be infected by a virus / trojan horse / keyboard logger!".

--Stefan

Gilgamesh

Post#5 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:08 pm

Thanks. I tried to reinstall and made certain I was aiming for the folder as my winplan.exe. Same result, and I searched my computer and can't find a winplano.exe anywhere. Something's not going properly. I'm only selecting the Play VCR option in the installer, is there something else I should add?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

streu

Post#6 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:01 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Thanks. I tried to reinstall and made certain I was aiming for the folder as my winplan.exe. Same result, and I searched my computer and can't find a winplano.exe anywhere. Something's not going properly. I'm only selecting the Play VCR option in the installer, is there something else I should add?
I have just tried that (on a native XP), worked for me.
  • First screen, with Readme file, click next.
  • Second screen, uncheck everything but "Base Files" and "PlayVCR".
  • Third screen, enter any folder you wish (you can keep the default).
  • Fourth screen, enter the path to your Winplan installation. If you leave it empty, you will not get the Winplan integration. If you enter anything and there is no winplan.exe file, the installer will complain.
  • Fifth screen, if you have entered a Winplan directory, you can keep the default here, or you can even leave it empty, it just affects your starting directory when you call PlayVCR from the "Start" menu.
That's it.

For debugging, you could run the installer again, and when it is finished, click on the "View Details" button, right-click into the detail list, "Copy details to clipboard", and paste that into an email to <streu>. This listing will also tell you (and me) where the installer claims to have stored winplano.exe.

--Stefan

Footnote:
The installer tries to guess your Winplan directory (by combining directory names "games", "plan1", "spiele", "planets", "winplan"). If you tell me your directory name, I can make the heuristic a little smarter. But that only affects the default. When you enter a directory name, the integration should work.

Return to “Scuttlebutt”