VPA V3.64 beta 4 (new release)

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Quapla

VPA V3.64 beta 4 (new release)

Post#1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:09 pm

Pre-Release Version Beta 4.

You need this, if you:
· play Borg (enhanced chunelling)
· play with Unity-Addon (Unity featured added in client (i.e. AHP Jump, DAx-Codes, Merlin codes)
· need a calculator at your hand (ALT C ist calculator)
· feel unsafe with commands (more mistakes ovserved SHIFT-F10)
· sweep mines ouside the fields (more accurate calulations)
· play with PHOST and use anhanced merlin-codes
· play with Starbase+ and use the Transfer Money Feature

Feel free to download at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vpa/fil ... P/download

Any comments? Or enhancement? Send me an email.
Last edited by Quapla on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
...still playing VPA in a box...
latest VPA: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vpa/

James T. Plagerism

Post#2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks for all the recent work on VPA, it is appreciated!
(I found it amusing that my feature request for a calculator, which I requested on 2004-07-23, finally made it into VPA :D)

I do have one question: In the Common Mistakes, I now see
Used Addons:
No Unity
I'm not sure what to do about that?
I downloaded Unity v1.20a from Donovan's museum and unzipped it to my directory, but it didn't change anything.

Quapla

Post#3 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:35 pm

James T. Plagerism wrote:Thanks for all the recent work on VPA, it is appreciated!
(I found it amusing that my feature request for a calculator, which I requested on 2004-07-23, finally made it into VPA :D)

I do have one question: In the Common Mistakes, I now see
Used Addons:
No Unity
I'm not sure what to do about that?
I downloaded Unity v1.20a from Donovan's museum and unzipped it to my directory, but it didn't change anything.
Well at first thank you.

Did not know that it was your feature request :)= But it came handy for me aswell.

I just had a little bit of time, and wanted to try something very new. So i decided to write some added code to VPA.

1st: The calculator is very, very basic, but to calculate some mine stuff it will be OK.
2nd: Feature Unity Add-On.
a) At first you need a games which uses the Unity Addon :))
b) You do NOT need the Unity Addon at your site. It is a HOST Addon, for enhanced gameplay. It introduces some new rules and friendlycodes.
c) These rules are now displayed within VPA.
d) Use CTRL-U to switch on this feature.
e) i.e. there is a new jump with FC "AHP", which is 700LY. So with CTRL-H not only 350LY but also 700 LY will be displayed. Even movement will be handles correctly.
f) Main intention was a Borg-Game with Unity, which has a lot of confusing DA1-DA9-codes. The disassembling of Borg colonits is now calculated correctly.
3rd: There are some more mistakes checked. Even if you do not play with Unity-Addon. Borg Chunnelling. Minesweeping. Minelaying. Hyperjumping. Just to note only some added features.
4th: Chunnel tagets are displayed with a dotted line.
5th: Failed hyperjumps are displayed with a dotted line.
6th: Minesweep prediction with SH-F10 is more accurate.
7th: I keep the tradition not documentating all features of VPA :twisted: :roll:

Summary: Only usefull if your host uses Unity. Check CTRL-U for the change.

I keep on improving VPA with other Addons. Next steb will be Starbase+ with the money transfer of the bases.

Feel free to add requests or bugs here or within SF-net.

Quapla

Post#4 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:26 am

Additional notice:
Some players complained by PM that the settings (VPA.INI) cannot be saved using the CTRL-O command.

This is true. And it was never been able to.

I have checked the code - and yes - there seems to be problems at the INI-management. I can enable the saving - but it is very experimental, since this was part written by BBU.

Quapla

V3.64 beta4 release

Post#5 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:37 am

Get it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vpa/fil ... P/download

