We're Back

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Havok
Site Admin

We're Back

Post#1 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:14 pm

What a week. Here's a little history to get us started. I'm a silent partner with a small web hosting company called Autumn Networks and all of my sites are run off those servers. For the last couple of years some of our servers, which is our hardware not rented space on their equipment, have been hosted in a co-location center run by a company called SingleHop. Our little company is growing steadily and we decided we needed some new hardware a couple of months ago. SingleHop offered us a sweet deal on a new box, quad processors, 3 TB of space and so on. Faster, better, more room, you get the picture. About 6 weeks ago we moved the contents of our 'Chicago' server onto this new server which we named Halo. About 600 web sites in all. That's when the problems began.

Long story short, the new server wasn't working out in a big way. We evently decided to have our content restored to the original server Chicago. We contracted SingleHop to migrate the contents of the Halo server back to the server named Chicago. They were given specific instructions for the transfer and they were ignored entirely. When this process started several nights ago, the idiot that did the transfer copied everything back to the original server, and put all the web sites under 1 shared IP address. Then he erased all of the DNS cluster info, etc... Out of the 600 web sites over 200 of them have dedicated IP's... almost all the sites have custom DNS records, the works... Wiped Out!!! To make matters worse the corporate folks at SingleHop has had a lackadaisical attitude about the entire event. After lots of phone calls and countless emails we have a couple of tech's there dedicated to getting us back to where we should be. The dedicated tech's have done a great job restoring us, but SingleHop as an entity has really dropped the ball.

Soooo, we're leaving SingleHop. I don't know where we're going yet or when, but it's going to happen sooner rather than later. I'll do my best to give everyone as much notice as possible and hopefully our next transfer will be simpler than the last two.

In other news, while offline the forums have been upgraded to PHPBB3. Those of you who have been here for a while will remember that we previously upgraded to PHPBB3 for about 2-3 months back in 2006 I think it was. Corruption of the forums during an upgrade forced me to restore the PHPBB2 forums you're used to. We're giving it another try. PHPBB3 is much more mature now and more secure. We still have some tweaking to do with the code for the "Last 10 Topic's" on the homepage. However you can access the forums on the normal link, all user data and content has been migrated. Thanks to Bitmask for that! He also updated the template of PHPBB3 to make it look as much like the old forums as possible. Two thumbs up!

The FTP section is working again. That means all downloads!

Regarding AutoTroll. I want to give everyone a chance to resend their turn. I'm going to leave AutoTroll off a little bit longer and plan to restart it on Sunday afternoon. Please get your turns in ASAP! If you're unsure of whether or not you sent your turn before the trouble started, open up your mail program, or SendTrnPro and send it.

Thanks again for your patience while this was going on. - ][avok

Gilgamesh

Re: We're Back

Post#2 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Sounds like a Grade "A" hassle. Thanks for hanging in there for us!

Now - how do I get my old avatar back on this new forum?????

Oh - nevermind - there is is....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

FLETCH

Post#3 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:50 am

Thanks for persevering guys.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Cannibal

Post#4 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:03 am

Wow, what a pain in the ass. And having to deal with tech support, a nightmare. But ya got the site up quick and even managed to upgrade the forums. Thanks for the effort to keep the site up just so us knuckle-heads can blast each other into space debris.

Cannibal

Cardno

Post#5 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:54 am

Looking forward to the games being online again - got me some withdrawl!

Cherek

Post#6 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:02 am

Cannibal wrote:Wow, what a pain in the ass. And having to deal with tech support, a nightmare. But ya got the site up quick and even managed to upgrade the forums. Thanks for the effort to keep the site up just so us knuckle-heads can blast each other into space debris.

Cannibal
In sounds like on move back, the tech support was good, the trouble was the suit and tie types

Glad to hear that everything on the business side and Circus-Maximus are up and running.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Gilgamesh

Post#7 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:23 am

I GOT MY FIRST RST!!!!!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Donovan

Post#8 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:I GOT MY FIRST RST!!!!!
Ah yes, that special moment in any boy's life....

On topic: thanks again to Havok and Bitmask for seeing this thing through, especially so soon after the troll's meltdown. To go through all this and actually come out with an upgraded site, says a lot about these guys.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#9 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:32 am

Donovan wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:I GOT MY FIRST RST!!!!!
Ah yes, that special moment in any boy's life....

On topic: thanks again to Havok and Bitmask for seeing this thing through, especially so soon after the troll's meltdown. To go through all this and actually come out with an upgraded site, says a lot about these guys.
We do what we can to keep the game alive right :)
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#10 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:51 am

"Special moment in any boy's life"???? Did anyone tell Donovan how old I am?

Fully agree though - you guys have shown what the term "above and beyond" really means.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Return to “Scuttlebutt”