AOL users not receiving turns.

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Havok
Site Admin

AOL users not receiving turns.

Post#1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Over the last 24+ hours some if not all users with AOL email addresses have stopped receiving turns. This seems to only be affecting messages with attachments. This is not affecting AOL email from reaching here.

My IP is not being blocked according to the AOL Postmaster. They did announce some SMTP problems on their end.

No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for
some time, and this warning may be repeated at intervals if the message
remains undelivered. Eventually the mail delivery software will give up,
and when that happens, the message will be returned to you.

I suggest that anyone with an AOL Email account sets up a secondary email so they can get their turns. If you already have a secondary email you may need to turn it on.

I'll have some more info when it becomes available and if anyone has any questions let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
][avok

Havok
Site Admin

Re: AOL users not receiving turns.

Post#2 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:09 am

I've been in contact with AOL again and submitted a complaint. Neither my IP address nor domain appear on any world wide blacklists, the issue is only happening with AOL.com and associated domains like aim.com, etc. I'm waiting for a response from their support. Thanks for your patience.
Regards,
][avok

albatross

Post#3 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:55 am

Seems to work again, got the latest rst via the aim.com account :)

Havok
Site Admin

Post#4 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:25 pm

The AOL problem has been solved. Long story short they were hacked this week and the AOL service was used to send out tons of spam. While working on correcting the compromise they were basically refusing email from most sites, mine included.

This is a great time to remind everyone that you should have a backup email address that's on another network on your account so that you can receive turns during a time such as this. I know this kind of hack is rare, however it would save many of you a lot of trouble and confusion.

I'm going to be rolling back several games 1 turn to help out our AOL users who missed turns this week. I'll address that on a game by game basis. Thanks

AOL confirms Mail service hacked

AOL email hacked: Users complain about compromised accounts

AOL Mail Hacked, Accounts Sending Spam
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Scuttlebutt”