Server Status

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Havok
Site Admin

Server Status

Post#1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:09 am

Hi everyone. As many of you are already aware the server is offline. I'm currently out of town and unable to personally check out the problem and get things running. I'm unable to remote into the server so either the cable modem is down or the power flickered and turned the servers off. I hope to have things fully restored by tonight after having someone check when they get off work. Thanks for your patience.
Regards,
][avok

FireAge

Re: Server Status

Post#2 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:47 pm

Take your time Havoc, your reliability is much appreciated. =D>

Fonz

Post#3 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:28 pm

Will hosting be delayed for a short while after the server comes back up if there are turns missing? I know it's a bad habit, but I've come to rely on the "Missing turn" emails so I may be missing a turn in one game that had the next host run scheduled for tonight but for which I didn't get the reminder.

jemmini

Post#4 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:33 pm

why so long this time? why it is impossible to solve this problem so that this will never happen again?

Fonz

Post#5 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:42 pm

jemmini wrote:why so long this time? why it is impossible to solve this problem so that this will never happen again?
If I understand ][avok correctly, he's currently out of town and the server can not be fixed remotely. What's more, there's no such thing as "can never happen again". If the computer gets turned off because the power goes out (bad weather, crappy power company, whatever) you're quite simply shit out of luck, unless you have your own backup power source, but that's usually pretty damn expensive.

In short: shit happens.

jemmini

Post#6 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:37 pm

I think there are errors in the algorithm auto-troll. too often these failures occur. such a high failure rate does not indicate the reasons that you have listed.

Fonz

Post#7 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:35 pm

jemmini wrote:I think there are errors in the algorithm auto-troll.
Sure, AutoTroll is known to occasionally fail. However, as far as I know our beloved hosts didn't actually create (or are developing) AutoTroll. They just use it. If there are errors in AutoTroll itself, it's probably not something they can readily fix themselves, it comes with the product and there are few (if any) alternatives.

Gilgamesh

Post#8 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:44 pm

jemmini wrote:I think there are errors in the algorithm auto-troll. too often these failures occur. such a high failure rate does not indicate the reasons that you have listed.
I think what you meant to say was "thank you ][avok for all the hard work and great things you do for us".

Yeah - I'm sure that was it...
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Fonz

Post#9 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:I think what you meant to say was "thank you ][avok for all the hard work and great things you do for us".
Yeah, that too :cylonclap:

With the demise of vgaplanets.dk and (the hosting part of) RCWorld this is one of only preciously few places that still offer(s?) reliable VGAP hosting for a large userbase. I for one am glad I can play here and am inclined to say that minor inconveniences ought to just be taken in stride.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#10 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi everyone. Thanks for your patience.

As it turns out the power had been cut off while contractors were working in the house (they're almost done) and both of my servers were completely powered down. The computers are something out of sight of them and they're completely unaware that they had caused a problem. No big deal. All turns were captured and processed when I got the servers turned back on around 4:30pm EST.

Jemmini... re-read what I posted at the very top of the thread. The issue was not AutoTroll.
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#11 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Thanks ][avok!

=D>
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Return to “Scuttlebutt”