Salutations!

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Seedling

Salutations!

Post#1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:03 am

Just joined your little circus, so I thought it would be nice to introduce myself.

I'm not exactly a new player, but last time I played must have been over a decade ago, when Spaceport Hamburg still existed, so I'm gonna be a bit rusty for a while ;D

When I was still active, I wrote a little addon called Rise of the Natives, but I doubt anyone recalls that. Also made the starmap for the Star Control II addon.

Recent excavations in my very local neighbourhood unearthed some of my original VGAP WinPlan disks, and the retro bug struck again.

And now.. you foolishly let me enter your little community. There will be weeping of widows in the near future! :twisted:

BitMask
Site Admin

Re: Salutations!

Post#2 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:29 am

Welcome Seedling. Hope you enjoy the site.
If you feel a bit rusty, I suggest you look through the documents under the Strategy section. You will find it very useful.

Seedling

Post#3 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:22 am

I've been reading the docs, yes.
So it's probably best if I join Brass Tacks 9 then? Looks like it's pretty much NoFrills but with another host program.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#4 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:26 am

BT9 is a No Frills PHost game.
As a rule new players (Space Cadets) can only join No Frills or Brass Tacks games.
As soon as you move up in the ranks you can join the other games as well.

Gilgamesh

Post#5 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:59 am

Welcome Seedling! You're going to have fun here!

Gil
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

PaladinCyborg

Post#6 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:11 am

Welcome Seedling.
Duis digrissim ipsum in rana unicornis!

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:51 pm

Seedling wrote:Just joined your little circus, so I thought it would be nice to introduce myself.

I'm not exactly a new player, but last time I played must have been over a decade ago, when Spaceport Hamburg still existed, so I'm gonna be a bit rusty for a while ;D

When I was still active, I wrote a little addon called Rise of the Natives, but I doubt anyone recalls that. Also made the starmap for the Star Control II addon.

Recent excavations in my very local neighbourhood unearthed some of my original VGAP WinPlan disks, and the retro bug struck again.

And now.. you foolishly let me enter your little community. There will be weeping of widows in the near future! :twisted:

Welcome. You'll find some former Spaceport Hamburg players here like Rimstalker and Darth Havoc.

BTW, if you would send me a copy of your addon. I'll make sure it ends up in the FTP site.
Regards,
][avok

Seedling

Post#8 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:20 pm

I'll see if I can track it down. (Managed to find the actual name, "Return to the Natives" or RTTN.) But other then being mentioned on http://www.donovansvgap.com/people/armin.htm, it's a dead end on the web. It might have survived somewhere on a CD or old HD I got stored, but that's gonna be a big search.

Seedling

Post#9 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:53 pm

Two questions:
1. Could you add some info to the Beginner's FAQ (or a readme.txt in the first zip file send when joining a game) about what to do with additional files that are send along with .rst files? For long time returning players or brand new players, it's not immediately clear you need to unpack PlayerFiles.zip into the VPWORK* folder as well as copy the UTIL*.DAT file there. I actually had to do some digging with Google to figure it out.
2. Are players notified by email when new games are starting? In particular those not in any games right now? (5 free spots in my first game, and I'm anxious to start ;)

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#10 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:28 am

1. Might be a good idea. At least we should make a sticky post in the forum. It is well covered in the forum, but as you say, you do have to search for it.

2. We try not to spam players with mail, so mail is not sent out with each new game as there is always a game starting. We do send mail every once in a while when there are a few games open. Last mail was sent about 2 weeks ago.

Return to “Scuttlebutt”