Some VGA Planets questions...

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

JonnyDoH

Some VGA Planets questions...

Post#1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:11 pm

Hey all, I'm working to install VGA Planets on a new computer, but I ran into some questions that made me pause-- I'm hoping the community can provide some answers...

1. Does VGA Planets run on Windows 7, provided that copy is Windows 7 32 bit? I know it doesn't run under Windows 64 bit OS, but if it works under 32 bit, great! I know it doesn't install-- but what if I simply transfer the files?

2. I seemed to have lost my original install disk. Can I simply copy over my PLAN1 folder to another computer, or do I need some hidden files that may have been installed elsewhere (to avoid the dreaded "YOU ARE CHEATING!" mineral dump explosions)?

Thanks in advance, guys!
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

Rimstalker

Re: Some VGA Planets questions...

Post#2 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:23 pm

you need the 32 bit port of Winplan from Hauke Stenzel for Win7 and 64 bit. It has some minor glitches, but it is usable.

you would not get a mineral dump explosion, that only happens for tampered files, of for two players using the same reg code in the same game. You'd have a shareware version of planets.

I did not succeed in transferring my reg files from a vista computer to my windows 7 one, as Hauke's installer honors Tim's reg code check. You don't need the files, but you need your reg code, that was printed on the first disk.

In general however, Tim is pretty good in sending replacement keys, at least from what I read.

edit: rereading that: I'm pretty sure Win7 is incompatible with the original Winplan, even on 32 bit.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Gavan

Post#3 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:06 pm

JonnyDoH wrote: 1. Does VGA Planets run on Windows 7, provided that copy is Windows 7 32 bit? I know it doesn't run under Windows 64 bit OS, but if it works under 32 bit, great! I know it doesn't install-- but what if I simply transfer the files?
Yes It will run on Windows 7 32-bit. (That is how I do it)
JonnyDoH wrote: 2. I seemed to have lost my original install disk. Can I simply copy over my PLAN1 folder to another computer, or do I need some hidden files that may have been installed elsewhere (to avoid the dreaded "YOU ARE CHEATING!" mineral dump explosions)?
On the new computer I install the shareware version of winplan (it will copy all of the required files to everywhere they need to go.) Once it is installed I delete the c:\plan1 folder and the copy over my registered version c:\plan1 from the old computer to the new computer.

After that I am good to go.
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

JonnyDoH

Post#4 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks, Gavan and Rimstalker! I appreciate the info.
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#5 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:21 am

I normally just copy the folder to the new PC (Win 7 32bit does work), but you might need the VB support files and extract that to c:\windows\system\ or c:\windows\system32\
That is what the shareware installer does for you.

With regards to Winplan 32bit, Hauke has left the project more than a year ago because of personal reasons, but work still continue by Ronald van Maanen and myself. The last release fixed all issues and we are currently busy with new features. You can find the latest download here

Return to “Scuttlebutt”