Starfleet Battles vs Alpha Quadrant

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Julius Atreides

Starfleet Battles vs Alpha Quadrant

Post#1 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:06 pm

I've been looking into both of these trying to decide which to do with a bunch of my friends.

I've played SFB here and LOVED the Romulans. The Cloaking Carrier rocked and the cloaking tug didn't hurt either. Of course it looks like the cloaking tug was removed (good call).

Anyway, I was looking at the balance in the ship lists between AQ and SFB and it generally looks to me that the AQ may have a better balanced ship list overall.

What balance issues do you think there are in comparing AQ to SFB is the bottom line of what I'm looking into.

Klauser

Re: Starfleet Battles vs Alpha Quadrant

Post#2 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:08 pm

Thanks for your comment. As the modder who built both SFB and AQ, I am thrilled that the VGAP player base still plays these mods.

As to your question, I may be too close to the mods to be totally objective, but here's my take.

The SFB ship designs and functions are taken straight from the board game. The nature of the board game is such that your baseline cruisers from any race tend to be very balanced against each other. When Spectre (my co-developer) and I were building the shiplist for each race, we tried to keep each races ship classes roughly equal for any given class. After playing the mod and watching the feedback from other players, one possible weakness is that while the balance between classes is pretty good, the mechanics of VGAP resulted in the shiplists as a whole tending to be less balanced. Good examples are the fighter vs. torp advantange and cloaking ships. In later versions of SFB, I scaled back some of those imbalances. I think I did a fair job, but there may be some smaller points I may have missed.

In AQ, I made more effort to have the shipslist be more balanced as a whole, and with the exception of Player 11 (The Maquis), I think it turned out well.

One thing I am very proud of is - compared to Tim's classic ship list - there are relatively few "stupid hulls" in each races ship list for both SFB and AQ. Your strategy may not use every ship in your shiplist, but in general there's a reason the ship is in the list.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Julius Atreides

Post#3 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks for getting back to me. That was pretty much my impression as I compared the two.

In SFB there are some that I would certainly like to play more than others from the mechanical advantage perspective.

In the AQ lists, I quite literally was fine with playing any of the races, including the Maquis.

Though as you mentioned the Maquis certainly does not have the punch the others due in their ship list am not sure that it is so bad as to make them unplayable.

In fact I considered playing the Marquis in the new game we are starting just for the challenge and to test that out. But, I've been wanting to Borg out for a while and I don't think Borging out gets any better than AQ borging :mrgreen:

Klauser

Post#4 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:54 am

Oh, the Maquis are definitely playable, but the ship/race design is skewed towards interaction with other races. Sorta like the Orion in the default Tim list. As some players have rightly pointed out - If your play style doesn't support that, or you have uncooperative neighbors, you could be at a disadvantage.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Return to “Scuttlebutt”