New Ally game addon

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

JonnyDoH

Post#46 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:59 pm

By the way, since you mentioned Twilight Imperium...

See this?

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm.asp?eidm=64

:D
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

JonnyDoH

Post#47 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:36 pm

You know, after reading through the 3x3x3 team game posts, it seems to me that having pre-established alliances would be much more fair for everyone as well. You're already stuck with two other allies at the beginning of the game and you have more pairs of eyes watching the other people to make sure super alliances don't form.
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

Rimstalker

Post#48 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out. But we are playing without most of the shattered stuff, our games are already long enough without having to worry about things like leaders.

Boardgame diplomacy - imho - applies very little to planets, as the planets universe is far more stable than a Twilight Imperium board, and - at least in my group of people that are regulars - we know how far we can trust each other fairly well.

To get back to the 'old chums' topic: In AQ5, I had a nap with my Tholian neighbor, borders established and was attacking my other neighbor, Empire. Empire was going down, Tholian jumped in with a probe and started laying webs. I called him out on it, he started weaseling about not having violated our border, since the webmines were 600 lys away from the border and he had never agreed to it anyways.
After I posted the private message he had sent, where he had done exactly that, he just brushed it off. I started attacking him as well, and within 2 turns, the first fed (his other neighbor) battlegroup showed up on my scanners.

I even tried diplomacy then, asking feds to stay out of it, in turn guaranteeing him the borders he had with Tholians before, but i spite of

- the Tholians clearly breaking a written contract with a race in the game
- nothing for him to win in the war (I had massive minecover, every single planet within 300 lys of the border had a maxed out base, and I could lay boobytraps as Rebels)
- Tholians playing extremely poorly
- a Romulan/Lizard/Privateer alliance going after him

he still attacked me. Totally not Mackiavellian, don't you agree?
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

JonnyDoH

Post#49 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:21 pm

Rimstalker wrote: Boardgame diplomacy - imho - applies very little to planets, as the planets universe is far more stable than a Twilight Imperium board, and - at least in my group of people that are regulars - we know how far we can trust each other fairly well.
Lately I've been playing shorter duration strategic games-- more game for your time off. I beg to differ on your point though.

The TI affairs I played were epic battles of eight (and once, nine) players. They tended to be sixteen hour marathons and you could definitely see the | relationships > neighbor NAP's | coming to the fore. Diplomacy and giving up resources were a key in keeping certain alliances more binding.

In the nine player game we played with teams. I remember the team I started off with self destructed and we ended up falling on each other with fleet destruction and special cards. It was a lot of fun, though trying on our tempers in the heat of the moment. Again, diplomacy helped me survive in keeping the "coherent team" from finishing me off (mostly it was "Let me survive-- my only goal in this game is to finish off my backstabbing teammate").
Rimstalker wrote: To get back to the 'old chums' topic...
Again, I can't speak for your experiences. I only know what you and the other folks wrote on the forums. I can say you have my sympathy for the situation-- it seemed jacked up and unfair.

Still, I can't help but wonder if you could have contacted their neighbors and worked something out with their enemies. If someone comes to your doorstep and begins to flank you, what can you do to turn it around, consolidate and bring the attack to them?

That's just me brain farting. I'm not making light of your situation, I'm just talking possibilities. Was it a completely lose lose scenario for you? It reminds me of the Kobayashi Maru Scenario for Starfleet Command...

Rimstalker

Post#50 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:42 pm

I was actually declared the winner on the game :).

But your TI story just confirms mine: In TI, things shift very quickly, and if you are short one trade good to fulfill your secret objective, you will be fairly eager to please someone who has one to spare, such cliffhangers do not exist in the planets universe.

Tei

Post#51 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:16 pm

Rimstalker wrote:One of my favorite bands has turned that into a full album,

intro is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKGCk6uI1QY

another song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTuU4BpgVPs
Sounds a little like Attrition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9-wwzDs ... re=related

Rimstalker

Post#52 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:05 am

uhm no. Those two songs were just to show the sun tzu part. Here is what their music actually sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um_JH0fo7Wg

Return to “Scuttlebutt”