Which Operating System do you use?

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: Which OS do you use to play VGAP?

Windows 16bit (Win95/Win98)
0
No votes
Windows 32bit (Win2000/WinXP/Vista/Win7)
11
55%
Windows 64bit (WinXP64/Vista64/Win7)
7
35%
Mac OSX
1
5%
Ubuntu/Debian
1
5%
Fedora
0
No votes
Linux (other)
0
No votes
Total votes: 20

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#16 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:27 pm

Rimstalker wrote:no.

Im beta-testing a 32 bit version of Wiplan over at RCWorld.
Ahhh, thanks.

How is the 32bit version working out so far?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
Rimstalker
Posts: 955
Contact:

Post#17 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:00 pm

they started adding features, and generally disturbing the layout, which kind of really pissed me off, then they decided to have a stable build that is basically 100% winplan, just for 32 bit, and a test version, where they play around with, and add things like happiness change calculation and mining forecast.

Things were quite buggy at the beginning, but the 32 bit version I have on my Laptop now is quite good, apart from maybe one random crash every third turn or so.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#18 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Could you keep us updated on the test?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#19 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 am

The author of winplan 32 came here a while back and asked if he could talk about it on the forums, etc... I told him to sign up and never heard from him again.
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
BitMask
Site Admin
Posts: 2318
Contact:

Post#20 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:55 am

Looks like Win32 is the most used with some Ubuntu/Linux and OSX in there as well...

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4938
Contact:

Post#21 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:15 am

Cherek wrote:Could you keep us updated on the test?
I'd be very interested. If it ever gets stable, I'm in.....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#22 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:59 am

I'll be sticking with VPA.
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
Fexer
Posts: 143

Re: Which Operating System do you use?

Post#23 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:57 pm

I'm using VPA running on DOS-Box only.
DOS-Box runs pretty well on all of my OSes, which are:

- MAC OS X (Lion)
- WIN 7
- WIN XP

I never used WINPLAN seriously and I never will.

User avatar
Jammin
Posts: 26

Post#24 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:03 am

I use VPA all the time. Run it natively on my XP machine and use DOS-Box on the Vista/Win7 machines.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

User avatar
Boronos
Posts: 124

Post#25 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:23 pm

Using Winplan & Echoview on XP.

Will probably make the move to Win 7- 64 over christmas.... just in case it goes badly :lol:

traveler25
Posts: 8

Post#26 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:39 am

Win XP, rules!

User avatar
Cannibal
Posts: 73

Post#27 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:29 am

Gilgamesh wrote:I'm actually using Windows XP within a virtual machine in Win 7. A bit of a pain, I'd love it if Tim would release a Win 7 compatible Winplan....
Yea, Right...I recently bought a new registration of WinPlan a couple months ago. When I found out that it was incompatable I wrote a E-Mail to T.W. saying as much. He just gave me a reg code for VGAP 4...He has is through with VGAP 3. He should just make it shareware so someone can make an opensource version compatable with Win7.

c

User avatar
streu
Posts: 232
Contact:

Post#28 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:37 am

Cannibal wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:I'm actually using Windows XP within a virtual machine in Win 7. A bit of a pain, I'd love it if Tim would release a Win 7 compatible Winplan....
Yea, Right...I recently bought a new registration of WinPlan a couple months ago. When I found out that it was incompatable I wrote a E-Mail to T.W. saying as much. He just gave me a reg code for VGAP 4...He has is through with VGAP 3. He should just make it shareware so someone can make an opensource version compatable with Win7.
There is another theory which states that this already happened.

VGAP3 is shareware. Which means you have to buy it. This makes it problematic for open-source people to announce "full" VGAP solutions.

There are several open-source versions compatible with Win7, my PCC2 probably being the most complete one, but there's also the Java guys. For the host side, there's PHost.


--Stefan

User avatar
Cannibal
Posts: 73

Post#29 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:17 pm

streu wrote: There is another theory which states that this already happened.

VGAP3 is shareware. Which means you have to buy it. This makes it problematic for open-source people to announce "full" VGAP solutions.

There are several open-source versions compatible with Win7, my PCC2 probably being the most complete one, but there's also the Java guys. For the host side, there's PHost.


--Stefan
I ment un-restricted shareware, you still have to buy the ancient, unimproved 'ware to play it without the restrictions I dont have to list here. What would have to happen to allow open source coders to make a full version that does not rely on having to buy and have WinPlan/DosPlan?

Oh and as for the "most complete one" JVC is superior, but that topic is for another thread :)

c

User avatar
streu
Posts: 232
Contact:

Post#30 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:14 pm

Cannibal wrote:
streu wrote: There is another theory which states that this already happened.

VGAP3 is shareware. Which means you have to buy it. This makes it problematic for open-source people to announce "full" VGAP solutions.

There are several open-source versions compatible with Win7, my PCC2 probably being the most complete one, but there's also the Java guys. For the host side, there's PHost.
I ment un-restricted shareware, you still have to buy the ancient, unimproved 'ware to play it without the restrictions I dont have to list here. What would have to happen to allow open source coders to make a full version that does not rely on having to buy and have WinPlan/DosPlan?
That you'd have to ask Tim. So far, the unwritten law is that the third-party programs all honor Tim's registration, even if many players play without having any of Tim's programs in their game cycle.

But, now with self-proclaimed VGA Planets successor browser game mushrooming, it'd probably be time to free old VGAP 3.0.


--Stefan

Return to “Scuttlebutt”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron