What's your odd in-game planet stat of the day?

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Supernagz

What's your odd in-game planet stat of the day?

Post#1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:37 pm

I struggled with how to word it... but basically what is your oddest (good or bad) in game stat with regards to the random elements of planets... primarily natives... in the game.

Examples... in my last game... G241... I played Rebels. I had 82 planets when the game was called at 55 turns. I had yet to find a single Giphsoldal planet... as much as I wanted one for super cheapo Falcon's.

But the VGA Gods pay me back in my latest game, where on turn 11, I have only 12 planets, but already 3 of them are Giphsoldals... including one found on turn 2... quite useful for the Privs when I can build an instant TW base on turn 5.

So that's my example... what's your horror story of the day? What's the worst bad luck starting planets you have found yourself with? Most planets colonized without a single native? Two games ago I played Borg... I think I only had a single native planet in my first like 15 starting planets... and it was a boiling rock, so boy did those assimilated clans die quick...

How about the miracle turn 2 first planet? Unity high pop insect, or bovi? I'm still waiting for one of those! :)

I imagine all other things being equal (skill level etc.) the random chance of your first handful of planets must be so darn critical.

I always swear I have the worst luck... but I'm sure some of it is just whining :)

Gilgamesh

Post#2 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:53 am

Not in my current games, but as the Klingon I went most of one game with no amorphs to pop. I actually posted to see if anyone else had found any. I was beginning to think ][avok had configed them out of the game.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Rimstalker

Post#3 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:29 am

In a game at RCworld with

Native Information

Total Native Population : 11774779
Native Inhabited Planets : 283 56.6%
Total Avg Natives Per Planet : 23549
Avg Natives Per Native Inhabited Planet : 41606

I managed to find natives on like 14 out of 40 planets, and 8 of those were Amorphs.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

albatross

Re: What's your odd in-game planet stat of the day?

Post#4 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 pm

First game after years as Rebs, hell, I was so eager to build some huge fleet of Rushes, then first turn comes in.. :omg: I see myself placed in the middle of the map without sphere. Later, while Crystals start chewing up my borders I realize that in a radius of 160 ly the highest moly in ground was 2k with skittish 10% density (normal game). Brrr.. pure horror on each and every turn.

Edit:
Supernagz wrote:How about the miracle turn 2 first planet? Unity high pop insect, or bovi? I'm still waiting for one of those! :)
In a game as Robot, still running, first world I visit is a 5mil Bovie unity and mineral rich planet.. bam!. Then, the second one is Ghipsoldal and gifted with about 6k minerals in total (also mineral normal game).

streu

Post#5 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:31 pm

Something completely different: I don't know whether it has been changed in more recent versions of HOST, but I have observed my favourite random planets stat in HOST 3.22.20: The majority of all meteors have precisely
7050 kt Neutronium
2348 kt Duranium
4986 kt Tritanium
4703 kt Molybdenum

--Stefan

Donovan

Post#6 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Nice example of a current game I'm in -so I won't say the name- where you start with six planets already under your control :roll:

Next to the homeworld:
8.9 representative insects, temp 87
4.2 pre-tribal Avians, temp 59

Also within 81 lightyears:
2 million participatory humans, temp 63
2.1 million Bovinoids, temp 86
7 million particpatory Bovinoids, temp 61 :woot:

This was my first game after several years of not playing. It felt like a very warm welcome back...

And what do I find at turn 3: 7 million Fuedal Bovinoids on a temp 33 planet, one hop from the homeworld.

Looking back, I actually under-used the insecst because I had a thing about not wanting to let my clans die from the temperature. I'm over that now - shipping them out by boatloads to let them collect taxes and die.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#7 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 am

streu wrote:Something completely different: I don't know whether it has been changed in more recent versions of HOST, but I have observed my favourite random planets stat in HOST 3.22.20: The majority of all meteors have precisely
7050 kt Neutronium
2348 kt Duranium
4986 kt Tritanium
4703 kt Molybdenum

--Stefan
Now that is interesting. I wonder if it is hard coded or as a result of the not so great Rand() function in VB5/6?

streu

Post#8 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:42 pm

BitMask wrote:
streu wrote:Something completely different: I don't know whether it has been changed in more recent versions of HOST, but I have observed my favourite random planets stat in HOST 3.22.20: The majority of all meteors have precisely
7050 kt Neutronium
2348 kt Duranium
4986 kt Tritanium
4703 kt Molybdenum
Now that is interesting. I wonder if it is hard coded or as a result of the not so great Rand() function in VB5/6?
VB1, please. HOST is written in Microsoft PDS BASIC, which is the same compiler as Visual Basic 1.0 for MS-DOS. :-)

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like HOST uses the BASIC random number generator (which is not too bad) to decide which planets get hit, and the VCR random number generator (which is pretty simple) to figure out the minerals. I have just checked HOST 3.22.046, where this only applies when you set "Number of large meteorites impacting" to at least (not: more than) one, which is why this effect is little known - most people set that to zero, but my school's players usually wanted it higher for some extra thrill.

--Stefan

Edit: fixed relational operator
Last edited by streu on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#9 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:24 am

:shock:

Aelg

Post#10 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:44 am

Best planet I have found until today (and probably ever will):

55 degrees
7M Avians 180%

5k Ne, density 31
2.5k Tr, density 40
10k Du, density 42
10k Mo, density 55

No "killer densities", but the overall mineral production was still impressive. Sadly, I found that one after the ship limit was hit.
Aelg: You beamed that 10,000 megacredits down to a worthless lump of rock.
H2R: It isn't worthless anymore.

Return to “Scuttlebutt”