Floods in Aus

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

Floods in Aus

Post#1 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:37 am

Hoping all our CM friends in upside-down land are OK. Not sure where you are all located but the floods in Queensland are not looking good. Best wishes.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Hawkeye

Re: Floods in Aus

Post#2 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks Gil. We're in Townsville, Queensland at the moment and had our fair share of the rain about 4-5 days back. Minor flooding occured, but nothing to write home about from what we saw. The road north to Ingham was blocked in about 5 places due to swollen rivers, so we used the helicopter to ferry a couple of cyclists doing a charity ride across to the other side

Cardno

Post#3 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:47 pm

People have been hard hit in South East Queenslad. Overall, not as bad as the 2011 floods, but in some places, even worse. Unfortunately however, several people have already lost their ives. Bundaberg, a few hours drive north of Brisbane had the storm centre sit right over the town for 2 - 3 days before moing south. Some places have had 300mm in less than a 24 hour period. Bundaberg is looking at their highest flood levels on record. Over the last 4 days, where I am we would have had between 400 - 500mm. The Wholesale Nursery I work at has gone from critical watershortage of only about 10 days water left to full capacity during this period which would last 9 months without further rain.

Athough downgraded from a Cat 1 Cyclone, this weather system has picked up large amounts of water from a humid trough off-shore. Categorsed by a small center (about 50 by 75 kms) which has been associated with rainfalls of 100-300mm per day, it has been remarkable in tracking down the coastline from Bundy and now on it's way past Brisbane to the Gold Coast, with the center passing right over the mot populated areas of South East Queensland (ie on the Coast). As a result of this, although not tecnically a cycone, the amount of rainall has been in excess to that which many 'proper' cyclones have brought to the party In the past.

200,000 thousand people have been without power for over 24 hours. Our outage is still continuing.

UPDATE: Lockyear Valley in inland SE Queensland has had 600mm in 24 hours. That's a crapload of rain. Half the annual rainfall of lots of places. Plenty of people in strife. My power now out until 10pm tomorrow.

Cardno

Post#4 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:06 am

Check it out - this is at part of the Sunshine Coast where I live. This is the reason I live in the Hinterland and not 8m away from high tide in a beach house...

http://media.smh.com.au/national/select ... 86242.html

FLETCH

Post#5 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:56 am

Stay save those of you in Queensland, hopefully the worst has passed.

Here in Sydney the rain has been constant for about 36 hours with some flash flooding and road closures but nothing too dangerous yet. They are predicting severe winds and very heavy rain to hit around midnight tonight. Emergency services are on alert with more flooding, trees blown down and damage to property predicted through the night.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Cardno

Post#6 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:40 am

I've done some turns - back off home now before it gets dark. No power for another 30 hours apparently.

JonnyDoH

Post#7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Gah. Take care, you guys.
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

FLETCH

Post#8 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:14 am

A couple of Queenslanders after the rain...

FLETCH

FLETCH

Post#9 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:16 am

And while I'm knocking Queenslanders, why not hit the Kiwis as well...

FLETCH

Cardno

Post#10 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:14 am

FLETCH wrote:And while I'm knocking Queenslanders, why not hit the Kiwis as well...

I know you stole that post from my FB wall, where my (loving) wife put it. As I said under THAT post, NZ was not colonised by the Europeans until 1822. Therefore, i'm PRETTY SURE, it would HAVE to be around the other way...... to fit into actual historical timeline accuracy.... Just saying....

FLETCH

Post#11 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:45 am

I actually didn't notice it on your wall. I got it from someone else but it's nice to see your wife keeps you on your toes ;)
FLETCH

Return to “Scuttlebutt”