New old player question

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Rowie007

New old player question

Post#1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi there, I'm a new but old player sticking his nose in, just a quick question...

There seems to be a few hosts / clients these days - THOST, PHOST, nuHost, the new WIN32 and JVC.

Back in my day it was THOST and VPA, I've also used Echoview.

Can someone please give me a simple overview of the differences between the various hosts and clients to help me decide which ones to use? Also, have any of these hosts / clients overcome the 500 ship limit?

Rowie

Havok
Site Admin

Re: New old player question

Post#2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Rowie007 wrote:Hi there, I'm a new but old player sticking his nose in, just a quick question...

There seems to be a few hosts / clients these days - THOST, PHOST, nuHost, the new WIN32 and JVC.

Back in my day it was THOST and VPA, I've also used Echoview.

Can someone please give me a simple overview of the differences between the various hosts and clients to help me decide which ones to use? Also, have any of these hosts / clients overcome the 500 ship limit?

Rowie
Welcome to the site Rowie. I find many of the clients are half finished and the authors have moved on. You can preview some of the clients from our download link here: http://www.circus-maximus.com/dl-pc.htm

The "nu" isn't so new. It's a web based clone that masquerades as VGA Planets but it's not the same.

VPA is still my personal favorite. Many people are also trying out the new 32bit version of Winplan for Windows 7. Another favorite is PCC which you can find at the following link. http://phost.de/~stefan/pcc.html It looks a lot like Tim's client, but runs much better.
Regards,
][avok

FireAge

Post#3 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:01 pm

I still use VPA myself and sometimes PCC2.
VPA mostly because I have all the keys memorized, so its fast.

PCC2 is not completely done yet, but it's very functional.
It also has an excellent battle simulator.

I think there is some support for 1000 ships games, but I don't see that as being an advantage.
If you increase the amount of ships, you increase the amount of work per turn.
Making the game more into a chore, and less into fun.
Just my opinion.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#4 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Welcome to the site Rowie.

If you were used to VPA + Echoview then that is still a very good combination.

PCC/PCC2 are good alternative and so is JVC.
Winplan has not changed much but is still a loved by many. Winplan 32bit makes Winplan run on 64bit PC as well and also add some new features.

Which ever client you choose, I would say that Echoview for me is still a must.

PlayVCR that come with PCC2 is a must for anyone and should be used no matter which client you use.

Check the guides under the Strategy section for most of them. I can't find my JVC guide there now, but you can look at it at http://vgap.innernet.co.za/category/guides/ if that helps.

The diff. between PHost and THost is by default not very much. But PHost has many extra features that can be enabled. The Brass Tacks games are intended to be PHost setup to behave like THost while the Echo Cluster PHost games have all the extra features on. PHost has great documentation. You can read the exact differences at http://phost.de/phost4doc/first.html

Cardno

Post#5 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:02 am

BitMask wrote: Winplan has not changed much but is still a loved by many.

Yeah, there is one guy in canada...goes by the name of gal, no....goof, no.........mmmm something like that.....

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#6 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:38 am

Cardno wrote:Yeah, there is one guy in canada...goes by the name of gal, no....goof, no.........mmmm something like that.....
There is also another guy who is actually a black fruit, but now moved to Ausie land. Something like Car, Cards ..... #-o
Although I did get him to start using Echoview which was a great achievement.

Cardno

Post#7 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:44 am

oh mate! I was using echoview for a few years before i met you. But your echoview guide is a very good guide - well done.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#8 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:05 am

Cardno wrote:oh mate! I was using echoview for a few years before i met you.
What?!
That was the only achievement I ever had in VGA Planets and now you take that away from me?
If I was not on my last legs in this game I would have had to put might sights on you.

Cardno

Post#9 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:54 am

Hey! You left out the part where I said you wrote a really good guide!

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#10 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:53 am

Ok. Now there is some dignity left after all :)

Rowie007

Post#11 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:56 am

FireAge wrote:I still use VPA myself and sometimes PCC2.
VPA mostly because I have all the keys memorized, so its fast.

PCC2 is not completely done yet, but it's very functional.
It also has an excellent battle simulator.

I think there is some support for 1000 ships games, but I don't see that as being an advantage.
If you increase the amount of ships, you increase the amount of work per turn.
Making the game more into a chore, and less into fun.
Just my opinion.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try and get myself a working (on my new 64 bit Windows) VGAP client and then possibly sign up for a game - if I can still remember how to play!

Personally I dislike the ship limit - not in regards to work per turn, but because of how you alter your strategy around managing the queue. But each to their own I guess.

Rowie

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#12 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:09 pm

There are games that play with a larger limit or use other means of limits.
See UnNatural 6 and Peron Nuisance. They use PLS.
Not all clients can handle the larger ship limit, although most do these days.
But most players like the Vanilla games which has all those limits and stuff. Not sure why that is.

Rowie007

Post#13 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Well I've got Echoview32 up and working, also PCC2. I tried the new Winplan - I assume it's the same Bitmask who just replied to my message?

I had a problem with Winplan32 where it gives me a Registration Error. I only have a registered DOS planets and not Winplan (I meant it when I said I was an old player), is this the reason?

Havok
Site Admin

Post#14 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:33 pm

Rowie007 wrote:Well I've got Echoview32 up and working, also PCC2. I tried the new Winplan - I assume it's the same Bitmask who just replied to my message?

I had a problem with Winplan32 where it gives me a Registration Error. I only have a registered DOS planets and not Winplan (I meant it when I said I was an old player), is this the reason?
That's exactly why. But that won't keep you from using VPA, PCC/PCC2 or JVC.
Regards,
][avok

FireAge

Post#15 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:35 pm

If you are using a DOS planets registration, make sure to use the C2mktrn from PCC2 to build your turn. That way you have the support for 50+ targets without using the UFO4DOS.

Return to “Scuttlebutt”