Whats new:
Version 3.64
+ Destination of chunnel is shown as a yellow dotted line
+ Chunnel-Check in SHIFT-F11 - Most common Mistakes
S-Chunnel -> Green: A (Firecloud) ship tries to perform a chunnel (has FC set)
No Start: -> Origin ship fails because of wrong own parameters (fuel/warp/tow etc.)
No End: -> destination ship(s) fail because of wrong parameters (fuel/warp/tow etc.)
Low Distance: -> Distance for Chunnel is to short (i.e. 100LY)
! Waypoint of ships with warp are shown as dotted lines
+ added support for Unity-Addon. Borg colonits prediction with Fcode DA? is shown correctly.
! Fixed a nasty bug that assimilation grow was not displayed on non-growning planets.
+ added support for Unity-Addon AHP-Jump
+ added support for Unity-Addon advanced Merlin
+ added Unity Advanced Jump in SHIFT-F11 - Most common Mistakes
+ added DA max disassemble in SHIFT-F11 - Most common Mistakes
+ added VPAADDON.INI to manage Addon-Functionality (CTRL-U)
+ permorming HYP/AHP Jumps are shown in different color, wrong Destinations are shown dotted
! Borg Self Repair valid only with Fuel
+ integrated Calculator! (ALT-C)
+ With SHIFT-F9 you can draw now amounts of units, too
+ Check sweep (msc) and mines (md?, mi?) within Most Common Mistakes
! MineSim Bugfixed, swept mines are shown now better
! Experimatal: CTRL-U allows writing of {FOLDER}\VPA.INI (requested by users)
+ Check Addon Starbase+ Money-Transfer, RMT and TM[1-5] Base-Codes within Common Mistakes SHFT-F11
Even Moneytranser from Settings are handled.

James T. Plagerism

Post#6 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:41 pm

I noticed some weird issues after modifying pconfig.src
Things like my homeworld reporting a max supported population of 8 clans, or a MDSF requiring ++++kt of fuel to go 1 turn jump to the next planet.

What makes it even weirder is if I quit and restart VPA, no change. BUT if I quit, overwrite VPA with a different version (doesn't matter which version really, whether v3.64b1, or v3.63), open that version of VPA and quit immediately, then overwrite VPA with v3.64b4 again, it works (in either version).

I speculate that VPA does some additional processing when it sees that the last savefile was written by another version of VPA, and this is what fixes the weird glitches?

Quapla

Post#7 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:40 am

Very strange. What exactly did you change at pconfig.src?

I know that VPA has now a (big?) problem with its memory management, i noticed some shut-downs due to a lack of memory.

Maybe we can search here - since i did not touch any of the problematic functions causing your problem.

Any other weird things?

James T. Plagerism

Post#8 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:56 am

Quapla wrote:Very strange. What exactly did you change at pconfig.src?
I can PM you my pconfig.src if you like, and/or the whole game config. I changed some race options, such as taxes and growth (they're supposed to be kept secret from my enemies, but I can PM you the details), although I was unable to (easily) isolate exactly what setting it was that broke it, because once it was broken, changing pconfig.src back never fixed it, but swapping VPA versions always fixed it.

I haven't noticed any issues with memory management.

James T. Plagerism

Post#9 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:28 am

I don't think the Planetary Simulator is correctly using the RaceGrowthRate option. VPA does use it correctly on the planet detail screen itself, but not in the Planetary Simulator (F6).

Quapla

Post#10 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:31 am

Yes, please send me the config. I will try to repeat the error.
Well, i noticed some crashed - althogh VPA works much better within a DOSBOX than under native Windows...
Hmm, i do not know function F6 - never used it. I just altered the planetary detail screen (adding the DAx-codes for unity). I will have a look, too.

James T. Plagerism

Post#11 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:41 am

Config sent.

I only use VPA in DOSbox (it won't run otherwise on 64-bit Win7).

James T. Plagerism

Post#12 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:20 pm

Another small bug report:

On the ship build screen, hull special abilities (cloaking, alchemy, etc) are normally shown in blue under the ship specs/description in the top left corner. But when showing the Next Turn resources (hotkey "n"), none of the hulls show their special abilities text.

edit: also posted to SF bugtracker.

Cannibal

VPA , JVC & Other Third Party Clients Recomendations

Post#13 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:37 am

Hey all, I've started playing VGA Planets again after 15 years or so. Not sence I shut down my BBS. I have been looking over the new game clients out there. Are JVC or VPA reliable enought to use? Are they any better than using WinPlan & EchoView. I like the looks of JVC, but havent heard much about it. I would like to hear from anybody who is or has used any 3rd party clients. WinPlan is allright, but it wont play on my Win 7 computer and there must be something better made in the last decade plus.
Thanks,
Cannibal

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#14 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:52 am

Hi Cannibal
Welcome back to the VGAP scene.
I have been using JVC exclusively for playing my turns for a number of year now. It is much better than Winplan from my perspective.

Look at this thread to a link to a recent players guide I did on JVC. viewtopic.php?t=4352

VPA is also a very reliable alternative and you can also look at PCC and PCC2.

James T. Plagerism

Post#15 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:09 am

I will vouch for VPA reliability. I can't comment on the other clients, because I haven't used anything but VPA for the last ~15 years or so.

Return to “Scuttlebutt”