Hawkeye's Guide to the Birdmen

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

User avatar
Cardno
Posts: 3706
Contact:

Hawkeye's Guide to the Birdmen

Post#1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:28 pm

That's a pretty comprehensive and what I think (for a non-bird player) very good guide.

I've been thinking about playing the birds for a while now. I have in the past enjoyed playing the lizards, but I think the Birds are a cog up in the 'sneaky' department and this guide just confirmed that!

Good work and thanks for being prepared to share

User avatar
Hawkeye
Posts: 1029

Post#2 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks dude. Since writing it I've thought of another thing to add, so will probably update it from time to time as I discover new sneaky tricks :D

User avatar
BitMask
Site Admin
Posts: 2318
Contact:

Post#3 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:37 am

I assume I have to go look at the C-M home page now and not just jump into the forums directly...... :roll:

User avatar
BitMask
Site Admin
Posts: 2318
Contact:

Post#4 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:53 am

Nice Guide.
I like the dirty tips part 8)

User avatar
Rimstalker
Posts: 955
Contact:

Post#5 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:07 am

about the dirty tricks part: can anyone say for sure that lfm and mkt match for planet vs. ship combat? because in ship vs ship, they dont.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

User avatar
Klauser
Posts: 991

Post#6 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:11 am

Great guide - I liked that you explained how to play the race according to it's strengths/weaknesses. I also liked your ratings on each race as an ally/opponent.

Good stuff!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Gavan
Posts: 879

Post#7 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:38 am

Very well written Hawkeye.

I even learned a dirty trick or two.

Keep up the good work.
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

User avatar
Captain Blood
Posts: 294

Post#8 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:35 am

" Found yourself a freighter at a planet and want to take both out at the same time? Chances are the freighter will move on at the start of the next turn, however if you set your cloaker to tow the freighter 1 to 2 light years into the warp well at warp 9, chances are the freighter won’t break your tow (by having a waypoint greater than 81ly), and you’ll end up with both ships over the planet at the end of the movement phase. Set PE as appropriate and FC to NTP to avoid wasting torps (and capture the freighter of course). "

Think this need to be changed a little, because if you tow with any warpspeed higher than 1 into the warpwell. The ship towed will be sent back to the planet. From where it can fly to its destination same turn, if I remember correct.

So you need to tow the ship with warp 9 to any position not in warpwell. Alternatively tow with warp 1 if it is likely the enemy ship will not fly with a warpssped where it can breake a warp 1 tow.

You can not gain both the planet and the ship.
Regards,

Captain Blood

User avatar
Hawkeye
Posts: 1029

Post#9 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Captain Blood wrote:" Found yourself a freighter at a planet and want to take both out at the same time? Chances are the freighter will move on at the start of the next turn, however if you set your cloaker to tow the freighter 1 to 2 light years into the warp well at warp 9, chances are the freighter won’t break your tow (by having a waypoint greater than 81ly), and you’ll end up with both ships over the planet at the end of the movement phase. Set PE as appropriate and FC to NTP to avoid wasting torps (and capture the freighter of course). "

Think this need to be changed a little, because if you tow with any warpspeed higher than 1 into the warpwell. The ship towed will be sent back to the planet. From where it can fly to its destination same turn, if I remember correct.

So you need to tow the ship with warp 9 to any position not in warpwell. Alternatively tow with warp 1 if it is likely the enemy ship will not fly with a warpssped where it can breake a warp 1 tow.

You can not gain both the planet and the ship.

Actually.....no. Donovan's site states:

Ships that are towed have their warpspeed set to zero, and their waypoint reset.

I've just run a few sims on this and the guide is correct - if the tow is successful, the towed ship indeed gets its warp and waypoint reset.

It's interesting to note that if the freighter's waypoint is less than 81LY away, flying the freighter off at a higher warp than the tower will still not save it from getting towed.

The only countermeasures available to the freighter owner are:

A) Freighter has warp equal to or greater than tower AND waypoint is greater than 81LY away AND freighter has more than one engine AND freighter has more than 25kt of fuel onboard

B) Someone else tows the freighter before you do (using lower ID ship), or after you arrive back at the planet (higher ID ship)

C) An enemy ship arrives at said planet the same turn and destroys your tower before it can attack the freighter

D) Freighter cloaks. It will still get towed and have its waypoint reset, however it won't be attacked by the tower


Hawk.

User avatar
Captain Blood
Posts: 294

Post#10 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:26 pm

You are right Hawkey and I am wrong, don´t know what I was thinking or perhaps I was not thinking at all. :oops:
Regards,

Captain Blood

User avatar
Hawkeye
Posts: 1029

Post#11 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:03 am

Captain Blood wrote:You are right Hawkey and I am wrong, don´t know what I was thinking or perhaps I was not thinking at all. :oops:
You know you actually had ME thinking for a second that I'd have to update the guide :D

Your post has actually reminded me of another sneaky tip which I'll add to the guide at a later date, so cheers for that
:cheers:

User avatar
PaladinCyborg
Posts: 374

Post#12 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:30 am

Good work, Hawkeye
Duis digrissim ipsum in rana unicornis!

User avatar
wasp
Posts: 424

Post#13 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:48 am

In the part of laying mines in another player identity, you say to lay mines in crystal identity to increase the size of the web.

Are you sure the mines layed will be webs?
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

User avatar
rockford
Posts: 96

Post#14 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:53 am

Hawkeye wrote: D) Freighter cloaks. It will still get towed and have its waypoint reset, however it won't be attacked by the tower
Hawk.
If the freighter cloaks will it still be towed text turn or will it be free of the cloak?
Retirement: There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.

User avatar
albatross
Posts: 412
Contact:

Post#15 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:08 pm

rockford wrote:
Hawkeye wrote: D) Freighter cloaks. It will still get towed and have its waypoint reset, however it won't be attacked by the tower
Hawk.
If the freighter cloaks will it still be towed text turn or will it be free of the cloak?
Unless none of the break free rules applies, the freighter will be towed as the tow lock happens before cloak. It will be cloaked though next turn.

Return to “Scuttlebutt”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron