Cyclone Irene

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cardno

Cyclone Irene

Post#1 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:21 am

How are you doing over there ][avok?

Cardno

Post#2 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:37 am

ok I forgot - you call them Hurricanes in the Northern Hemisphere.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#3 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:24 pm

So far it's a non-event... lots of wind and rain... nothing special... Troll is up and running!
Regards,
][avok

Logain

Post#4 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Over 5 inches (13 cm) of rain so far in northern Virginia Beach. Eye of the storm won't get here for another 6-7 hours so we'll get a bunch more rain before it's over.

Sent my family inland to Richmond, Virginia since I wasn't sure I'd make it back from my Korean business trip. I'm sitting in Virginia Beach watching the hurricane blow by... My family is sitting in a hotel in Richmond with no power, no AC, no TV...

Havok
Site Admin

Post#5 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:44 pm

I'm out in Va Beach myself staying a Mom's to take care of stuff if needed... Just had a frozen pizza and am considering a nap.. :)
Regards,
][avok

Havok
Site Admin

Post#6 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:58 pm

The power appears to be out at home. I was going to remote into the server and get NF94 started and I don't see any of the home computers online. So either the power is out of the internet is down... damn storm...
Regards,
][avok

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Power is back on and so is the Troll.
Regards,
][avok

Cardno

Post#8 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:35 pm

All the best to everyone who finds themselves in Irene's path......

FLETCH

Post#9 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:05 pm

Here I sit in New York City waiting for a tropical storm to hit. Not what I expected to be doing whilst here...

The city are taking this very seriously ordering the evacuation of many areas. Looks like we are in a relatively safe area (5th Ave and 31st Street) but all public transport has been shut down since noon. It has been raining on and off most of the day but nothing heavy and no real wind to speak of yet. They are predicting power outages, I will post more later if able to.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Cardno

Post#10 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:11 pm

FLETCH wrote:Here I sit in New York City waiting for a tropical storm to hit. Not what I expected to be doing whilst here...

The city are taking this very seriously ordering the evacuation of many areas. Looks like we are in a relatively safe area (5th Ave and 31st Street) but all public transport has been shut down since noon. It has been raining on and off most of the day but nothing heavy and no real wind to speak of yet. They are predicting power outages, I will post more later if able to.
I'm sorry your big trip has been impacted Fletch - but look on the bright side - the Wallabies beat the All Blacks last night 25 - 20 to take out the Tri Nations for the first time in 10 years.

FLETCH

Post#11 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Not a big impact on my trip really, just a bit of excitement thrown in. There are 17000 law enforcement and emergency services personell in NYC for the games at the moment. If things go really bad we are all prepared to jump in and help out where we can.

As for the Wallabies... I wasn't going to rub it in so soon after the event but seeing as you brought it up...

Naah to easy.

I am glad to see they are coming into some sort of form leading into the World Cup. Maybe we'll actually have a decent showing in NZ later this year.
FLETCH

Gilgamesh

Post#12 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Cardno wrote:All the best to everyone who finds themselves in Irene's path......
What he said. Stay safe folks....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#13 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:49 pm

FLETCH wrote:Not a big impact on my trip really, just a bit of excitement thrown in. There are 17000 law enforcement and emergency services personell in NYC for the games at the moment. If things go really bad we are all prepared to jump in and help out where we can.

As for the Wallabies... I wasn't going to rub it in so soon after the event but seeing as you brought it up...

Naah to easy.

I am glad to see they are coming into some sort of form leading into the World Cup. Maybe we'll actually have a decent showing in NZ later this year.
This storm is a joke. The media is really blowing it out of proportion...
Regards,
][avok

Gavan

Post#14 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:17 am

Havok wrote: This storm is a joke. The media is really blowing it out of proportion...
Good to hear it is not as serious as being reported as even the media here in Oz is spending a great deal of time on it. (via the US media)
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

FLETCH

Post#15 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Just to indicate how serious the storm turned out to be, check out this...

http://mobile.gothamist.com/2011/08/28/ ... p_n_sl.php

Hey Cardno, maybe the All Blacks could have won this one.... no maybe not. 8)
FLETCH

Return to “Scuttlebutt”