Instagram and other Social Media

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Havok
Site Admin

Instagram and other Social Media

Post#1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:08 am

I'm just curious... How many of you out there use Instagram and other social media services (Twitter, Facebook, Steam, Yelp, Google+ etc. )
Regards,
][avok

FireAge

Re: Instagram

Post#2 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:47 am

Instawhat?

To add to that:
I don't twitter, facebook, linkedin... ehm, there is probably more in that list, but I don't even know all the types.
Last edited by FireAge on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

akshamu

Post#3 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Havok wrote:I'm just curious... How many of you out there use Instagram?
I don't even use twitter and barely texting
An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before.

An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before

Chorgey

Post#4 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:33 pm

No Instagram for me.
South Jersey

Havok
Site Admin

Post#5 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:47 pm

From what I've seen over the years the older players, and I don't mean age, I mean those that have played since the early BBS and WWW days, don't seem to have really embraced social media... There is some flexibility it seems regarding Facebook, or maybe I should awareness... however when you start talking about other popular forms like Twitter or Instagram not as much. Even players that have smart phones don't seem to be interested in anything beyond Facebook. I guess the social media is more for the younger crowd.

All of us are gamers to one degree or another as well. How about Steam? Steam has changed the way we game on our PC's. There used to be a time when we'd hit our local video game store or Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. to get our games and those days are gone. GameStop is console only these days and pretty much worthless. Almost everything is downloaded now via services like Steam, Good Old Games aka GOG etc... Who's got a Steam account or something similar?
Regards,
][avok

akshamu

Post#6 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:30 pm

Havok wrote:From what I've seen over the years the older players, and I don't mean age, I mean those that have played since the early BBS and WWW days, don't seem to have really embraced social media... There is some flexibility it seems regarding Facebook, or maybe I should awareness... however when you start talking about other popular forms like Twitter or Instagram not as much. Even players that have smart phones don't seem to be interested in anything beyond Facebook. I guess the social media is more for the younger crowd.

All of us are gamers to one degree or another as well. How about Steam? Steam has changed the way we game on our PC's. There used to be a time when we'd hit our local video game store or Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. to get our games and those days are gone. GameStop is console only these days and pretty much worthless. Almost everything is downloaded now via services like Steam, Good Old Games aka GOG etc... Who's got a Steam account or something similar?
What's a Steam????

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Instagram and other Social Media

Post#7 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:28 pm

Steam is the online service for buying video games for PC's and Mac's... Been around almost 10 years.

http://store.steampowered.com/
Regards,
][avok

JonnyDoH

Post#8 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:42 pm

I regularly use Facebook and Steam. On occasion I use Linkedin (for those who don't use it, think of it as the "professional" version of Facebook-- use it to maintain contact with former and current coworkers, employers and the like).

Twitter I've used for a job in the past, but that's about it. I know a lot of people tied into it, however-- some say it's the new form of gaining information. Have a slow down with the local train service? The local news might not have anything to report, but if you type the hashtag it's associated with (for example, my local mass transit is called bart (it's an acronym for Bay Area Rapid Transit) and if you go to the twitter world and type #bart, you can get instant updates of why there's a slowdown). I'm tempted to get into it, but it's just another thing to remember a password for-- Plus, I'm usually not in too much of a hurry.

I'm not on Instagram at all (the service is similar to twitter, only you broadcast images rather than text). I hear there are other media streams that do the same service but in a more temporary way, but it's more for the folks who want to flash sexy pics at each other (since all my friends are not sexy, this is the last service I'll likely get into).
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#9 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:26 am

Facebook, Steam and little bit of LinkedIn for me. I've got a Twitter & Google+ account but not using it that much.

FireAge

Post#10 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:27 am

For me, the reason not to use them is privacy. I do not want to "share" with the world or any large mass of people, and I certainly do not want everything I share to become permanently logged on the web.I'll share with my friends while talking or drinking a beer.

The only thing I did have was google+, but that' because I play D&D online (using google hangouts/roll20) with old friends from the university who live all over the world. Now that google+ is no longer neccesary for that, I've deleted my account :D

When you google my name you will not find much, just 3 registrations at VGA planets sites, some running times, and some publication in SPIE. And that's how I like it. :mrgreen:

Andor

Post#11 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:39 am

I have a Steam account, but use it strictly to purchase games. Only 11 games in my library. I created a Facebook account so I could like this site on it :D My wife uses Facebook everyday and I keep in touch with my family through her account. I think there is to much drama on the Internet and tend to stay away from social media because of it. Now, a forum such as this I'm okay with :) I can't believe how many post I have, each one is a new record for me!

albatross

Post#12 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:58 pm

I try to avoid social media, too many adds for my taste. Got Facebook to stay in contact with a couple of friends, that's it.

GOG was an annoyance first, plenty of games there that used to be abandonware.. but what the heck, getting classics that run on modern OS without having to bother is worth a coin I think.

Gavan

Post#13 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:36 am

I have a LinkedIn account for finding work and keeping track of people I enjoyed working with in the past.

I have a Steam account for updates for games I have purchased but I still go and buy the DVD as it is faster than trying to download the entire DVD in the first place.

I do not use Facebook or anything like it as I do not want the world to know all that much about me or forever.
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Gilgamesh

Post#14 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Just facebook. Not interested in learning all that other stuff. I have to do enough of that kind of thing at work.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

akshamu

Post#15 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:54 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Just facebook. Not interested in learning all that other stuff. I have to do enough of that kind of thing at work.
:cry:

Return to “Scuttlebutt”